• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trittiford mill pond and the dingles bird sightings (1 Viewer)

Hi

Been on Easter hols so not been for a couple of weeks. Will almost certainly be cycling through tomorrow - unless it is really rainy - so will have a good look!

Thank you Julie :) Im going to get up early and go and have a mooch so fingers crossed if they are then one of us will see them :)

Early this morning I could just hear the two tone call of a Kingfisher on the River Cole down the back of Trittiford, as a loud Wren was calling & a juggernaut did a u turn on the roundabout. The calling persisted & it sounded like two. Then one Kingfisher flew under the bridge calling. I looked up and another was flying high over the trees doing a banked turn. Then the other one flew back up the River calling. Then one flew over the pond calling. I've see a few territorial disputes there now in the past few years. Great!

A Tawny Owl gave great views today at Trittiford Park. Just listen out for the sound of mobbing and you might find the owl on the river side of the pool.

Attachments

• tawny owl 1.jpg
    tawny owl 1.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 44
Beautiful photo :)
I havent been able to get there this week :(
Never even seen a Tawny owl at Trittiford would be a patch tick for me.

Just drove past mill pond and looking over saw 3 small egrets and heron in tree that seems to be their favourite roost.

Must try to walk the patch soon can I ask UW82 what time of day the tawny owl was spotted ?

Good Birding

Zeberdy

Just drove past mill pond and looking over saw 3 small egrets and heron in tree that seems to be their favourite roost.

Must try to walk the patch soon can I ask UW82 what time of day the tawny owl was spotted ?

Good Birding

Zeberdy

About 14.00. I've been back, but no sign.

Des.

I've been checking it out for the past few weeks as I knew there had to be resident Kingfisher somewhere along the River Cole. Finally found them this morning at one of the usual sites. Great!

The chicks are so cute :)
A few people have heard a Cuckoo over the Priory Fields which is the same place as last year :)
Still a few little egrets about on Old Mill pond too.

The Great Crested Grebe chicks are still on Trittiford.
I had no luck with a Kingfisher at the Dingles, so thought I best check out Scribbers Lane. I was curious as someone tweeted a KF photo a few weeks back.
Anyway looked over the bridge and what flew out, a Kingfisher. Great.
I walked off and said to myself 'I bet it flies back' so I went back and took another look and just as I did it came flying back to the bridge, it flew up and over and round in an arc. Great!

Little Egrets appear to be summering in the south of Birmingham. The attached was in the Chinn Brook area near Trittiford Pool, whilst another was along the River Cole north of Trittiford.

The Chinn Brook looks a good feeding area: there were hundreds of small fish.

Des.

Attachments

• Little egret-Chinn Brook.jpg
    Little egret-Chinn Brook.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 68
I'd not checked out Trittiford for a Kingfisher for a few weeks so thought I would take a look early this morning. I was in luck when the Kingfisher flew from the Mill pond and headed towards Scribbers Lane. As I then ran around the pond footpath the Kingfisher went past again flying across the Mill pond calling. I can't remember seeing one fly across the mill pond before. I then ran round the country park next to the River Cole and there was another Kingfisher on the Chinn Brook. Great!

Last edited:
I did not find any Kingfisher in March/April along the Wonders Walk/River Cole where they nested last year. Recently though there has been some activity. Today was my best sighting of the year at Trittiford. As I walked past the roundabout I heard the call of a Kingfisher going past on the river. Then as I walked over the bridge a Kingfisher flew under. They were then tutting at each other on the river and went past a couple times. Good to see a pair again.
A lady walking her dog stopped to have a look and I told her there were a pair of Kingfisher.
Her daughter had seen a Kingfisher recently as well as a Little Egret.
The lady had not seen a Kingfisher for 30 years! And then it flew past us.
So she had to rush home to tell her daughter. Nice one!
On Trittiford mill pond there were two Little Egrets and two terrapins in the sun.
Great!

Last edited:
Had two patch ticks today in the form of a spotted flycatcher in The Dingles (couldn't relocate it on return walk but it was about 100 metres downstream of Trittiford keeping the river on your left) and a handsome adult yellow-legged gull at Trittiford standing on a rock with around 80 BH Gulls and a couple of LBBs. Other sightings included a buzzard, great crested grebe, little egret, grey heron (3), greylag goose (3), a couple of swifts were still around but didn't see any hirundines, some large mixed tit flocks, mostly LT and blue, nuthatch (3 poss 4), jay and a kingfisher (just upstream of the Stratford Road Bridge) Great! (as zomerset might say)

Wow excellent patch ticks well done :)
I havent been to trittiford for ages seem to of lost my motivation :( need to get my mojo back lol

Thanks Donna, my last addition to that list was raven almost two years ago so to get two ticks in one day was amazing. I see there was a spotted fly at Middleton also so I guess there was a bit of a movement. My Shire list now stands at 91 and Cole Valley at 95, hope I don't have to wait another two years to add some more, need to get to that 100 mark. Try and get down there, with Autumn passage now well underway who knows what might turn up? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back