• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (12 Viewers)

And some more:

Attachments

• pelican.JPG
    pelican.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 57
  • semi.JPG
    semi.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Spotted.JPG
    Spotted.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Wilson.JPG
    Wilson.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 52
  • unknown warbler.JPG
    unknown warbler.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
you can tell its quiet in Norfolk...nice shots from Mexico...the last one marked as 'unknown warbler' is a vireo - blue headed or yellow throated - now one of those would be good in Norfolk!
I believe it was this day many years ago that the Cornwall yellow-throated vireo was found..now that was a good bird :)

Lol, you'll be lucky to get a trip report Tom, I was out there for 5 weeks! Wasn't really a birding holiday either, so didn't even manage a whole days birding in one go; just bits here and there. Still fantastic though.

The birds are: (I hope)

Sociable Flycatcher
Yellow Warbler
Osprey
Altamira Oriole
Least Sandpipers
Brown Pelican
Semipalmated Plover
Spotted Sandpiper
Wilsons Plover
Yellow-Throated Vireo (Thanks)

Lots of other birds seen also, obviously. I'll put a list in the list section at some point.

Followed a sizeable tit flock plus a Chiffy along the lane this afternoon then stumbled across a nice Pied Fly just over the boundary in Lessingham...

James

a nice short-eared owl at Titchwell this afternoon, also a few curlew sand and a little stint on the freshmarsh.

May I ask what time of day you saw the Owl, (before 17.00'ish?)and was it over the saltmarsh to the west of the public footpath?

Might make a go of it monday if it's still about ..gotta get that last bus at 17.14 tho ..arrrgh!!

Matt

Last edited:
May I ask what time of day you saw the Owl, (before 17.00'ish?)and was it over the saltmarsh to the west of the public footpath?

Might make a go of it monday if it's still about ..gotta get that last bus at 17.14 tho ..arrrgh!!

Matt

The owl was first seen over the saltmarsh looking towards Thornham (far end of the path), it then flew acorss the path and dropped down into the dunes, then went back Thornham side and settled down on the deck. I would guess that it had just come in off the sea and would not be surprised if it doesn't hang around. I guess we saw it at ~3pm.

I have a whole week's holiday for birding in Norfolk;):t: as from Friday mid afternoon!!!!! Will be doing as much birding as I possibly can!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

The owl was first seen over the saltmarsh looking towards Thornham (far end of the path), it then flew acorss the path and dropped down into the dunes, then went back Thornham side and settled down on the deck. I would guess that it had just come in off the sea and would not be surprised if it doesn't hang around. I guess we saw it at ~3pm.

Thanks ..I expect there will be more in the area soon enough!

Matt

I have a whole week's holiday for birding in Norfolk;):t: as from Friday mid afternoon!!!!! Will be doing as much birding as I possibly can!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Thank goodness for holiday, shame there arent more of them.... Have to wait until mid october for mine!

The conditions for saturday dont look too bad, see where will the rares be this weekend in... in the rarebird forum. Light easterlies with light rain etc.... Lets hope thats what really happens...

Connor

Last edited:
I clearly picked the wrong day to go to Titchwell - long-billed dowitcher there today and a great white egret flew over...

Big White Day

What a day!
Started at Holkham looking for the Snow goose at 10.15 but saw nothing much (other than 100's of pink feet) - Got a message about the Long B Dowitcher at Titchwell and sped off to see that. As soon as i got to the hide a shout went out that a great white egret was flying over!! Ran out of the hide to the bank but only got it in the scope when it was heading over the houses at Thornham....Despite not seeing the bill or other bare parts due to distance/flying away, you could see it was huge!! It flew as slow as a grey heron with slow wing beats. It turns out that two birders saw the bird at Holkham just before 10am and apparently it landed next to some Little Egrets and was twice the size. When they were asked what the bill looked like they didn't know...oh well.. hope someone got a good enough view of it
Also at Titchwell - The Dowitcher showing well, 2 little stints and 2 curlew sands. Back at Holkham and the Snow Goose was showing very well along with the last big white one of the day - 2 adult Spoonbills from Washington Hide...I have to work all weekend but looks like there is plenty out there despite the westerly winds..Good Luck
(Bit gutted i didn't get to Holkham about 10 minutes before to see the Egret there!)

The Dowitcher was showing well from Island (the first) hide. It did fly around with the Dunlin flock a few times but seemed to return to the same area of mud between the hide and the reeds, not as close as the Pec last week but still a good view! It was actively feeding but should hopefully still be around for a bigger crowd tomorrow.

It was actively feeding but should hopefully still be around for a bigger crowd tomorrow.

Can someone tie it up until i get there please.:t:. I'm arriving tomorrow with the wife for a week.

So if you see a couple of oldish gits birding on bikes, (some of the time) give us a wave and collect a free BF tick as well.

Thank goodness for holiday, shame there arent more of them.... Have to wait until mid october for mine!

The conditions for saturday dont look too bad, see where will the rares be this weekend in... in the rarebird forum. Light easterlies with light rain etc.... Lets hope thats what really happens...

Connor

No time off (except weekends) for me now until November! Perish the thought.......

Weatherwise it looks like we're gonna be stuck in a predominantly westerly airflow over the weekend; maybe with a more north-westerly element after Tuesday. May be worth turning to the sea then although all the Great Shears are probably well past now :C

Common Buzzard again tonight along the A1151 near Beeston Church, north of Hoveton; not 1 but 2 birds. They drifted low across the road before settling up in trees at 6:35pm. And returning down the lane with the dog at dusk I watched what was presumably a mother Chinese Water Deer with 2 young on a stubble field. The smaller pair were having a ball running and kicking around, just like a couple of children. Most amusing...

James

GW egret @ Titchwell

If there is anyone out there who had good views of the egret over the reserve today could they let me have a description or some notes on the bird so I can submit it to the county recorder they would be gratefully recieved. All county rarities, which this bird is, would need some further info before I will submit the record for Titchwell.

Any info can be dropped off to me via the Titchwell visitor centre

Thanks

Paul, reserve warden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back