• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipedreams anyone? (1 Viewer)

Bob - Duct tape? Not even Gorilla tape. Be serious. The caps are made of synthetic rubber and always tear at the insertion of the cap into the rubber body. My less than satisfactory repair is to use sticky back velcro strips which hold the caps on the inside of the barrels when they are removed from the objectives. They are out of the way and don't blow away or get dropped, Not very aesthetic but it works. Unless you have one of these junior monsters, it is hard to perceive that they are tethered by a very weak system. John

Brock,

I agree that the Docter 15x60 Nobilem comes pretty close and for this level of quality it is quite reasonably priced. However, as a glasses-wearer I would prefer twist-up (down) eyecups and the 15 mm eye relief is borderline. In addition, I think looksharp65 is on to something with his concept of perceived fov, a characteristic which my 10x42 SV has in abundance; hence the preference for roof prisms.

The weight of the Nobilem would not be a great handicap. With covers and strap my SV weighs 1 kg and in certain situations I'm willing to carry a monopod which, with head and bino adapter, weighs 1,4 kg. With a visus of only 1,0/0,7 I was able to read number plates at about 250 m, which I think would pose a problem for most freehanded....

John

John,

I hear you on the ER issue. The ER isn't long, but neither is the ER on some of the Ultravids, and the 8x32 EL and 8x30 SLCneu only have 15mm ER. So I still don't understand what is "outdated" about them, other than that they are porros.

They would be tough to use freehand for someone who uses glasses since the eyecups help "anchor" your face, then again, may not with the new magnesium body version that Mark has. :)

Someone told me, in fact, I thought it was Mark, that Docter was supposed to release the magnesium version but then didn't. Apparently, it was just a delay.

Interesting about the increased perceived AFOV of the 10x42 SV. I noticed the same thing with the 10x42 HG/L.

What do these two bins have in common? They have field flatteners and low distortion.

According to Henry, the barrel distortion at the edges should actually make the AFOV look smaller, not larger, because image size decreases at the edges whereas the opposite is true with bins with a lot of pincushion which stretch the image at the edge.

None-the-less, comparing the 10x42 HG side by side with the 10x42 SE, the AFOV looks noticeably larger to me in the HG. Gives a more open feel. I even took the eyecups off the SE to see if this was the issue, but it wasn't. Even with the eyecups off the SE, the AFOV on the HG looked larger.

Brock

They would be tough to use freehand for someone who uses glasses since the eyecups help "anchor" your face, then again, may not with the new magnesium body version that Mark has. :)

Someone told me, in fact, I thought it was Mark, that Docter was supposed to release the magnesium version but then didn't. Apparently, it was just a delay.

I did indeed have to wait almost 1,5 year to finally get the Nobilems, during which time the old stock was being sold off. The thing is, I've never understood why they aren't lighter if they're supposed to be magnesium. With neck strap, caps and tripod adapter attached I weighed them at 1680g. Spec says 1550g (that would be without strap etc.) but I thought that was the weight specified for the non-magnesium version earlier too.

I've sent Docter an e-mail asking what it is they sold me. Not that it matters much as I'm perfectly happy with the weight, the optics, the mechanics, everything.

Mark.

I guess my pipe dream would be a 15x60 SE. I occasionally do some long range terrestrial glassing with 15x-18x binoculars and also use this magnification for astronomy. My 15x60 GAT T* and 18x70 IF SP are great but I've never understood why Nikon didn't make the next incremental step up from the 12x50 in the great SE series and offer a 15x60 version.

A truly modern version of a wide field 7x35 porro with the latest coating would be something worth owning also.

Steve

I guess my pipe dream would be a 15x60 SE. I occasionally do some long range terrestrial glassing with 15x-18x binoculars and also use this magnification for astronomy. My 15x60 GAT T* and 18x70 IF SP are great but I've never understood why Nikon didn't make the next incremental step up from the 12x50 in the great SE series and offer a 15x60 version.

A truly modern version of a wide field 7x35 porro with the latest coating would be something worth owning also.

Steve

I understand that Nikon uses the same eyepieces and prisms on all 3 SEs. They might also be able to use it on a 60mm objective (with maybe a little tweaking) to get a 15 x 60? Don't know if the Prisms would be big enough though.

I would buy one.

Bob

Pipedreams?

Three porros from Zeiss: The 8x30B and the 8x50B with modern coatings, and the classic 10x50 porro with modern eyepieces and modern coatings.

I would love someone to make a decent zoom binocular, nothing outlandish a 42mm with a 6x - 12x zoom would be a great all purpose device.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back