• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Goldfinch -- in California (2 Viewers)

Hockey.Lover

This afternoon, I looked out to my window goldfinch feeder and saw this bird in with the other Am. Goldfinches. I really couldn't get a good close-up since it would fly away when I got anywhere near.

It seems a lot larger than the other goldfinches.

Thanks.

Gail

Edited to say: It also looks kinda beat up.

Attachments

• unknown-10.jpg
    unknown-10.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 158
  • unknown-11.jpg
    unknown-11.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 162
  • unknown-12.jpg
    unknown-12.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 131
Hockey.Lover said:
This afternoon, I looked out to my window goldfinch feeder and saw this bird in with the other Am. Goldfinches. I really couldn't get a good close-up since it would fly away when I got anywhere near.

Thanks.

Gail

Hi Gail. Judging from the size of the bird, the double white wing bar, and the faint yellow-green on the face and head, I'd suggest you were likely visited by an adult female pine grosbeak. The bill shape, though, doesn't quite fit that diagnosis - but it is rather obsured by seed debris and the other mentioned features are fairly well presented.

Robert / Seattle said:
Hi Gail. Judging from the size of the bird, the double white wing bar, and the faint yellow-green on the face and head, I'd suggest you were likely visited by an adult female pine grosbeak. The bill shape, though, doesn't quite fit that diagnosis - but it is rather obsured by seed debris and the other mentioned features are fairly well presented.

Hi Robert,

FWIW, here is one more photo. Don't know if it helps. Thanks.

Attachments

• unknown-13.jpg
    unknown-13.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 144
Not a Pine Grosbeak - would be MUCH bigger (5" vs. 9") in comparison to the American Goldfinch next to it, have a much plumper look, have black (not pink) legs, and have a short, decurved bill (which, regardless of debris in way, this bird does not have). Also, a female Pine Grosbeak's yellow goes all down the mantle to the rump, not like this bird.

The bird is a molting American Goldfinch - but a very dirty one!!

AlexC said:
Not a Pine Grosbeak - would be MUCH bigger (5" vs. 9") in comparison to the American Goldfinch next to it, have a much plumper look, have black (not pink) legs, and have a short, decurved bill (which, regardless of debris in way, this bird does not have). Also, a female Pine Grosbeak's yellow goes all down the mantle to the rump, not like this bird.

The bird is a molting American Goldfinch - but a very dirty one!!

Hi Alex. Don't you find the size of this bird a bit "excessive" for a Goldfinch? It appears to have nearly twice the volume of the bird next to it.

Robert / Seattle said:
Hi Alex. Don't you find the size of this bird a bit "excessive" for a Goldfinch? It appears to have nearly twice the volume of the bird next to it.

Exactly. That is why I grabbed my camera and posted this. It looked similar in color, but it looked so huge in comparison.

Robert / Seattle said:
Goldfinch, then. But a Goldfinch on steroids. (Gail, what are you mixing in with those seeds?)

It's a secret blend for mutant goldfinches. :D

Thanks everyone for answering. Creepy bird, though.

Robert / Seattle said:
Goldfinch, then. But a Goldfinch on steroids. (Gail, what are you mixing in with those seeds?)

Tis either the Arnold Schwarzenagger (can never spell that) of American Goldfinches or perhaps coz the bird in the left of the pic is side-on?

Don't think a Pine Grosbeak would ever show such prominent white wing bars (sure I'll be corrected on that) and the certainly wouldn't have a black cap. Would as a female have a more dirty yellowish heand and nape, with grey on the shoulder, breast and underparts right?

I am bit confused by the bird on the left. Is that a female American Goldfinch? Seems awfully green and with a pinkish bill.

Sean
Hiroshima :bounce:

lostinjapan said:
Tis either the Arnold Schwarzenagger (can never spell that) of American Goldfinches or perhaps coz the bird in the left of the pic is side-on?

Don't think a Pine Grosbeak would ever show such prominent white wing bars (sure I'll be corrected on that) and the certainly wouldn't have a black cap. Would as a female have a more dirty yellowish heand and nape, with grey on the shoulder, breast and underparts right?

I am bit confused by the bird on the left. Is that a female American Goldfinch? Seems awfully green and with a pinkish bill.

Sean
Hiroshima :bounce:

Yes, it is. I am no expert, Sean, but according to my Sibley's book, they do have a pinkish bill during breeding and I think it is moulting, as well.

That bird was similarly colored to the Am. Goldfinch, but it just seemed bigger, fatter and has a dark bill (and I still think it is weird and creepy looking). :D

Hockey.Lover said:

Thanks.

Gail

It looks like an American to me - brown body, clean wing bars, yellow head - maybe with bird seed stuck to its head? Americans are significantly larger than the Lesser Goldfinches.

emupilot said:
It looks like an American to me - brown body, clean wing bars, yellow head - maybe with bird seed stuck to its head? Americans are significantly larger than the Lesser Goldfinches.

Do you think that other one on the left is a Lesser?

Hockey.Lover said:
Do you think that other one on the left is a Lesser?
The other bird is a Lesser Goldfinch. Americans are larger than Lessers but slightly smaller than European Goldfinch (just so our European friends can get a bit of an idea). My first impression was that the bird on the left was a Lesser Goldfinch. As Alex Said Pine Grossbeaks are huge for finches, about the size of a Robin.

Gentoo said:
The other bird is a Lesser Goldfinch. Americans are larger than Lessers but slightly smaller than European Goldfinch (just so our European friends can get a bit of an idea). My first impression was that the bird on the left was a Lesser Goldfinch. As Alex Said Pine Grossbeaks are huge for finches, about the size of a Robin.

But... I thought... :brains: ...that Lesser's don't have pink bills.

The disheveled bird just seems like a fatty to me. Saw a sickly Mourning Dove last July in SE Arizona at Mary Joe's (Hummingbird Hotspot) - it was just sitting on one of the feeders, and honestly, it was like the Frankenstein of Mourning Doves).

I'm trying to find some comparison photos for Pine Grosbeak vs. goldfinches...

EDIT: Okay, before you look at these photos, everyone should be reminded that REDPOLLS > GOLDFINCHES. Close your eyes...

OKAY NOW LOOK! ;) ;)
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13306/sort/1/cat/all/page/2
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/40291/sort/1/cat/all/page/4

Last edited:
I think we can safely say that Alex is right. Pine Grosbeaks are much larger than goldfinches. Also the bill on that bird is totally wrong for a grosbeaks.

Grosbeaks == honking big bill, the bill is also curved more than the bird photographed.

Good Birding,
Ryan

AlexC said:

The disheveled bird just seems like a fatty to me. Saw a sickly Mourning Dove last July in SE Arizona at Mary Joe's (Hummingbird Hotspot) - it was just sitting on one of the feeders, and honestly, it was like the Frankenstein of Mourning Doves).

I was previously told that these were Am. Goldfinches (from ID here). It makes sense that birds don't always come out of a cookie cutter and that there are some bubba-sized.

This ID thing isn't always as easy as it seems... :h?:

AlexC said:

I'm trying to find some comparison photos for Pine Grosbeak vs. goldfinches...

EDIT: Okay, before you look at these photos, everyone should be reminded that REDPOLLS > GOLDFINCHES. Close your eyes...

OKAY NOW LOOK! ;) ;)
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/13306/sort/1/cat/all/page/2
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/40291/sort/1/cat/all/page/4

Bill color on many Carduelis finches changes during the breeding season often to lighter shades. I can tell you from personal experience that Greenfinches Carduelis chloris develope lighter colored bills in spring. I think the same may be true for Lesser Goldfinches. Also the amount of green coloration as mentioned before on that smaller bird is a good mark for Lesser.

Gentoo said:
Bill color on many Carduelis finches changes during the breeding season often to lighter shades. I can tell you from personal experience that Greenfinches Carduelis chloris develope lighter colored bills in spring. I think the same may be true for Lesser Goldfinches. Also the amount of green coloration as mentioned before on that smaller bird is a good mark for Lesser.

Well, IF the smaller bird on the left is a Lesser that would be a simple and elegant answer regarding the size discrepency between the two birds. It's interesting to note that even common backyard species can pose such counter-intuitive ID challenges on occasion.

Robert / Seattle said:
Well, IF the smaller bird on the left is a Lesser that would be a simple and elegant answer regarding the size discrepency between the two birds. It's interesting to note that even common backyard species can pose such counter-intuitive ID challenges on occasion.
So what would you guess it is? Is it a distinctly smaller then normal American Goldfinch that happens to have more green on it than what we should see in an area where Lesser Goldfinches are quite common? The only other Goldfinch, indeed small Carduelis species possible in central California is the Lawrence's Goldfinch which this bird clearly isn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back