• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Roundhay Park

I've decided I'm going to spend more dinnertimes in 2011 birding at Roundhay, rather than working through my lunch.

I've been up a couple of times lately and walked the lake near The Mansion.

Does anyone have any tips to working Roundhay Park - best bits, any feeding stations etc.?

What does the lake hold in summer grebe wise? At the moment only Mallards and Tufties.

Today I was able to get some stonking shots of Stock Dove feeding on the ground a few feet away.

What's the difference between Roundhay and Gledhow woods, if any?

Also Red Kite over harehills on the drive up.

Thanks

I've decided I'm going to spend more dinnertimes in 2011 birding at Roundhay, rather than working through my lunch.

Does anyone have any tips to working Roundhay Park - best bits, any feeding stations etc.?

What does the lake hold in summer grebe wise? At the moment only Mallards and Tufties.

Today I was able to get some stonking shots of Stock Dove feeding on the ground a few feet away.

Thanks

Hi Steve, Tony birds round Roundhay fairly regularly, I think he's posted on the Roundhay Ramblings thread that Keith started as 'Passerdomesticus' - may be worth dropping him an email/call as I think he's going there fairly often at the minute,

Cheers, Andy

Sorry for continuing the non Yorks stuff but as it's close....
2 LSWs at Rufford today showing very well between gates and car park.

The Dales are good for upland birds like buzzards, ravens, hen harriers, peregrines, curlews and twite.

Only been there once myself, but nice place

Thanks

Ask Graham about Gledhow Woods Steve, I know that's near his flat and he goes regular, also the friends of Gledhow Woods have a website HERE

The red kite over Harehills is very regular, my wife's office is on Roundhay Road and she sees it almost daily.

I've only just started to watch Roundhay Park regularly since the New Year so I'm only just finding my feet so to speak.

Great crested grebe on Waterloo Lake last wed, with grey wagtail on the feeder stream to Upper Lake.
The footpath from Upper Lake to the back of the castle seems to be best for finches, had both redpolls and siskin in that area.

There's chance of great spot pecker almost anywhere, I've had a very tentative lesser pecker in the area below the waterfall from Upper Lake (call heard and a flying bird seen very very briefly but no bins so can't be 100%) as yet to find any green woodies.

Dave, whereabouts were the birds - along the path at St. Aidan's?

The birds were at the entrance to Fleet plantation on the riverside path, just through the gate/stile (100 yds or so upriver from the hide).

I've had another look this afternoon but all I could find were about 20 Lesser Redpoll on the canal side of the same plantation.

There have been a few reports of similar birds in the area for a few weeks but these birds are mobile (and usually feeding high up makes ID extremely difficult).

I believe Paul had one of these at Methley bridge on Saturday. I don't think anyone has seen a bird yet with a prominent white rump though so as it stands these are still mealies.

Dave.

On winter holidays perhaps, just got sent winter wetland bird survey from Macedonia, count of 3400 Great Crested Grebe from one point fairly impressive. A bit bigger than Roundhay Park Lake mind.

On winter holidays perhaps, just got sent winter wetland bird survey from Macedonia, count of 3400 Great Crested Grebe from one point fairly impressive. A bit bigger than Roundhay Park Lake mind.

Now that I would really like to see.
Best I've had at Roundhay over the years is 2 pair on Waterloo Lake and a pair on Upper Lake about 5 years ago.

went for a paddle this afternoon

if you saw me today yes,i was that idiot!

Had two hours to kill before a meeting in York thought i would pay Redhouse a visit,bumped into a local guy who said he had been walking the area for over 50 years,and offered to show me all the best spots, he suggested we do a circular walk and end up back at the main entrance, an hour and half on the walk and with the end in site it became apparent that we were rapidly running out of grass to walk on (owing to the floods) "never seen it this bad" he said two options walk all the way back or???

yep boots and socks off, trousers up to the knees and a slow stroll ankle deep in the water for the last 30 yards what a pleasant stroll!! it was like last of the summer wine!!

arrived for meeting less boots and socks and covered in mud, but a totally brilliant afternoon.

some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

Goshawk display season has started - but male's performance finished at 1.20 & wasn't resumed. Also 7 Buzzards & 3 Red Kites in the air together

Nice photos zing. The pale spot on the base of the bill and the black cap that doesn't extend beyond the mantle suggest Marsh Tit to me. Willow tits often appear to be more dumpy as well with whiter cheeks and often a pale panel on the secondaries.

Last edited:
Nice photos zing. The pale spot on the base of the bill and the black cap that doesn't extend beyond the mantle suggest Marsh Tit to me. willow tits often appear to be more dumpy as well.

thanks ken really appreciate the comments i struggle like hell with this bird!!!!

if you saw me today yes,i was that idiot!

Had two hours to kill before a meeting in York thought i would pay Redhouse a visit,bumped into a local guy who said he had been walking the area for over 50 years,and offered to show me all the best spots, he suggested we do a circular walk and end up back at the main entrance, an hour and half on the walk and with the end in site it became apparent that we were rapidly running out of grass to walk on (owing to the floods) "never seen it this bad" he said two options walk all the way back or???

yep boots and socks off, trousers up to the knees and a slow stroll ankle deep in the water for the last 30 yards what a pleasant stroll!! it was like last of the summer wine!!

arrived for meeting less boots and socks and covered in mud, but a totally brilliant afternoon.

some pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

I was going to say, all that's missing from this is finding an old pram or shopping trolley in the river, and a convenient hill, and you've got yourself a 100 year sitcom.

Wonderful day spent at Clumber, Rufford CP Sherwood Forest... couldn`t have asked for better weather....blue skies all day =)

Lovely to see the Hawfinches, Nuthatches, Marsh Tits and so many other birds in decent weather.

Ultra happy to spend the day hanging out with so many Nuthatches... gorgeous little birds.

Finally some shots I`m pleased with.

=)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Really nice Nuthatch photo Clare!

My days birding didn't quite go to plan though after my windscreen got smashed on the A15! What a waste of a great day!!

Andy

Wonderful day spent at Clumber, Rufford CP Sherwood Forest... couldn`t have asked for better weather....blue skies all day =)

Lovely to see the Hawfinches, Nuthatches, Marsh Tits and so many other birds in decent weather.

Ultra happy to spend the day hanging out with so many Nuthatches... gorgeous little birds.

Finally some shots I`m pleased with.

=)

Really nice Nuthatch photo Clare!

My days birding didn't quite go to plan though after my windscreen got smashed on the A15! What a waste of a great day!!

Andy

Looks like you had the same plans as me...

If its any consolation - the buzzard didnt show that well (distant, silhouetted by the sun).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back