• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FIELD WORK....APUNTES del NATURAL (1 Viewer)

mayoayo

Hello..It has been a while since I posted anything here,,,.I closed my last thread,that was all about studio works,and decided not to post anything but field work ,If I ever was to share anything else in this forum.
I have now been working more consistently in the field,and all my outings are now aimed to do so,..to develop the right techniques,not only artistic techniques,but also logistic!
I seem to be looking at things now in a way that is starting to work for me..some sense of scale ,timing and composition is developing and I have been enjoying quite a lot working from nature
A few samples of the last two outings, hopefully I can keep some of them coming...

Attachments

• IMG_4420.JPG
    IMG_4420.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4410.JPG
    IMG_4410.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4407.JPG
    IMG_4407.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Superb work, Manuel - the cormorant is beautifully drawn; the perspective on the body feathers is spot-on. And the duck grouping - exemplifies all you are now aspiring to do with your fieldwork. Brilliant!

More of Those...

Thanks for the comments..Nice to share some more images after a while...
My last outing was a very cold day ,and I was barely capable to draw inside the hide...Not until the last few hour,with the help of the afternoon Sun,that I was able to concentrate a bit and sketched the Cormoran large head...Didnt have much time ,but was nice end of the day..All of the other sketches are fast and small pieces from a previous day,in the same hide...Ducks and Corms as well...

Since Then I have felt to lazy to be in the Cold (Is warming up a little),but today the urge to Draw made me try some Videosketching...YouTube Owls..

Attachments

• IMG_4425.JPG
    IMG_4425.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4427.JPG
    IMG_4427.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4429.JPG
    IMG_4429.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4430.JPG
    IMG_4430.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4432.JPG
    IMG_4432.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 98
YouTube Owls

..Oh Ill post the Owls too...First one is a composite creation fruit of numerous bad videos..the second head is a partially ruined nice sketch done while repeteadly playing a japanese video ...I think both suppose to be eagle owls..

Attachments

• IMG_4423.JPG
    IMG_4423.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4421.JPG
    IMG_4421.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 89
I'm always drawn to work from life, and these are fine examples of superb fieldwork. Very adventurous poses and compositions - a bit like myself really, ah, ah, ah. But these work!

I want to see more

Regards

Russ

these are fine examples of superb fieldwork.
Regards

Russ

Thanks Russ...They are fine examples all right,....But not too sure of what!

Few more notes from my last outing...pencil study overlooking a group of herons in a river bank..the note had better moments,but this is how it ended..then a note on landscape..some Coots and a Flamingo can be seen depicted as DOTS..
and finally two fast ink sketches ..Flamingo and Greenshank&Shoveler...

The Hides in the LLobregat River are very active with wild birds, and Flamingoes can be seen very close..closer than most places really...In the hide I visited, only one was present and kind of far away...But the other hides in the South part of the reserve are SO filled with birds..Ibis,Spoonbill,Flamingoes and 25 Limosa Limosa are there as I write,... I will go there on Tuesday!..unfortunately the large numbers of birds attract large numbers of paparazzi!!...clicliclickclikckcliclickclikcclikckli!

Attachments

• IMG_4543.JPG
    IMG_4543.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4541.JPG
    IMG_4541.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4540.JPG
    IMG_4540.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4539.JPG
    IMG_4539.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 82
Thanks Russ...They are fine examples all right,....But not too sure of what!

Few more notes from my last outing...pencil study overlooking a group of herons in a river bank..the note had better moments,but this is how it ended..then a note on landscape..some Coots and a Flamingo can be seen depicted as DOTS..
and finally two fast ink sketches ..Flamingo and Greenshank&Shoveler...

The Hides in the LLobregat River are very active with wild birds, and Flamingoes can be seen very close..closer than most places really...In the hide I visited, only one was present and kind of far away...But the other hides in the South part of the reserve are SO filled with birds..Ibis,Spoonbill,Flamingoes and 25 Limosa Limosa are there as I write,... I will go there on Tuesday!..unfortunately the large numbers of birds attract large numbers of paparazzi!!...clicliclickclikckcliclickclikcclikckli!

More nice work, Manuel. I love the sweeping, descriptive lines of the flamingo
- a very distinct and personal way of working; lovely.
Yes, I know what you mean about the cameras. But where I bird you get this scene on a quiet day!

Regards

Russ

More nice work, Manuel. I love the sweeping, descriptive lines of the flamingo
- a very distinct and personal way of working; lovely.
Yes, I know what you mean about the cameras. But where I bird you get this scene on a quiet day!

Regards

Russ

You're in your element here and look very much in control of what you're doing. It should be a pleasure to see your work as you continue with field sketches. It's obvious that you're having a good time as you do it. And that makes them a pleasure to see.

Thanks Ken...Russ ....The way to avoid the rush hour in the Hide is to go at lunch time..most of the photographers are dedicated enough to hit the hides at mid morning and leave in time for a good lunch!..I have been visiting the main nature area in the Barcelona Metro area, and due to budget cuts the visit hours have been reduced ..In Spring/Summer they used to open at 9 and close at 6 pm ,,7 pm on weekeds....current visit times are 10 AM to 4.30 Pm .Year round!..gates are open til five,but at 4.30 the hides are given the "last few minutes" call...So the best ,more active hours ,of early morning and sunset ,is not possible to be in the reserve...the photographers go to have lunch at 1.30 and by the time they have finished is too late to come back, and the hides remain empty for the rest of the afternoon..In any case is a real shame that the current economic situation allows for this kind of cuts in a singular space that offers the only venue to be inside a protected area for the whole region really...I am sure many interests would like to take more hours away and eventually even close the whole thing ,
...Here is a little sketch that shows the edge of the nature reserve ..The massive BCN airport lies in the center of the Llobregat Delta and has expanded more and more pushing the protected areas away ..There is just a tiny bit left and is amazing how much life they can still attract..hope we can keep them forever ,and even claim a bit more somehow...!..yeah..."Horses near the Airport" a humble note with some meaning to me...and for those that like birds , a fast note depicting one of my favorite species, "Golden plovers and Lapwigs"..both From Yesterday´s outing

Attachments

• IMG_4564.jpg
    IMG_4564.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4562.jpg
    IMG_4562.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 80
Very impressed in particular by the shoveler, I love your mix of line and colour, both being used with great economy and efficiency - something I have to try and learn to do again! Keep it up.

Terrific little pen and ink sketch of the waders, here. I can't focus on anything other than a single bird any time I go out! Lovely stuff indeed.

Russ

Just found this new thread of yours, after being away from the forum much too long! Great work here - inspiration for getting out and doing more sketching from life, especially now that spring is starting to suggest it might arrive! I'll be back here and looking for more of your work.

Great work - and thanks for pointing me in the direction of youtube sketching! If I had to pick a favourite here, I would probably be the two Shovelers in your second post.

Tube

I went out for a short stroll Yesterday ,..found some interesting birds,including an escapee Senegal Parrot,living with a bunch of Monk Parekeets,in one of their communal nests..or maybe he was just visiting for the holidays!..Not the best weather for sketching with the wind blowing from the sea ,all misty and on-and-off showers most of the afternoon..last part of the walk I watched a wonderful Redstart ,from very close distance,through my scope..wonderful views and great detail,perfect for a fast sketch,as I felt the inspiration creeping in!..but my sketch pad was in my backpack!..and I knew if I´d try to get it I would scare the bird for sure,..Oh well..I enjoyed the view and I think I managed to bring Home some of the inspiration left overs..Today I was really wanting to go out drawing,as the view of the bird really stayed in my mind..But it was raining ..a lot..
So went to the You Tube fabulous zoo and look for footage of the Redstart and I sketch away the drawing bug in a series of small notes,...all about the same lenght as the real viewing..2 and 3 minutes notes..ooh maybe I put five in some..
I enjoyed the sketching and wanted to share it...
HAppy Easter by the Way!

Attachments

• IMG_4637.jpg
    IMG_4637.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4639.jpg
    IMG_4639.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Great stuff!
Happy Easter as well and hope the rain leaves soon. Glad that you were able to keep the inspiration alive and make the best of it. I keep finding that I'm starting to keep mental images of birds in my head as well, until that is I go to put them on paper.............

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back