• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Pictures (5 Viewers)

Never liked using oils meself but looks like you can turn your hand to any medium Arthur, no criticism of your painting but maybe a hint of shadow underfoot might just be the finishing touch.

I've always hated painting in oils, probably because I excel at making a muddy mess that takes weeks to dry, you've done yourself proud Arthur. Agree with Mouldy that one or two adjustments in the background could make all the difference, but the bird at least is a stunner, I can feel him pelting that song out full throttle!

I agree with you, but I think I was getting a bit frustrated with it in the end

have a look at it in a few days when frustration has dissipated, the amount of pictures I've ruined because they started to p*ss me off is phenomenal. It's as if I try and get revenge on them by painting them to death for being so annoying!

The bird has worked great!
The thing I find about oil painting is that I need a stronger idea (even than when working in watercolour) of how the finished painting will look - even before I start the damn thing. As Nick says, the whole thing can get into a right old mess if you just keep adding colour and paint to the mix.
A smallish watercolour (or pref. acryilic) painting as a guide to the ensuing masterpiece, can have huge benefits. Also - make sure that you have all your necessary reference material to hand when making the painting. Just because oils is a medium which allows re-working, doesn't mean you can afford to be wishy-washy about the whole comp. and colour structure - quite the opposite, in my opinion. I have to blend edges into edges when oil painting - and if my 'other' edge is a piece of moorland, I need to know how it looks before I start blending (If that makes sense!!!).
Er - I've just re-read this and it ONLY just makes sense to me, so please querie if unsure of what I'm on about.

My second ever fin. picture in Oils.
I kept it simple and I need alot, lot more practice.
Sorry Woody couldn't resist a Waggy.

Who can resist a waggy?!

I reckon that's a great effort with oils. I've tried, and tried again, and only this weekend I tried again! Mine was a portrait of my daughter but it ended up as a blue/grey canvas tinted to paint something on later. The biggest problem I find is the drying time, I want to paint, not wait for paint to dry!
So well done Arthur, I'm sure if you keep at it you'll crack it and I'm pretty sure I won't!

Woody

Thanks Woody,the drying time or even waiting for it to go tacky so the next layer will stick. You need far to much room to. wet paint everywhere.prob. try again later on. Need to get out on the marshes and do some sketching.

Gents - I think that's what I was trying to say - that I find I need to know more or less exactly what colour's going where (when oil painting). A bit like painting by numbers, if you get my drift? Too much on-canvas blending can really spoil the effect.

Welcome , I'me pleased you like the thread. Get sketching and let us all see the results. It's brilliant for bird I.D. because you really have to closely look at the bird, so don't be afraid to have a go.there are plenty of people in the forum to help you.

Your confidence in this medium is striking, it's always good to play with new media (all part of the process), but this picture looks more complete than the last one, nice stuff.

Arthur - you're obviously mastering the pencils (very difficult) and this is lovely - but please don't give up on the oils. I can see something very nice in the other version, quite substantial but subtle too. Keep at them.

Thankyou both,
Alan goodluck with the exhibition you have going.
Tim I won't give up on oils , it won't beat me prob. have a lot of muddy ones till I get it right.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back