• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

I've decided I'm going to spend more dinnertimes in 2011 birding at Roundhay, rather than working through my lunch.

I've been up a couple of times lately and walked the lake near The Mansion.

Does anyone have any tips to working Roundhay Park - best bits, any feeding stations etc.?

What does the lake hold in summer grebe wise? At the moment only Mallards and Tufties.

I've usually found the 'Gorge' and the area between the large lower (Waterloo) Lake and the golf couse the best, probably because they're the quietest.
Someone did hang feeders and spread seed on the walls of the Castle ruin at the north end of the Waterloo Lake, which attracted tits (including a Marsh Tit for several winters), nuthatch, finches, but this seems to have stopped. The ducks and geese are fed on both lakes, which attracts a few sparrows, corvids, etc. as well.
The small (upper) lake usually has a pair of Little Grebes in summer whilst the Waterloo Lake has up to five pairs of Great Crested Grebe in the area that the boats can't access.
The large lake seems to attract more fly-over waders and a wider variety of wildfowl.
The churchyard near the car park in the old open-air swimming pool site (just below the dam on the large lake) is also worth visiting (Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Spotted Flycatcher and large Brambling flocks in years gone by).

Had a trip down to Swillington Ings late this afternoon, managed to be looking at the gulls when the bittern flew so missed it completely, just my luck. There were plenty of gulls coming in but sadly I couldn't find a white wing among them.
There were 19 curlew on stint island just before I left and a very vocal pair of oystercatchers were nice birds to find tazzing around Astley Lake.

Had an hour at South Ferriby today, really good views of the Rough-leg. North Duffield Carrs for the last hour of light had 116 Whooper Swan which is my highest personal count so far. Shovelers also up on my last visit. More details and counts on my blog.

Cheers, Andy

Excellent! Did it come any closer to the layby? I`m told he flies over to the Island sometimes...

Yeah was closer than my last visit at least, near the edge of the fenced area. Marsh Harriers (x3 min) were also showing well too. It was good views until the sun came out, then it was backlit etc so wasn't great then.

Tykes!

Just in case anyone is interested........tykes forum day meet this sunday. Check yorkshire thread for info...hope I haven't just volunteered as secretary;)....but would be happy to be so!!!

Paul

ps all welcome!!Latest is a day at coast...with a look for raptors..not kestrels,not sprawks!!

pps no one now has an excuse ' they didn't know!!'

Last edited:
Had an hour at South Ferriby today, really good views of the Rough-leg. North Duffield Carrs for the last hour of light had 116 Whooper Swan which is my highest personal count so far. Shovelers also up on my last visit. More details and counts on my blog.

Cheers, Andy

love the stuff on the blog Andy keep it up, were the cormorants still showing on the far posts i was down there yesterday morning until a fox turned up at about 10am and scared most of the birds away.

also went to Allerthorpe today lots of finches,coal tits etc and several tree creepers.

some recent pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

Attachments

• a5a.jpg
    a5a.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Allerthorpe.jpg
    Allerthorpe.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
love the stuff on the blog Andy keep it up, were the cormorants still showing on the far posts i was down there yesterday morning until a fox turned up at about 10am and scared most of the birds away.

also went to Allerthorpe today lots of finches,coal tits etc and several tree creepers.

some recent pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zing0414/

Thanks Zing glad you like the blog - It's great over at North Duffield, may see you over there!!! I didn't see a single Cormorant down there today, I guess they'd gone up to Wheldrake by the time I got there.

Was there any redpoll over there today? Might try and take a look at the weekend

Cheers, Andy

Thanks Zing glad you like the blog - It's great over at North Duffield, may see you over there!!! I didn't see a single Cormorant down there today, I guess they'd gone up to Wheldrake by the time I got there.

Was there any redpoll over there today? Might try and take a look at the weekend

Cheers, Andy

did not see any but things are starting to hot up as you might expect at this time of year,it was very noticable that the North duff area was very light on birds during the windy spell got any theories?

Sale of forrestry commission woodlands

Not sure who first announced this..but I jumped on the waggon.The bill was narrowly defeated apparently..meaning the government now have go ahead to sell off thousands hectares forrestry woodland..watch out wykeham etc etc. My local MP has replied, god bless him.He does seem quite animated for a politician...there is a meeting in York, sat 12th feb at 15 Priory St, at the Priory st centre,YO1 6ET. This has resulted from the 'save our forrests campaign'.
The meeting starts at 11 am.
Hugh Bayley the mp has given this contact details for those interested in attending, but I suggest anyone who can or wishes to attend should!!

The email is that of his parliamentary assistant: [email protected]

They are going to sell it off.....rights of way??Wildlife??Nightjars??Goshawks???

Long time since i was politically motivated....this has woken me up though!!

My political persuasion doesn't matter......nor should anyones re this matter....say no more!!

Paul

Last edited:
did not see any but things are starting to hot up as you might expect at this time of year,it was very noticable that the North duff area was very light on birds during the windy spell got any theories?

I guess they were in amongst the vegetation or up against the banks sheltering. I guess with the higher water levels they may be more 'spread out' also.

Top Hill Low

Going to try (if weathers owt like) Top Hill Low tomorrow apparently Glaucous,Goldeneye, little egret, lesser black backed, smew,woodcock and brambling have all been regulars this week anybody got any info on it?

Going to try (if weathers owt like) Top Hill Low tomorrow apparently Glaucous,Goldeneye, little egret, lesser black backed, smew,woodcock and brambling have all been regulars this week anybody got any info on it?

Check out http://tophilllow.blogspot.com/ it has contact number. Give Rich a call to see whats about - thats probably best to see whats going on on a particular day

Woodcock and Brambling will be from the visitors centre. The gulls will be around D res at the roost if it they are about. Goldeneye may be on either res. The smew may be on the O or D res but may also be at Watton Pits, probably best for little egret there (or on one of the wader scrapes down that way.)

Check out http://tophilllow.blogspot.com/ it has contact number. Give Rich a call to see whats about - thats probably best to see whats going on on a particular day

Woodcock and Brambling will be from the visitors centre. The gulls will be around D res at the roost if it they are about. Goldeneye may be on either res. The smew may be on the O or D res but may also be at Watton Pits, probably best for little egret there (or on one of the wader scrapes down that way.)

Spot on Andy, many thanks for the info, appreciate the help, will give it a go tomorrow.

Wonderful day spent at Clumber, Rufford CP Sherwood Forest... couldn`t have asked for better weather....blue skies all day =)

Lovely to see the Hawfinches, Nuthatches, Marsh Tits and so many other birds in decent weather.

Ultra happy to spend the day hanging out with so many Nuthatches... gorgeous little birds.

Finally some shots I`m pleased with.

=)

Love the Nuthatch Clare - finally some sun!

I've decided I'm going to spend more dinnertimes in 2011 birding at Roundhay, rather than working through my lunch.

I've been up a couple of times lately and walked the lake near The Mansion.

Does anyone have any tips to working Roundhay Park - best bits, any feeding stations etc.?

What does the lake hold in summer grebe wise? At the moment only Mallards and Tufties.

I've usually found the 'Gorge' and the area between the large lower (Waterloo) Lake and the golf couse the best, probably because they're the quietest.
Someone did hang feeders and spread seed on the walls of the Castle ruin at the north end of the Waterloo Lake, which attracted tits (including a Marsh Tit for several winters), nuthatch, finches, but this seems to have stopped. The ducks and geese are fed on both lakes, which attracts a few sparrows, corvids, etc. as well.
The small (upper) lake usually has a pair of Little Grebes in summer whilst the Waterloo Lake has up to five pairs of Great Crested Grebe in the area that the boats can't access.
The large lake seems to attract more fly-over waders and a wider variety of wildfowl.
The churchyard near the car park in the old open-air swimming pool site (just below the dam on the large lake) is also worth visiting (Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Spotted Flycatcher and large Brambling flocks in years gone by).

Thanks all for the info. Looking forward to photographing some displaying GCG's in the next couple of months.

Where are they?

I guess they were in amongst the vegetation or up against the banks sheltering. I guess with the higher water levels they may be more 'spread out' also.

Can't give personal obs re N.Duff....but..Holy island couple of weeks ago, where normally have seen birds in harbour and landward side.....nil doing. Big westerly was blowing though...and on N sea side small beach with waders +++,kestrel and female Hen Harrier!

Suppose the birds aren't stupid...been here longer than us!!
Local patch work tells me the same...one day nothing, next,,,plenty!!
They just get down out of weather..I think!!!
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back