• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (2 Viewers)

Notice for Viewing the Red kites

I'm surprised that it wasn't noticed and replaced - yesterday was another Kitewatch. I'll mention it to someone. Kitewatch is run officially by Gateshead Council, with the support of Friends of Red Kites.
There is a page on our FoRK site http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page10.htm

Some idiot (I assume) has removed the sign which was on the viaduct to let people know that it was a good place to view Red Kites.

Newsflash Police press release on two red kites found dead.

A press release today highlights the plight of our red kites in some areas. Northumbria Police have today confirmed that the two kites found near Steel, Hexham, were poisoned. For further details go to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/10490567.stm

and [URL="http://www.hawick-news.co.uk/latest-north-east-news/Police-probe-into-red-kite.6398252.jp"]http://www.hawick-news.co.uk/latest-north-east-news/Police-probe-into-red-kite.6398252.jp

[/URL]

A press release today highlights the plight of our red kites in some areas. Northumbria Police have today confirmed that the two kites found near Steel, Hexham, were poisoned. For further details go to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/10490567.stm

and [URL="http://www.hawick-news.co.uk/latest-north-east-news/Police-probe-into-red-kite.6398252.jp"]http://www.hawick-news.co.uk/latest-north-east-news/Police-probe-into-red-kite.6398252.jp

[/URL]

And I was informed at school that the Amoeba was the lowest form of life, how wrong that was. It's way past the time when they should start locking these people up.

Any land owner who kills a protected animal or allows a protected animal to be killed on his or her land should have it confiscated. A poacher can have his equipment confiscated or a cigarette smuggler can have his house confiscated if he stores contraband at home so why not do the same to these people?

It’s a pity that a few people can spoil so much enjoyment for so many people and keep getting away with it.

And I was informed at school that the Amoeba was the lowest form of life, how wrong that was. It's way past the time when they should start locking these people up.

Any land owner who kills a protected animal or allows a protected animal to be killed on his or her land should have it confiscated. A poacher can have his equipment confiscated or a cigarette smuggler can have his house confiscated if he stores contraband at home so why not do the same to these people?

It’s a pity that a few people can spoil so much enjoyment for so many people and keep getting away with it.

+1

Its about time a zero tolerance policy was implemented to deal with these scumbags:C

Kite deaths

Sadly, we are not the only area suffering from persecution. Yorkshire has had several suspicious deaths, and of course, despite huge efforts by volunteers within Groups, Scotland still persecutes the kites in some areas.:C

Problems have arisen after the reintroduction in Northern Ireland.

"A bird of prey extinct in Northern Ireland for at least two centuries is making a spectacular recovery as the first phase of a red kite reintroduction project began in southern County Down earlier today.

Northern Ireland Red Kites is the first species reintroduction in Northern Ireland and part of an All-Ireland project to bring back these exciting birds of prey to Northern Ireland. Project partners are the Welsh Kite Trust, the Golden Eagle Trust and the RSPB.

The project, which will release 27 kites this year, hopes to see these birds of global conservation concern become permanent residents in the rolling countryside of south Co Down."

(Quote RSPB)

June Atkinson
Press & Publicity
Friends of Red Kites
in the North East of England

www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

+1

Its about time a zero tolerance policy was implemented to deal with these scumbags:C

Last edited:
Happier news

Mick R and I were privileged to be part of the FoRK Team which went in search of what might be the last of this season's nests to be located.
The nest was high in a very slim tree and the climber had great difficulty in reaching it. Unlike the often platform-type nest, this one was tightly built into the deep fork of the tree.
Reaching it, two eggs were found and one very lively but young chick. Keith Bowey ringed it but advised against tagging it, as it was not developed enough.

More pics on our website www.friendsofredkites.org.uk

Attachments

• Causey-nest61.jpg
    Causey-nest61.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 107
  • P7100187_xedited-1-copy.jpg
    P7100187_xedited-1-copy.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Mixing the genes!

This is great detective work, Mick! You have enabled Ken to identify this parent kite at Causey Gill as one from the Central Scotland area.

The red tag T2 on the left wing denotes Central Scotland, and the blue tag on the right wing denotes a 2001 bird.
But to have this pair - our Wing Tag 83 "Red Saint" and the Scottish bird succeeding in raising a chick is excellent news! The two eggs which failed to hatch will be sent for analysis as to why they failed.

Our thanks to Mick for all his time and effort in helping to establish the facts of the nest in Causey Gill.:t:

I have finally identified the second parent and it isn't a Northern Kite.

This is great detective work, Mick! You have enabled Ken to identify this parent kite at Causey Gill as one from the Central Scotland area.

The red tag T2 on the left wing denotes Central Scotland, and the blue tag on the right wing denotes a 2001 bird.
But to have this pair - our Wing Tag 83 "Red Saint" and the Scottish bird succeeding in raising a chick is excellent news! The two eggs which failed to hatch will be sent for analysis as to why they failed.

Our thanks to Mick for all his time and effort in helping to establish the facts of the nest in Causey Gill.:t:

Here's a further puzzle, these were taken within a couple of minutes of the other photograph and at the same place. T2 was taken at 17:51 and the others were taken at 17:53. T2 landed in the tree which contained the nest while the other Red Kite was circling the tree and kept flying away for a few minutes then kept coming back. The last time I was able to watch the second Red Kite was when it was above the Bird of Prey centre at Beamish which is probably no more than 500 yards in a direct line from where I was parked originally and taking the photographs.

Do we know if T2 is a male or female?

Attachments

• WT84 or B4.jpg
    WT84 or B4.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 91
  • WTB4 or 84.jpg
    WTB4 or 84.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 100
T2 at Causey Gill

WT 83 is Red Saint, a male, so this would imply that T2 is the female.
I think we need verification from our Monitoring Team as to which two pairs are nesting and producing young in Causey Gill.

I was under the impression that T2 and WT83 were a pair, but your second image shows wing Tag 84, which is a female kite from 2006.

It will all become clear, in time. Again, Mick, although I know you will ahve enjoyed getting these shots, we are grateful for your willingness to devote time to helping solve the puzzle of Causey Gill!!:t:

Here's a further puzzle, these were taken within a couple of minutes of the other photograph and at the same place. T2 was taken at 17:51 and the others were taken at 17:53. T2 landed in the tree which contained the nest while the other Red Kite was circling the tree and kept flying away for a few minutes then kept coming back. The last time I was able to watch the second Red Kite was when it was above the Bird of Prey centre at Beamish which is probably no more than 500 yards in a direct line from where I was parked originally and taking the photographs.

Do we know if T2 is a male or female?

T2 identity

It's now been confirmed by Ken that T2 is, in fact a 2007 Scottish kite, not 2001 as at first thought.

It's still not absolutely clear which pair are the chick's parents, but most probably WT83 and T2.
Where WT84 fits in, I'm not sure.

WT 83 is Red Saint, a male, so this would imply that T2 is the female.
I think we need verification from our Monitoring Team as to which two pairs are nesting and producing young in Causey Gill.

I was under the impression that T2 and WT83 were a pair, but your second image shows wing Tag 84, which is a female kite from 2006.

It will all become clear, in time. Again, Mick, although I know you will ahve enjoyed getting these shots, we are grateful for your willingness to devote time to helping solve the puzzle of Causey Gill!!:t:

Look out for an article in tomorrow's Journal and also in the Chronicle - more bad news, I'm afraid!!

I'm not looking forward to reading that. On a brighter note I was at the nest site where the last Kite was ringed this year and managed to take the attached photograph of an un-tagged Kite.

Attachments

• Untagged Red Kite.jpg
    Untagged Red Kite.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 104
http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...s-found-dead-near-stocksfield-61634-26920795/

Nesting pair of red kites found dead near Stocksfield

Jul 24 2010 by Paul Tully, The Journal

A PAIR of red kites who became well-known to tourists and animal lovers have been found dead.

Numerous visitors travelled to the kites’ nesting site near Whittonstall, Northumberland, last year, where they were clearly visible at long-range for several months.

But now their bodies have been discovered in the same vicinity of woodland at Hindley, near Stocksfield, Northumberland.

The bird carcasses have now been sent to the London Institute of Zoology for forensic analysis to determine how they died.

The find comes just a few weeks after another pair of red kites were found dead at Steel, near Hexham. It is believed they died after eating carrion illegally laced with poison.

Ken Sanderson, chairman of Friends of Red Kites, said the latest pair were discovered at different times but in the same wooded area. “The birds were wing-tagged, so we have been able to identify them,” he said.

“One is Ziggy, who nested with another kite, Jammy Dodger, near the Highland Cattle Centre close to Whittonstall last year.

“The other is Ponteland Sunrise, who had nested there this year after the first kite, Jammy Dodger, left.

“At least one chick will, inevitably, also have perished. We were not sure how many chicks were in the nest but we believe one had hatched and possibly more.

“The tree-climbers have not gone up to see yet. I have asked for the forensic investigation to be fast-tracked and we are now awaiting the results.”

The dead kites, among dozens of others, had been adopted and named by local schools as part of a development programme run by the Friends of Red Kites. After Ziggy and Jammy Dodger nested at Whittonstall in spring last year, numerous visitors used the vantage point provided by the Highland Cattle Centre on the opposite side of a small valley to view the isolated nest high in trees.

James Leonard, RSPB Investigations Officer, said: “It is another unfortunate and tragic incident. If anyone knows anything at all about how these birds died, please contact us.

“The kites are an essential part of the heritage of Northumberland and it is essential that we understand why they have died.

“It would be unusual for a pair of healthy birds with a newly-hatched chick to have died naturally but we will know more when we receive the results of the forensic tests.”

Northumbria Police wildlife co-ordinator Don Churchill said: “We ask anyone who can help with information to contact us on 0345 604 3043.”

A significant loss

You may remember that last year the Highland Cattle Centre enjoyed great publicity and its visitor numbers soared after the arrival of the first pair of kites, Ziggy WT40, adopted by Emmanuel College, Gateshead and Jammy Dodger, WT74, adopted by St. Joseph's School Gateshead. They were successful in rearing a chick.

The death of this new pair, Ziggy, and WTA5 Ponteland Sunrise, adopted by Ponteland High School, deprives hundreds of people of the same opportunity this summer. It is all very sad. Ziggy was a star, always around at Roost Watches and at Kitewatch. She stayed in the area after being released in 2005 and gave pleasure to us all.

With the death of the previous two birds, found earlier this year at Steel near Hexham, it is a matter of grave concern. We await the outcome of the postmortems which will be carried out by London Zoo.

Attached is a photo of some children being shown where to look for the nest last year, by the previous owner of the Highland Cattle Centre. Also attached are photos of Ziggy and Ponteland Sunrise.

Friends of Red Kites will co-operate with the Police and the RSPB in the hope that such deaths can be prevented in the future.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-...s-found-dead-near-stocksfield-61634-26920795/

Nesting pair of red kites found dead near Stocksfield

Jul 24 2010 by Paul Tully, The Journal

A PAIR of red kites who became well-known to tourists and animal lovers have been found dead.

Numerous visitors travelled to the kites’ nesting site near Whittonstall, Northumberland, last year, where they were clearly visible at long-range for several months.

But now their bodies have been discovered in the same vicinity of woodland at Hindley, near Stocksfield, Northumberland.

The bird carcasses have now been sent to the London Institute of Zoology for forensic analysis to determine how they died.

The find comes just a few weeks after another pair of red kites were found dead at Steel, near Hexham. It is believed they died after eating carrion illegally laced with poison.

Ken Sanderson, chairman of Friends of Red Kites, said the latest pair were discovered at different times but in the same wooded area. “The birds were wing-tagged, so we have been able to identify them,” he said.

“One is Ziggy, who nested with another kite, Jammy Dodger, near the Highland Cattle Centre close to Whittonstall last year.

“The other is Ponteland Sunrise, who had nested there this year after the first kite, Jammy Dodger, left.

“At least one chick will, inevitably, also have perished. We were not sure how many chicks were in the nest but we believe one had hatched and possibly more.

“The tree-climbers have not gone up to see yet. I have asked for the forensic investigation to be fast-tracked and we are now awaiting the results.”

The dead kites, among dozens of others, had been adopted and named by local schools as part of a development programme run by the Friends of Red Kites. After Ziggy and Jammy Dodger nested at Whittonstall in spring last year, numerous visitors used the vantage point provided by the Highland Cattle Centre on the opposite side of a small valley to view the isolated nest high in trees.

James Leonard, RSPB Investigations Officer, said: “It is another unfortunate and tragic incident. If anyone knows anything at all about how these birds died, please contact us.

“The kites are an essential part of the heritage of Northumberland and it is essential that we understand why they have died.

“It would be unusual for a pair of healthy birds with a newly-hatched chick to have died naturally but we will know more when we receive the results of the forensic tests.”

Northumbria Police wildlife co-ordinator Don Churchill said: “We ask anyone who can help with information to contact us on 0345 604 3043.”

Attachments

• WT40 Ziggy.JPG
    WT40 Ziggy.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Ponteland Sunrise_edited-3.jpg
    Ponteland Sunrise_edited-3.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 83
  • High-Cattle-Centre_nest09.jpg
    High-Cattle-Centre_nest09.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Ziggy - A personal obituary

I am particularly saddened by this latest piece of news, having been present at the release of Ziggy back in 2005, though she only flew a few yards into the trees above us, allowing me to take the attached photo.
Since then I've followed her fortunes as my own adopted kite, not too difficult as she was regularly spotted at either Barlow Fell or Sherburn Towers Farm where she would perch on the pylons allowing easy recognition, and I even ID'd her over my garden on a couple of occasions which were cracking moments.
Local sightings obviously stopped after she paired up last year, indeed up until then I don't think anyone even knew what sex she was, but even though I was chuffed when she successfully became a parent, I have to add that even then I wished she had chosen somewhere a bit 'safer' to nest.
I wasn't aware the pair were back in the same area this year so just reading the above postings telling of the discovery of the corpses is a bit of a shocker to say the least.

OK, cause of death unknown but I doubt anyone will be surprised at the verdict, and there was me complaining when the neighbours put ant powder down....

RIP Ziggy and Ponteland Sunrise

Attachments

• 40b.jpg
    40b.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back