• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (2 Viewers)

An evening trip to Salobrar was rewarded with great views of the male Hen Harrier that is roosting there. For me, this is one of the most beautiful and charismatic birds in the world. I won’t even mention grouse moors.
Also, around 23 Marsh harriers roosting too with a dozen birds in the air at the same time. The Water rails were noisy.
Martin. I was surrounded by mosquitoes tonight but none were biting. I actually don’t know when they start devouring humans but there were thousands.
Mike

Being on the marsh in the dark is amazing, so quiet and beautiful, just the birds and me. Bliss.
Mike

Attachments

• F161E21C-7580-4CF9-879F-168DAE28951B.jpg
    F161E21C-7580-4CF9-879F-168DAE28951B.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 55
Here in la Gola we are happy with our Cattle Egrets (9 today), together with BH Gulls, YL Gull, Grey Heron, Little Egret... This morning one Cetti's Warbler was singing in Torrent de Gommar. ;)

Regards.
Cristina.

Attachments

• 100_1820.jpg
    100_1820.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_1821.jpg
    100_1821.jpg
    724.5 KB · Views: 41
Calendar 2018

Hello!
we already have some more Birdwatching Calendars al the Centre!
;)

Attachments

• 20180216_134138.jpg
    20180216_134138.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 45
Common Gull

These 2 lasts days, the real great new in Majorca is a common gull (larus canus) located inbetween the beaches of Cala Gamba and Ciutat Jardi, very close to Palma and the airport.

The gull is giving local birders the possibility of a lifer for most of them, and the mobile phones and the groups of instant messages are on fire ;)

The common gull is very scarce in Majorca, even 1 or 2 are seen every winter, but never so long time and in a easy to access place.

Attachments

• 114_GavinaCendrosa.jpg
    114_GavinaCendrosa.jpg
    852.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Thanks Pep. I was lucky enough to see it this morning. As Pep says, it ranges from the shoreline at Cuitat Jardín, to the wall by the boats at Cala Gamba.
Being me, I ran from one to the other. When I was in one place, the bird was at the other one.
There is no hope, you can’t take the twitch out of the twitcher.
Mike

Six Whinchats in the Boquer Valley seems incredibly early. Still, they were seen by a very experienced birder, it’s just unheard of for this time of the year. Mike

Up Fishermans Walk in Calla San Vincente.
Birds seen included Balearic Warblers, Booted Eagles, Blue Rock Thrush and Wren.

A visit to Pollensa for Coffee by the Roman Bridge gave good views over Ternelle Valley of Black Vultures and Booted Eagle.

Attachments

• BFDD0F41-D3B9-4478-BA0E-5F625F950CA0.jpeg
    BFDD0F41-D3B9-4478-BA0E-5F625F950CA0.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
A brief visit to my local lighthouse this afternoon. A bit early in the day but I still logged over 200 Balearic Shearwaters in just under one hour. Soon they will number in their thousands, late afternoon and early evening are best. It’s spectacular.
Seven Common Dolphins kept me amused, they seemed to be having fun breaching the water together.
I also saw bees and a Humming-bird hawkmoth which I thought was a bit early but I don’t know enough. It looked duller than normal so maybe a different species? Mike

A visit to Soller and the Port with friends. Quiet on the bird front with a few Booted Eagles, Kestrels, Cormorants, Yellow legged Gulls. A few butterflies enjoying the sun including Cleopatra and Spectled wood.

30 Years of s'Albufera Natural Park

Today it has been the celebration of the 30th years of the declaration of s'Albufera as a Natural Park, after the event, I have been birding a little there and plus the usual, there was 1 Black-tailed Godwit, and in sa Roca 3 glosy Ibis, and 12 marbled duck.
Birds begin to return from the south.

Attachments

• 3Moritos.jpg
    3Moritos.jpg
    778.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 117_IbisNegre.jpg
    117_IbisNegre.jpg
    719.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 116_CegallMosson8.jpg
    116_CegallMosson8.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 059_Roseta8.jpg
    059_Roseta8.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 41
Great news Pep that the Glossy Ibis have returned, hopefully to breed again.
When and where is the book launch in Palma please? A few of us would like to come and buy copies. Thanks. Mike

Last edited:
I also saw bees and a Humming-bird hawkmoth which I thought was a bit early but I don’t know enough. It looked duller than normal so maybe a different species? Mike

Hi Mike
Humming-bird Hawk will be resident and I would expect it at almost any time of year but probably inactive in the coldest and hottest months. There's no real alternative.
Martin

Thanks Martin.
The Cap de Ses Salines was quite good this morning following high winds yesterday. An Osprey in-off the sea was a good start, a cock Pheasant on a rock by the water’s edge was a bit of a surprise and there were high numbers of Balearic Shearwaters, impossible to count as they were all going in different directions!
Later at the salt pans it was all a bit quiet. One Temminck’s stint, Avocets, Flamingoes, a few Redshank and Curlew.
The sky was full of raptors though, Booted eagles, Red kites and lots of Marsh harriers.
Mike

A visit to S’Albuferata and Son Real.

Birds seen included Black winged Stilts, Flamingos, Marsh Harriers, Turnstone(1), Kentish Plovers, Audouins Gulls, Greenshank, Common Sandpiper, and Thekla Larks.

Three Alpine Accentors were seen yesterday in the Boquer Valley, about three-quarters of the way down on the rocks on the right hand side. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back