• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

I heard an interesting proposal this afternoon: that any records withheld (I would not use the term ‘suppressed’), without sufficient reason, should be deemed unworthy of submission to the BBRC- thus, rejected even before consideration.

Thats a ridiculous idea, if a bird is in Britain, a bird is in Britain, recording helps conservation, not listers. Even if a rarity turns up in an extremely accessible place (centre circle at Wembley) it is still the right of the owner to decide if they want hundreds of people turning up there or not. That doesnt make the record any less valid

Err no
Bird near where people feed the ducks

I popped in to Whitlingham this morning to have a quick look for Smew or anything else unusual, and was somewhat perturbed to meet a small group of birdwatchers who had clearly come for the sole purpose of seeing the RB Goose. When I suggested it was an escape, they seemed most perturbed and then left immediately. One sometimes despairs. I hope they hadn't come far.

Cheers

Andy

I popped in to Whitlingham this morning to have a quick look for Smew or anything else unusual, and was somewhat perturbed to meet a small group of birdwatchers who had clearly come for the sole purpose of seeing the RB Goose. When I suggested it was an escape, they seemed most perturbed and then left immediately. One sometimes despairs. I hope they hadn't come far.

Cheers

Andy

I reported it to BirdGuides as "Red-breasted Goose (escape)", and they put up their escape icon next to the sighting. I don't know whether RBA noted that it was an escape?

Presumably it has been noted with the county recorder? I find the little appendix at the end of the Norfolk Bird and Mammal report to be very interesting, and even if it is an 'obvious escapee', the more data you have would be useful in working out what these liberated individuals are doing in the wild. Also agree with Andy, a red breasted goose is still a stonker, I've only seen escapees in the UK, but they should still brighten any day in the field!

Czech beer at Salthouse ?

The beach car park is continuing to feature c20 Snow Buntings, attracted by cast seed.

At Gramboro’, the birds were few and far between. The scenery was enhanced by this duo: with the upper bud wiser than the lower, having not yet deemed it warm enough to open.

Attachments

• 009psesm.jpg
    009psesm.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 112
Titchwell January 10th

Today's highlights

Northern harrier - immature male over Thornham saltmarsh
Iceland gull - 1 on fresh marsh briefly @ 14:15
Snow bunting - 30 on beach
Lapland bunting - 1 over main path
Red-necked grebe - 4 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 2 offshore
Long-tailed duck - 6 offshore
Scaup - female on fresh marsh
Pale-bellied brent goose - 7 with main brent flock
Twite - 40 on brackish marsh
Water pipit - 4 on fresh marsh
Whooper swan - 1 in field by access road

Pink-footed goose - 37,350 left the Snettisham roost this morning
Waxwing - 2 near Rotary Hide at Snettisham this morning

Paul

Strump was excellent today, with Bitterns and Otters very visible!
I don't think Strumpshaw needs any more good publicity. ;) I couldn't find anywhere to park there yesterday and in the end gave up and went home. It didn't help that the overflow car park was shut though. Nice shot of the Otter.

Ron

Last edited:
A cracking day out

We had a cracking day out today, heading from Norwich up to North West norfolk, first stop choseley where both Corn Bunting & Yellowhammer obliged very shortly after arriving. Moving on to Titchwell for the high tide around 10am we soon picked up no less than 4 Red-necked Grebes, 2 Slavonian Grebes, c6 Long-tailed Ducks, 3+ Velvet Scoter with the common scoter flock along with numerous Eider, Goldeneye & Mergs. Interestingly a ring tail hen harrier also flew east over the sea, maybe hunting scoter?! Back on the reserve up to 4 Water Pipits, 40 Twite and the female Scaup showed. Turning round a ring tail harrier appeared over thornham marsh, a quick look through the scope revealed it to be the Northern Harrier, luckily for us it came close and gave a superb fly-by. After a sausage roll and cup of tea we moved on finding a Ross's Goose with several thousand Pink-feet inland from Brancaster. Leaving the Geese we headed back to the coast road and stopped overlooking Burnham Norton marshes where presumably the same Ross's Goose then dropped in. Birds seemed to be following us as a scan through 3 ring tail harriers revealed one to be the Northern Harrier which gave another more distant fly-by. We finished off with 2 Rough-legged Buzzards sparring over the east end of scolt head. What a fantastic day out, you have to love Norfolk on days like these.

Titchwell January 11th

Today's highlights

Long-tailed duck - 10 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Red-necked grebe - 1 offshore
Velvet scoter - 2 offshore
Twite - 49 on brackish marsh
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

I reported it to BirdGuides as "Red-breasted Goose (escape)", and they put up their escape icon next to the sighting. I don't know whether RBA noted that it was an escape?

Hi James, no RBA didnt as i received the message and thought wow!, if I have time I will try and go back via Norwich to fit it in - which I wouldnt have done had it said ESCAPEE. In anycase - ran out of time so never got there.
Tina

If my memory serves me right it was announced in non capital letters. If it had been classed as a genuine bird it would have been in capital letters as the Pilling, Lancs bird is.

John

Hi James, no RBA didnt as i received the message and thought wow!, if I have time I will try and go back via Norwich to fit it in - which I wouldnt have done had it said ESCAPEE. In anycase - ran out of time so never got there.
Tina

Norfolk winter magic

Finally managed to go out birding for the first time this year! Managed over 90 sps:
Northern Harrier flew through Thornham around 9am
Titchwell
Long T Duck
Red N Grebe 2+
Slav Grebe
Eider 5+
Velvet Scoter 2
Twite 45+
Shore Lark 5
Water Pipit
Spotted Redshank
Snow Buntings
Scaup (not the most obvious individual!)
Whooper Swan

Cley- Am Wigeon, Black Brant and Pale B Brent

Finished with a Bewicks Swan between Cley and Holt amongst 1000's Pink feet but could not find any Bean Geese amongst the group.
B :)

Last edited:
Titchwell January 12th

Today's highlights

Shorelark - 8 on brackish marsh
Twite - 50 on brackish marsh
Red-necked grebe - 2 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 2 offshore
Water pipit - 1 on fresh marsh
Pale-bellied brent goose - 4 on fresh marsh
Snow bunting - 53 on beach

Paul

Finally managed to go out birding for the first time this year! Managed over 90 sps:
Northern Harrier flew through Thornam around 9am
Titchwell
Long T Duck
Red N Grebe 2+
Slav Grebe
Eider 5+
Velvet Scoter 2
Twite 45+
Shore Lark 5
Water Pipit
Spotted Redshank
Snow Buntings
Scaup (not the most obvious individual!)
Whooper Swan

Cley- Am Wigeon, Black Brant and Pale B Brent

Finished with a Bewicks Swan between Cley and Holt amongst 1000's Pink feet but could not find any Bean Geese amongst the group.
B :)

Sounds like a cracking days birding.

I had what must have been this bird a few days ago in presumably the same field and assumed it was Bewicks based on size but had neither bins nor scope with me. When I went back the next day with bins the field held just a single Pink-foot (having had several hundred or more the day before). So I am pleased that someone else has found it and confirmed my suspicions.

Pete

Cracking day out last Sunday with 3 Great Northern and a fantastically close Black throated Diver past Holme in the morning, and the Shorelarks, Twite and Northern Harrier at Titchwell in the afternoon. Highlight of the weekend was back on the patch at Snettisham, where I counted 74 Woodcock coming out to feed on the grazing fields at Ken Hill marsh. There is a public footpath which goes from the inner bank at Snettisham Coastal park (opposite the concrete sea defence) and runs through the fields and up to ken Hill wood. The birds were all coming out over the small section of woodland, on the right hand side of the path immediately after you have crossed over the style, with the first birds appearing around 16:20. How many more are out there?!!

Must have been a fantastic sight, thanks for letting the forum know! I seem to remember a large number were counted last winter, around the Haddiscoe area (where people were watching the RLB and Shorties). Still much we don't know about Woodcock.
Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back