• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

? Snow bunting in backyard UK (1 Viewer)

aushalk

This is the third time I have seen a pair of these guys in a mixed goldfinch flock at my backyard feeder. Just about had time to grab my camera to take a shot. I am afraid it was very overcast day and I was too panicky:-O

Is this a snow bunting or a brambling

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Attachments

• _T8D6335.jpg
    _T8D6335.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 335
Just on second thoughts, isnt it odd to have two leucistic birds together. They are far from the normal colour of chaffinches

You didn't mention two. Anyway, this one is a chaffinch. If there's two I guess it increases the chances of them just having hopped out of a cage together rather than being wild.

This is the third time I have seen a pair of these guys in a mixed goldfinch flock at my backyard feeder. Just about had time to grab my camera to take a shot. I am afraid it was very overcast day and I was too panicky:-O

Is this a snow bunting or a brambling

Many thanks in advance

Regards

Hi I would say thats a Hybrid chaffinch x brambling and as someone else has said an escapee

Semi-albino Chaffinch ( White patches, not 'overall bleached out' look you would get if they were leucistic ). The fact there are two birds probably indicates they are from the same brood.

Chris

I must read more carefully I must read more carefully I must read more carefully I must... :)
No, it's (wholly or largely) a chaffinch. See the wing pattern.

Last edited:
I'd agree that this is a partial albino or leucistic individual but given that it is with a flock of goldfinches, is it not a partial albino goldfinch?
Semi-albino Chaffinch ( White patches, not 'overall bleached out' look you would get if they were leucistic ). The fact there are two birds probably indicates they are from the same brood.
It's a leucistic Chaffinch.
If you look at the plumage that does show normal colours you will see that it is a perfect match for a male Chaffinch, but the colours present do not fit Snow Bunting, Brambling or Goldfinch (finch species do often mix).

As for whether it is an albino or leucistic, that is potentially a very long debate - the two terms are generally poorly defined and misused to such an extent that it is difficult to work out what is correct!
Albinos are not necessarily white, they only lack melanin (so an albino animal that naturally also has other pigments can still show colour). Leucism can affect all pigments in skin, fur, and feathers, but does not affect eye colour, and typically also doesn't affect the colour of the bill and legs in birds.
Basically it's complicated!;)

I agree that if two birds are present there is a chance that the two are related somehow - I don't see why it should suggest that they are escaped cage birds though.

not wanting to get into debate about the meaning of the words - this is a leucistic male chaffinch.

These guys were visibly bigger than a goldfinch and probably chaffinch. They seem to prefer feed on the ground or the feeder a few inches above the ground (the blackbird feeder) rather than the hanging feeders. Chances are they might be back and I will be able to get a better shot

Just out of interest, why do we think they have escaped a cage??

Many thanks all

Regards

No-one said they had. I said that 'If there's two I guess it increases the chances of them just having hopped out of a cage together rather than being wild.' - i.e. it's more likely that two recently-escaped birds would stay together for a short while than that two brood-siblings would have stayed together for 9 months since fledging.

Buckeye, your not a teacher by any chance are you? you appear to me to be a bit aggressive and tend to talk down to people.

Blimey, no-one's perfect but as a teacher myself I'd say those are two of the least likely attributes you'd expect from one. My teachers in the 70's may have been like that - I know some were - but you certainly won't get very far in a school these days acting like that. Sheesh.....

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back