• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching Magazine - Kent Sightings (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi,

As readers of Birdwatching magazine will know, there is a section containing details of rare or notable bird sightings, which is organized on a county basis and submitted by volunteer compilers.

For the last 3.5 years, the sightings for Kent has been compiled and submitted by yours truly, despite the fact that I actually live in Surrey (that'll teach me to complain, when I noted that the sightings for Kent were hitherto absent!!)

This wasn't too much of an issue at first, as I used to visit the usual Kent birding hotspots fairly regularly, but these days my birdwatching is pretty-much confined to local patchwork here in Surrey. The crunch is shortly to arrive, as I will be moving house and am therefore likely to spent even less time in Kent.

So..... is there anyone out there willing to take on this duty - it takes about an hour or so a month to compile - as I feel that I've done my stint (geddit) over the last few years. Obviously it would be quite a shame if one of the premiere bird-watching counties in the UK reverted back to being unrepresented.....so come on you Kent birders, the plate is waiting to be stepped up to!!

Rgds.... Ray

It would be a sad state of affairs for such a good county not to appear in Birdwatching magazine.

CB

My thoughts exactly!!

I was shocked when I noticed that Kent (alone amongst virtually all UK counties) was absent from the mag in the first place, and even more shocked when no one from Kent could be found who might like to take up the baton - which is why I've been doing it for the last 3.5 years.

In addition to this plea, I have also put a request out on the Kent Ornithological Society forum and, fair to say, am yet to be trampled in the rush of volunteers!

Rgds.... Ray

Hi,

As readers of Birdwatching magazine will know, there is a section containing details of rare or notable bird sightings, which is organized on a county basis and submitted by volunteer compilers.

For the last 3.5 years, the sightings for Kent has been compiled and submitted by yours truly, despite the fact that I actually live in Surrey (that'll teach me to complain, when I noted that the sightings for Kent were hitherto absent!!)

Rgds.... Ray

Hi Ray,

I've edited your copy for BW every month so thanks for all your input. If you drop Matt Merrit an email at the magazine, I'm sure that he will try and find a replacement for you. As you say, we need a Kent report.

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi Ray,

I've edited your copy for BW every month so thanks for all your input. If you drop Matt Merrit an email at the magazine, I'm sure that he will try and find a replacement for you. As you say, we need a Kent report.

Cheers,

Gordon

Thanks Gordon - I remember the conversations that we had at the time (about tide tables!)...

I've alerted Matt that I will probably have to finish up, but I had hoped to find him a ready-made replacement - it'll make me feel a bit better if I don't just shuffle off and leave the post unfilled....

All the best... Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back