• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help please, Merseyside today. (2 Viewers)

pinky & rosie

I apologise for my lack of knowledge!!!
Hi

I apologise for the rubbish photo but there is a quite large bird that flies over the back of my garden regularly. I can't make out if it is a raptor, crow or anything! I'm not very good id-ing when they are a distance and/or in flight really. It really is a rubbish photo but somebody out there may be able to give me some idea.

Many thanx

i know its a really hard one but it is drivin me insane.

I have cropped the photo a bit have no idea of that will help.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 207
I have no idea really that is all i ever see. Was just interested as behind my garden is a large swamp area. Thought i might get somethin interestin.
Never mind just write this one off

I have no idea really that is all i ever see. Was just interested as behind my garden is a large swamp area. Thought i might get somethin interestin.
Never mind just write this one off

I thought I might have to play 'spot the bird' in the picture of your lovely garden. However I have just returned from Merseyside and there were quite a few Grey Herons out in the Mersey as well as a few Little Egrets on the other side of The Wirral.
Best Wishes
Sue

Looks like a police helicopter to me.

A regular visitor over many a Merseyside garden.

Last edited:
thanx for all your help!

I posted this to see if anybody could identify the dot for me not for people to make stereotypical comments based on a few individuals. I am sure the areas you live in are completely crime free!!!!!

Also i was in the garden this afternoon and a buzzard flew overhead. I have been informed that he is a regular visitor so it is possible that is what i have been seeing.

Thanx again!

thanx for all your help!

I posted this to see if anybody could identify the dot for me not for people to make stereotypical comments based on a few individuals. I am sure the areas you live in are completely crime free!!!!!

well said, I believe Merseyside actually has a lower crime rate than any other metropolitan area!!

Rob

Last edited:
Hi Rosie

OK pic's not brill as you said but to me (if bird is moving from left to right) those aren't legs protruding (too bulky), so I'd say not Heron/Egret sp - Tail also looks rather long for Buzzard - have you considered it may be one of your local Red Kites?

Try this for gizz next time it flies over (click on image) (copied from http://www.gallowaykitetrail.com/kitemedia/photos/kitefly1.gif)

Attachments

• kitefly1.gif
    kitefly1.gif
    39.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hadn't considered the kites. I only really see them on the school run as they seem to be always in the same area, its only about 3/4 mile away tho so could well be!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back