• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID - Unknown water bird? Round Rock, TX, US (1 Viewer)

erisian.pope

very amateur
I suspected cormorant due to the size and the fact that when it swam its long neck* was very visible but its body appeared to be >80% underwater. I cannot find any bird at all on Cornell's allaboutbirds site that seems to match this bird, however (and I still haven't bought a Sibley's).

Can anyone ID this bird?

As always, your help is very much appreciated.

* The neck in the photo is maybe 75% of its maximum length that I was able to observe.

-----
EDIT: The only cormorants listed in my Texas list are Neotropic and Double-Crested and both are pretty black ... but this bill looks very cormorant-y to me.

Attachments

• IMG_9060.JPG
    IMG_9060.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I suspected cormorant due to the size and the fact that when it swam its long neck* was very visible but its body appeared to be >80% underwater. I cannot find any bird at all on Cornell's allaboutbirds site that seems to match this bird, however (and I still haven't bought a Sibley's).

Can anyone ID this bird?

As always, your help is very much appreciated.

* The neck in the photo is maybe 75% of its maximum length that I was able to observe.

-----
EDIT: The only cormorants listed in my Texas list are Neotropic and Double-Crested and both are pretty black ... but this bill looks very cormorant-y to me.

It is a juvenile Double-crested Cormorant.

http://www.roysephotos.com/zzDoubleCrCorm7D.jpg

Yes, immature DC Cormorant. One of the best ways to distinguish immatures of this species from Neotropical Cormorants of any age is their much paler breasts.

Cornell seems to let you down routinely. Definitely time to invest in a printed field guide! ;)

Last edited:
Time to buy a Sibley! ;)

I know it! At this point it's just laziness.

Thank you both for your help!

The bird was very skittish, do you think being a juv. leads to it being extra cautious or are Cormorants pretty cautious in general? It flew off due to my presence while the GBH between us just eyed me. And I'm pretty used to GBHs being pretty nervous around me.

I know it! The bird was very skittish, do you think being a juv. leads to it being extra cautious or are Cormorants pretty cautious in general?

I think skittishness mostly depends on how used to people the birds are. I see DC Cormorants regularly at city parks in Reno & in my experience the immatures aren't noticeably more skittish than adults.

Yeah, i should have thought to check juveniles of all the Cormorants after I decided it was probably a cormorant. Still, that juv. doesn't look exceedingly like mine so I probably would not have made the connection on my own.

My experience is that young birds (especially raptors) are often less wary of humans than adult birds -- who have wisely learned to be cautious.

I agree with that, I have gotten pretty close to some juvenile accips and buteos for photos without them taking of like their adult counter parts.

Yeah, i should have thought to check juveniles of all the Cormorants after I decided it was probably a cormorant. Still, that juv. doesn't look exceedingly like mine so I probably would not have made the connection on my own.

It's in a strange pose in the Cornell photo, I think that's why it doesn't look too similar. But that's another example of why looking at photos rather than field guide illustrations can be misleading.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back