• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

Probable female Pied Flycatcher at Sculthorpe Moor Reserve. Not bad going considering the place was closed! Now off to try Salthouse. Send me a Pectoral Sand please.

Jason

Hopefully it will hang around for another 7 days - in Norfolk next week so fingers crossed.

Are there any other 'Long Stayers' that are worth aiming for?

ta.

Michael

Hobby over the garden again this morning...

The current depression tracking NE off Scotland is still deepening; nasty little fellow. Just reaffirming that Wednesday looks to be the day to stare out to sea if you can get there :t: Edit:This looks (at the moment) to be followed at the end of the week by a spell of easterlies squeezing between a Scandinavian high and a mainland European low. I'm going for a White-throated or Rufous Bush Robin... :eek!:

James

Last edited:
No sign of the dowitcher this evening but it has been going missing behind the islands and does fly onto the saltmarsh at times. 10 curlew sands, 5 little stints and 22 spotshanks on the fresh marsh and 6 marsh harriers roosted.
As a word of warning there may be some work happening on the fresh marsh this Friday (28th) which will cause some disturbance and maybe flush the dowitcher. It is weather dependant so if it is dry we will be cutting the islands from mid-morning. Not confirmed to go ahead yet but if you want to see the bird try and get here in the next few days.

Will keep you posted on this one

Paul

Couple of Arctic Skuas last night and shedloads of Gannets. Not a deal else apart from a snipe coming in-off and 19 Common Scoters.

Three Cranes this morning in a roadside field, in wonderful early morning sunlight, gave stunning views on the way to work.

Pinks are building up and getting noisier...

:clap: ;) Well done Ilya - please predict some birds for my holiday next week and which days/times please!!!!!!! Sophie - AW at Holme also said Wednesday could be good for seawatching.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Can't predict much past the weekend, as weather forcasts don't stretch that far, but I'll have a bash fro the rest of this week, even though I'm away:-(

Starting to look very very interesting from this afternoon onwards onwards (ahhrrrr). Tomorrow early morning should be really good for seawatching, with overnight rain and strong NW rain. Couldn't recommend seawatching from Cley too highly. Bound to be a few long-tailed skuas still. The winds then switch from NW to NE, with high pressure over eastern Scandinavia / Russia, which should (fingers crossed) bring in a really decent fall of eastern stuff. Yellow-browed at Holkham should be bread and butter birding as should Wrynecks and Barred warblers. Dusky or Radde's likely (Wells Woods??) or an RB Fly at East Hills maybe, but the obvious prize is Lancy, PG tips or Sprosser on Blakeney Point. Might be worth scanning the pipits too!

Good morning at Titchwell. The dowitcher is still present on the fresh marsh along with 5 little stints, 13 curlew sands, 20 spotshanks and 60 ruff. Little auk on the sea although looked ill, 2 lapland bunting hanging around the brackish marsh and a snow bunt over east.
Anybody know anything about the corys shears off here yesterday?
Just to remind everyone that there will be management work on the fresh marsh on Friday.

Paul

a buff-breasted sand at Happisburgh today (according to birdguides) in field north east of lighthouse... no way I can get there for two days - damn.

Also on news services today: Redstart at Holme NOA + Manx Shearwater and Slav Grebe on sea, Black Tern still Pentney GP's.

Cheers

Really begining to look forward to tomorrow morning now. Any tips on what to swat up on for a bit of seawatching? Are storm petrels likely? Shearwaters? Waders? Passerines?

Jason

Really begining to look forward to tomorrow morning now. Any tips on what to swat up on for a bit of seawatching? Are storm petrels likely? Shearwaters? Waders? Passerines?

Jason

Hopefully will be skuas, shearwaters, chance of Sabines Gull (but beware Kittiwake!), Leach's more likely than Stormy... Look out for Puffin amongst the auks and although perhaps a little bit early, Little Auk; one reported on north coast today? Have a good watch.

Wouldn't expect too many wildfowl or waders nor passerines personally. SE Owl seen to come 'in off' near here recently though and NWlies can be good for Snow and Lap Bunt. If seabirds don't show, or numbers start to tail off (or you get bored!), it's got to be worth looking for American waders given that there's both sp. Yellowlegs, Buff-breast, Pec etc along the east coast today. There'll doubtless be some more...

James

Last edited:
Thanks James.

Wont be bored anytime tomorrow, even if its just a few skuas. Shearwaters and petrels would make my week, as I've never had much luck with either (seen one Manx and one Sooty before. You have no idea how excited I was, lol!).

I've been swatting up on skuas, using Janes excellent guide in the id section. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up on some jizzy features, although I'm sure its all going to be very frustrating! Maybe I'll find myself a partner to tag along with if things get hectic!

Also been checking out the unusual shearwaters and Petrels. Dont think I've got any chance with the petrels, but shears might be ok. Hopefully wont see any rarities, cos I'll miss them!!!

Jason

Hopefully will be skuas, shearwaters, chance of Sabines Gull (but beware Kittiwake!), Leach's more likely than Stormy... Look out for Puffin amongst the auks and although perhaps a little bit early, Little Auk; one reported on north coast today? Have a good watch.

Wouldn't expect too many wildfowl or waders nor passerines personally. SE Owl seen to come 'in off' near here recently though and NWlies can be good for Snow and Lap Bunt. If seabirds don't show, or numbers start to tail off (or you get bored!), it's got to be worth looking for American waders given that there's both sp. Yellowlegs, Buff-breast, Pec etc along the east coast today. There'll doubtless be some more...

James

Last edited:
Thanks James.

Wont be bored anytime tomorrow, even if its just a few skuas. Shearwaters and petrels would make my week, as I've never had much luck with either (seen one Manx and one Sooty before. You have no idea how excited I was, lol!).

I've been swatting up on skuas, using Janes excellent guide in the id section. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up on some jizzy features, although I'm sure its all going to be very frustrating! Maybe I'll find myself a partner to tag along with if things get hectic!

Also been checking out the unusual shearwaters and Petrels. Dont think Ive got any chance with the petrels, but shears might be ok Hopefully wont see any rarities, cos I'll miss them!!!

Jason

Good luck. Some of us will be stuck at school :C no doubt getting several text messages during the course of the day about how brilliant the sea-watching is :eek!: Shame its to late for an after school run now... Some passerine at Holme on Saturday would be nice :t:

Suppose its ok for some, those who have the week of anyway ;)

bird pics gallery updated on my website, with pics of rare birds from this year

cheers

Last edited:
Jason.......If you're going to Cley or Sheringham (probably the wisest choice) then you should find some seasoned sea-watchers that will hopefully put you onto stuff/help you out. Beware of some over zealous 'experts' though.... There have been times when I've watched in a blow from the shingle at Cley or in the shelters at Sheringham hearing cries of "Soot Shear.....!", "Cory's.....!", "Sabs.....!" etc. when all that's out there are Gannets and Kittis! You'll also learn to accept that there'll be distant or poorly seen birds that will have to go unID'd. All part of the fun though.

It's also a good idea to familiarise yourself with any 'seamarks' eg rigs, buoys, ships etc as these are often used as reference points when something is called out. Remember too that '12 o'clock' is straight out, left of this 11 o'clock, 10 o'clock... right 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock etc...

I'll be looking out for the pager reports...

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back