• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (17 Viewers)

Popped in this afternoon for a couple of hours

MOORS POOL
1 Buzzard sat roadside, 2 Oystercatcher, Common Tern, 2 Mute Swan, 2 Teal, 30+ Tufted Duck, 2 LBB Gull, 7 GC Grebe, 1 Grey Heron, 20 + Canadian Geese, Lapwings, many swallows and HM's.

SAILING POOL
4 GC Grebe, Grey Wagtail, Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs in the Education Reserve.

FLASHES
4 Avocet, 3 LRP, 1 Oystercatcher, 4 Lapwing, 2 Shelduck, Lapwing and the normal.

Thought the reserve looked fantastic. Just need some heating in those hides !

Had a great first day trip to Upton Warren.

spent a bit of time in the Water Rail hide at Moors Pool, but no pictures to speak of. Saw a Buzzard huting at the opposite end of the pool to the car park, but decided to give the Avocets a try at the flashes.

Enjoyed each of the 3 hides there, each giving better photo opportunities as i went along, right to getting the Avocets in the little lagoon to the left of the 3rd hide, so that was awesome.

also had good results with the Lapwing, Little Ringed Plover, a couple looking rather frisky - pics to folllow.

Good to meet John (upstarts) & Pete, looking forward to visiting again soon.

Had a great first day trip to Upton Warren.

spent a bit of time in the Water Rail hide at Moors Pool, but no pictures to speak of. Saw a Buzzard huting at the opposite end of the pool to the car park, but decided to give the Avocets a try at the flashes.

Enjoyed each of the 3 hides there, each giving better photo opportunities as i went along, right to getting the Avocets in the little lagoon to the left of the 3rd hide, so that was awesome.

also had good results with the Lapwing, Little Ringed Plover, a couple looking rather frisky - pics to folllow.

Good to meet John (upstarts) & Pete, looking forward to visiting again soon.

Glad you enjoyed it Dan, nice to meet you too mate.
B :)John
ps you visited on a pretty cold quiet day, so can only get better...honest8-P

I have been informed there was a Common Tern on the Moors this arvo

a pic from the Lepidoptera side of things today( bridge club :t: )

Attachments

• otip1.jpg
    otip1.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 68
MOORS POOL
1 Snipe, 2 Oystercatcher, 2 Mute Swan, 2 Teal, 1 Cormorant, 30+ Tufted Duck, 2 LBB Gull, 6 GC Grebe, 2 Grey Heron, approx 50 hirundines (mainly Sand Martins)

SAILING POOL
6 GC Grebe, Willow Warbler. Muchos Blackcaps and Chiffies in the Education Reserve.

FLASHES
Only 4 Avocet, 6 LRP, 1 Oystercatcher, 2 Gadwall, 7 Lapwing, 1 shelduck, Willow Warbler, Common Tern reported through, Common Gull over, 4 LBB Gull, Reed Warbler singing at the Hen Pool

To add to Phil's sightings. Cold N - NW force 4, 10 degrees C in sheltered areas, poss zero in the wind. mostly sunny
Moors: snipe 2, Teal 4 (pr + 2 fems - unusual to see unattached fems), greylag 2, Tufted 45, GCG 8, little grebe, water rail 2 singing, Herring gull 1st summer (small black eye, clean pure white head), hirundine 150 (60% swallow 40% sand martin and 1 house martin, reed warbler causeway, (sedge warbler reported in front of concrete hide), at least 1 willow warbler singing near secret garden, many warblers were singing very softly and briefly - maybe as a result of the cold northerly winds.

Education reserveWillow warbler 3, c20 hirundines.

FLASHES Avocet 6, lapwing 8, common gull 2nd summer, blackcap 3 singing,
young blackbird and song thrush carrying food both by bridge.
B :)John 2 new year ticks reed warbler at hen pool and Moors causeway, common tern - moors

From today at the Moors:
Pic 1: The Heron flew in from the direction of the farm carrying what looks to me like a rat. Landed & eventually ate it.
Pic 2: Having eaten the rat it then went fishing & caught this good sized Perch, ate that.
Pic 3: Second fishing expedition 10 mins later, caught a second, equally as big, Perch & ate that.
Total time elapsed about 30-40 mins!

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB9423 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9423 - Version 2.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 104
  • _ROB9475 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9475 - Version 2.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 85
  • _ROB9562 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9562 - Version 2.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 83
Common Tern at the Moors this afternoon.
Kingfisher fishing in front of the Water Rail hide.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB9623 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9623 - Version 2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 82
  • _ROB9644 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9644 - Version 2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 104
  • _ROB9684 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9684 - Version 2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 83
From today at the Moors:
Pic 1: The Heron flew in from the direction of the farm carrying what looks to me like a rat. Landed & eventually ate it.
Pic 2: Having eaten the rat it then went fishing & caught this good sized Perch, ate that.
Pic 3: Second fishing expedition 10 mins later, caught a second, equally as big, Perch & ate that.
Total time elapsed about 30-40 mins!

Rob

Lovely set of images there, well caught

Thanks Rob,

Yea enjoyed my day out, looking forward to getting back again so much to see there - at one point i had the Little Ringed Plover on top of one another, in front of those the Avocet came through and to the right i had a Lapwing nearing the hide...didn't know where to point the lens haha.

Will let you know when i head down again, be good to meet a fellow togger

Hi Rob,

Great pics of the heron feeding
Look forward to meeting up with you again
Stephen ( we left the concrete hide together this afternoon)

Just a quick message to the chap I met up with at the reserve over the weekend ( Mike? sorry please correct me if I have your name wrong next time we meet.) I forgot to mention had to take the name of g.h.2012 on the U.W.W. flicker site (g.h.1 allready taken.)
Cheers Glenn (Panasonic Man!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back