• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Central Park (1 Viewer)

KEVIN BROWN

Casual Birder
Both these pictures where taken this week any suggestions to id very welcome. Thank you

Attachments

• Warbler.JPG
    Warbler.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 177
  • Sapsucker.jpg
    Sapsucker.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 182
Hermit Thrush for #1. I'd guess a juvie Yellow-bellied Sapsucker for #2, with its breast feathers fluffed so you can't see the species' distinctive white on the wing.

I first thought 1 was a warbler, but you are right, 2 I thought the same a Juv Sapsucker the only other thought I had not sure if a Juv Three toed was possible or I do not have an image but on second picture it seems to only have three toes, but I might be just getting ahead of myself, could anyone confirm my id of the sparrows the first Fox and the second Song. sapsucker 2.jpg

13   FOX SPARROW AT CENTRAL PARK..jpg

Attachments

• SONG SPARROW.jpg
    SONG SPARROW.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 126
I'd suggest the first Sparrow is Fox rather than Song, spotty rather than streaky underparts, very rufous brown on the head contrasting with the grey, yellow on the bill.

James

I'd suggest the first Sparrow is Fox rather than Song, spotty rather than streaky underparts, very rufous brown on the head contrasting with the grey, yellow on the bill.

James

Fox was my first port of call! (head pattern looks better)...but thought the bill looked more grey than yellow!....however upon closer inspection..I believe there is a ''smidgeon'' of dirty yellow visible, thus I agree that Fox is probably a better call.

#1 Hermit Thrush

#2 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

#3 Fox Sparrow

#4 White-throated Sparrow

Having rechecked the book I can see why #4 is WT sparrow and not Song as I first thought. #2 Sapaucker was my first thought, just got a little carried away by the toe formation, but I don,t think you get Three Toed in Central Park, do you ?

Found a better picture of another Fox Sparrow, thank you all for your input it is very much appreciated , Birding time was very limited due having Mrs Brown with me, so I was concerntrating on obtaining photos to Id what I saw and had such had little time to study the birds.

Thanks again.

kevin

Attachments

• fx.JPG
    fx.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 51
Having rechecked the book I can see why #4 is WT sparrow and not Song as I first thought. #2 Sapaucker was my first thought, just got a little carried away by the toe formation, but I don,t think you get Three Toed in Central Park, do you ?

There are some records of Three-toed in NYC. But it is quite a rare species in NYC.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back