• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

John Dracon RIP (1 Viewer)

Grimnir

Dear all,

I'd like to pay a brief tribute to John Dracon who, I have just discovered, died in December 2016.

John posted frequently in this forum from 2008 onwards.

His post here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3527532#post3527532

was instrumental in bringing the Bushnell Rangemaster to my attention. I subsequently bought three: two by Fuji (a Bk7 and a BaK4) and one by Tamron. The FPO BaK4 version is a superb binocular.

John and I corresponded by email, with me benefiting from his wisdom and experience, until a few months before his death.

Rest well, John, and thank you.

Graham

Thank you Graham for letting me know.

I thought this might be the case as we corresponded and he knew this might happen at any time.

Be at peace John.

John was a veteran U.S. marine who fought in Vietnam, an ardent educator, a hunter who loved the land and a helpful friend to those who shared his interest in optics for nature observation. I suspect that his students and co-workers were fortunate in his hard and in his leadership.

I join others in this forum who will miss him.

Arthur

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, I recently read some of his posts on an older thread. He was
a very interesting person, and a great storyteller.

I also hope he rests in peace.

Jerry

Last edited:
John was one of those members whose posts I would always read. He was a wealth of information on binoculars, Bushnell included. Not only did he willingly share his vast knowledge on binoculars but often times he would relate it to some personal experience in his life. I would learn about binoculars and life in general reading John's posts. We were fortunate to have him as a member and he will be missed.

John was keen, experienced and insightful, one of our best. Thanks for the news of his death. I'll miss him.

Ron

I'm very sorry to hear this news. John had such a positive impact upon those around him that I would like to write just a few brief words.

John Dracon was a fantastic and articulate storyteller as we can see from his posts on this forum. I know that John would have been a truly great mentor to the many students who were fortunate enough to have him as their teacher. John was kind enough to personally correspond with me and he also took the time to counsel me regarding the purchase of rare and unusual binoculars. John was also very generous and did not hesitate in surface mailing me useful information from his personal files and archives.
John Dracon possessed the special talent of being able to articulate his incredible life experiences and wisdom through his skilful writing. On many occasions I read his posts and especially his wonderful emails to my mother (she had been unwell herself, and eagerly awaited his emails) as John recounted his amazing life and various adventures in Montana. Always humble, John would cheerfully delight in following up with another story or further information upon request. For me, John's ability to historically and scientifically contextualise his experiences, all while appreciating and articulating the stunning beauty of nature was a rare gift.

John, you will be missed dearly. Thank you for your kindness, wisdom and generosity of spirit.

Rest in peace.

Rathaus

Last edited:
Just very recently I was re-reading John's posts re the Rangemaster while trying to get more informed about extra wide angle binoculars, and found them extremely informative. I'm saddened to hear of his passing but am grateful for the legacy of knowledge in his posts which, I'm sure, will continue to be of value to many others.

huge loss. I chatted with him only once in PM and told him how I liked his writing and stories.
He was a real gentleman.

I'm sorry that John has passed on and I extend my regrets to his family.

I remember discussing with him a Fly Fishing float trip I had taken down Smith's River from his home town of White Sulpher Springs, Montana to Eden, Montana and how much I enjoyed it.

Bob

John was an eloquent writer and fantastic storyteller. I believe he was in his early 80's. He will be missed.

How John fitted in corresponding with as many people as he did I will never know. What I do know is that he always had time for me and he shared many stories with me and was such a gentle man (the space is intentional) and such an eloquent one.

Au revoir John.

Lee

Just saw this now. Very sorry to see this.�� My deepest condolences to John's family.

I always enjoyed reading John's posts and am really going to miss seeing them. Rest In Peace.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back