• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Male Purple Emperor in my garden - uncommon? (1 Viewer)

MTem

Not a Fluttery expert by any means. I can ID the more common/obvious ones, and am trying to get on better terms with them to add them to my BTO Garden Birdwatch listings - so with that intro....

I have a large (2 acre) garden/wood that is adjacent to Surrey Weald clay farmland near the Surrey/Sussex border, and my garden list to date is composed to date of the common/expected species given the Collins Butterfly Guidebook I have.

So was a little surprised to see a male Purple Emperor flitting about in the garden - just time to get the one underwing photo below before it took off over the roof. I did see the blue upper wing to confirm a male. Is this unusual - the small distribution map in Collins does seem to show an area north from Southampton, and perhaps something along the south coast, but nothing that near where I am.

Did have a Camberwell beauty in the early 90's just after we moved in!

Any thoughts?

Mick

Attachments

• Jun17-01UK.jpg
    Jun17-01UK.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 134
Yes I saw that. I have done a bit more research online and the link below shows the UK distribution in more detail.

http://butterfly-conservation.org/1866-843/purple-emperor.html

I surmise from this that it is uncommon, scattered, elusive and a lover of large tracts of woodland. There are a few reasonable size (10Ha) woods nearby (within a mile or more) but not adjacent. From the map on the link I'm in the 2-9 sightings 2010-2014 at the eastern edge of it's UK range, so I guess I have to regard myself as lucky have seen one in my garden.

Mick.

Yes I saw that. I have done a bit more research online and the link below shows the UK distribution in more detail.

http://butterfly-conservation.org/1866-843/purple-emperor.html

I surmise from this that it is uncommon, scattered, elusive and a lover of large tracts of woodland. There are a few reasonable size (10Ha) woods nearby (within a mile or more) but not adjacent. From the map on the link I'm in the 2-9 sightings 2010-2014 at the eastern edge of it's UK range, so I guess I have to regard myself as lucky have seen one in my garden.

Mick.

You're far from the eastern edge of the range as it's found at sites in Norfolk! I see it at sites around the London area. By its nature it can be an elusive butterfly so probably under recorded away from well known localities. An excellent find for your garden.

You're far from the eastern edge of the range as it's found at sites in Norfolk! I see it at sites around the London area. By its nature it can be an elusive butterfly so probably under recorded away from well known localities. An excellent find for your garden.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant the eastern edge in the Surrey/Sussex/Kent region looking at that distribution map. Anyway as you say I do now feel it was a good find!

Mick

Great shot Mick, was it imaged on the ground? FWIW I had a call from a friend on Saturday to report two "clashing" males! and a Goshawk (much higher up than the former), in Epping Forest, NE London. I've had just the two separate sightings locally of Pemps, and yes they are a bit special, as was your sighting. :t:

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back