• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (23 Viewers)

Where did you see Garden Warbler out of interest? Really want a few more warblers this year :)
Thanks

Singing birds around West Briggs Wood, and a pair between there and Shouldham Warren (PM me if you want exact grid references etc). I've had other birds nearby too, but never really visited this site before this year, so don't know how they're doing on average. Finally getting to grips with their song too!

I've not seen or heard Garden Warbler this year myself; it appears that although our other common summer Warblers are here in good numbers that Gardens may not yet have arrived for whatever reason? Hope I'm wrong...

James

Plenty of Garden Warblers around in West Norfolk today ;)
Sue

Thanks Rob for a polite and measured reply (unlike upstarts jumping in on the attack - another one hiding behind a nickname, but how appropriate).

Upstart - I did not "slander" the RSPB and was careful to add that I wasnt "having a go" - something you obviously missed in a rush to cause an issue (sometimes this site is treated as a playground for an arguement).

I am an RSPB member and have been so for 25 years, which in my book makes me able to query their tactics and ways they spend my money. That was my "point".

And as it is, my facts are right but I can now not obviously say anymore (and its nothing to do with Strumpshaw).

You might find that Wildlife Trusts have far more reserves than the RSPB if you want to be picky. I am a member of theirs too.

If the RSPB guys on here say there is not an issue to discuss on here than fine by me. As I have approached them privately already previous to posting (as you so helpfully recommended) I thought this site an opportunity to raise the question.

I have not revealed a rare breeding bird in public (for example), I have simply asked a question? therefore, your prickly response surprised me.

Fair play to Upstart who has PM'd me to cover the Otter etc. All sorted.

Titchwell May 16th

Today’s highlights

Grey headed wagtail – male on fresh marsh late afternoon
Turtle dove – 2 by Fen Hide
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Still no snipe ....

Another 3 1/2 hours in avocet hide did not bring the hoped for Great Snipe but this Grey-headed Wagtail was a nice distraction.

Attachments

• Grey-headed Wagtail 110516 IMG_6774.jpg
    Grey-headed Wagtail 110516 IMG_6774.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 193
Rush Hill, Hickling NWT

It seems that access to the hide overlooking Rush Hill scrape along the Weavers Way public footpath has been curtailed for the forseeable future due to flood alleviation works in the area. I was along here at the weekend and the path to the right as you climb the bank after crossing the small wooden bridge from the direction of Potter Heigham Church is now barricaded off. Public access is still permitted to the left (in the direction of Decoy Road) but this will apparently be closed in July...

James

Last edited:
Anyone got any more news on the Crossbills at Strumpshaw? Hoping to go on Thursday and would be a huge bonus if they were still around! Same applies to the Flamingo haha
Cheers

Grey Headed delight

We found this little beauty at titchwell this afternoon, pure as far as I could see and unexpected with a week of SW winds.

sorry for the terrible effort at phone-scoping but these were the tools I had to work with!

Attachments

• DSC00191.JPG
    DSC00191.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 161
Its not the only unexpected bird on the North Coastin this weather. An alpine swift was mixed up with a swift \ swallow\ house martin passage this morning. All heading west.

Titchwell May 17th

Today’s highlights

Red necked phalarope – male on fresh marsh this afternoon
Grey headed wagtail – male on fresh marsh
Little stint – 1 on fresh marsh
Osprey – 1 west @ 15:45
Purple sandpiper – 1 reported on beach
Red crested pochard – drake on grazing marsh pool
Med gull – 2 1st yrs west

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back