• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coming back from the shops (1) (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

Old friends will know that most of my 'birding' these days is done on the way back from the shops.

This morning it's a lovely sunny one and no wind so not as chilly as I'd expected, so I nipped (only figuratvively you understand) onto one of the local Golf Courses for a quick keek at the small lakes. Lots of Mallard, C Geese, and Gulls but the first interesting one was a Snipe which came up from the edge of the Bulrushes, about 2 feet away, and jinked off before I could get the camera up (reflexes are getting slower). So after that I carried the camera at the ready but, of course....... Saw a dark shape low over the water, swooped up onto a post, Kingfisher! Got the camera up and......gone!

I gave it up after that, well nearly. I did get a Heron and some assorted Gulls and a flying Mallard or two, but it wasn't the same. Drat!!!!!!

Saw just a couple of late Swallows and a bit surprised to see them, mostly they've gone from the usual places. So

Autumn thoughts

I really should be going soon,
I ought to be on my way.
The days are getting shorter,
And I really shouldn't stay.
But the weathers' been quite pleasant, and we still have sunny skies,
So I'll stay a little longer till I've eaten all the flies.

Bill.

bill moss said:
Autumn thoughts

I ought to be on my way.

Bill.

Thanks for the poem Bill, it really is a glorious morning, I love these Autumn mornings, there was a haze in the valley and dew on all the plants - the spiders webs are amazing at this time of the year - why I wonder.

I shall also go for a walk to my local park - see if there are any conkers about yet - I collect them for the children at a Nursery I sometimes visit - cannot completely stop work, I miss the buzz to much.

Enjoy your day

Bridie

Hello Bill and thanks for that lovely poem - it sums up our wonderful Swallows so well! Which reminds me....I MUST stick my head outside and check that they are still here this morning! They've been getting awfully excited and twittery and whizzing around the cottage in large groups over the past day or so...though I think that's just the latest brood having just left the nest in our sheds.

It's a glorious sunny day up here in Northumberland this morning...I'll be popping off down to the ponds behind Branton soon to see what's about.

Gill

Hello Bill,

I know I haven't posted much on many of your threads on the 'other board', but I did read them. I was so pleased to see the headline 'Coming back from the shops'. I knew at once who it was from. Welcome.

Cathy. :-O

Hi Bill,

I reckon some of your swallows are the ones that I saw this morning on my way home from the shops too. There were about a dozen of them just outside of town and I thought then that they still had a long way to go. Our martins only left the area about 10 days ago, but there have been lots around between here and the south coast. We wish them a safe journey and for them to return safely next spring. :flyaway:

May have problems doing a quiz over the next 10 days or so as we are having major work done in the house, but I`ll try to find a way to get to the computer!

Wendy.

On the way back from the shops

I knew exactly who it was the minute I saw the title!!
And the poem just typifies the day today........wonderful.
Thanks Bill.

Hello Bill, We were going to Deal to pick up the girls and we saw some swallows. I thought they were a bit late leaving. I hope they get home safe!
Hope you and yours are well. Rose.

Hi Lady,

Pleased that you found your way over here. How are the Badgers?

Now I've finally got the chance to show you one of my Blue Tits when they were nesting earlier in the year.

Keep in touch, Bill

Attachments

• DS bluetit at nestbox 05.05 1.jpg
    DS bluetit at nestbox 05.05 1.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DS bluetit in nestbox 05.05 1.jpg
    DS bluetit in nestbox 05.05 1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 22
Hi, Rose,

Yes, how are your badgers? Mine are fine but are getting competition from two foxes, who have beaten him to it tonight! Had a stand off between them the other night. Fascinating! I am waiting to here the dish clank. He should be ok if the foxes don't discover that as well.

Hi, Bill, loved the poem. B :)

Night, both

Thelma

Hello You two, The boys are fine. They were here before 8 this evening. They are giving the neighbours a bit of a turn. The alley where they come into the garden is a public footpath and that early in the evening people are still using the footpath and bumping into badgers. Imagine their surprise! Bill your blutits are gorgeous, you are clever with your photos. T'other Rose and I were having breakfast this morning and we are both quite sure we heard a sparrowhawk in the scrubby woods behind us. I'm also pretty sure I saw one over the playground the other lunchtime. And what about the osprey apparently one was resting in Hythe over the weekend. Wish I'd know, I would have had a drive down to see it. Next time perhaps. Happy days, Rose.

Hi Bill,

Loved the poem and the pics of the Bluetits.Really glad to see you are settling into BF.
It seems your fellow friends from the beeb are too,especially since you joined them. :clap:

Salut my dear Bill, comment ça va?

Loved your latest poem. This is the BEST time of the year, isn't it? Hazy morning light shining through the trees (yes, I DO sometimes get up in the mornings!), dew on spiders' webs, Blackbirds returning... aaah!

I await your 3rd "simple" quiz with fear and trepidation!

Love from Chanteuse

Last edited:
bill moss said:
Hi folks,

Old friends will know that most of my 'birding' these days is done on the way back from the shops.

This morning it's a lovely sunny one and no wind so not as chilly as I'd expected, so I nipped (only figuratvively you understand) onto one of the local Golf Courses for a quick keek at the small lakes. Lots of Mallard, C Geese, and Gulls but the first interesting one was a Snipe which came up from the edge of the Bulrushes, about 2 feet away, and jinked off before I could get the camera up (reflexes are getting slower). So after that I carried the camera at the ready but, of course....... Saw a dark shape low over the water, swooped up onto a post, Kingfisher! Got the camera up and......gone!

I gave it up after that, well nearly. I did get a Heron and some assorted Gulls and a flying Mallard or two, but it wasn't the same. Drat!!!!!!

Saw just a couple of late Swallows and a bit surprised to see them, mostly they've gone from the usual places. So

Autumn thoughts

I ought to be on my way.

Bill.
Hi bill just posted hello to Linda B and hoped that you would find away to do your quizzes, I think a big thank you to Brian & Birdforum for getting us all together. great to talkto you Bill keep well.

Hi Walt,
Great to hear from you again!!
Yes,it's wonderful that we can all stay together here thanks to Brian and Birdforum.
Speak soon,best wishes,

Hi Bill.

I don't know what you've been living on; you don't seem to have been coming back from the shops for weeks. Good to have the quizzes and poems back.

Cheers, my friend.
Baz.

Hi Bill,

Wonderful to read that title again.

By the way Bill, we had time for a little Birding over the last few days and..........SORRY....but we had the Kingfisher you missed out on! Not the best of shots, but a first one for photographing. Sorry to be one up on you!

Love, Sue

BazR said:
Hi Bill.

I don't know what you've been living on; you don't seem to have been coming back from the shops for weeks. Good to have the quizzes and poems back.

Cheers, my friend.
Baz.

Hi Baz - any reason that you've always got a blue and a black undefined? Or does it simply mean that you are??? Just querying!

Love, Sue

Undefined.

Sue & Terry said:
Hi Baz - any reason that you've always got a blue and a black undefined? Or does it simply mean that you are??? Just querying!

Love, Sue

Hi Sue.

It's down to my ignorance I suppose love. I haven't a clue what it's all about; perhaps you in your capacity as 'resident genius', LOL!!, could enlighten me.
Thanks in anticipation.
Away for a fortnight from Thursday; off to Canada to see family.
Love.
Baz.

Hi Baz,

No I'm not living on fresh air mate, but you don't want to hear about the 'Went to the shops today, nothing interesting happened' now do you?

Still, every now and then you DO see something, like this little chap. He wasn't concerned about me stopping the car and leaning out of the window, he was too interested in something else going on off the road.

Bill.

Attachments

• DS rabbit, young 7.jpg
    DS rabbit, young 7.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 30
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back