• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (2 Viewers)

While its fresh, I thought I'd draw this scene out on panel. Rudimentary use of largish flat brush, blocked it in very quickly. Garganey pair from a few hours ago with Little Grebe and Gadwall pair courting in background..want to do this one quite directly without overpainting the scene..

well done! what are we all going to do when the Garganey moment is past?

something will turn up

I've got fingers crossed for some Dotterel this spring to continue the whitestriped excitement..

superb garganey - expect more, I only had four a few days ago, whereas about twenty was the norm last week. I love the reed bunting too. Predictions for what will take their place - Penduline Tits - many more than normal going through here, also Bluethroat - three self-found in the past week or so, though I hope Ed's prediction is correct - Dotterel is very high on my want list!

superb garganey - expect more, I only had four a few days ago, whereas about twenty was the norm last week. I love the reed bunting too. Predictions for what will take their place - Penduline Tits - many more than normal going through here, also Bluethroat - three self-found in the past week or so, though I hope Ed's prediction is correct - Dotterel is very high on my want list!

Top of my list are Red Necked Grebe, Broad-billed Sandpiper(not seen one in too long), Red Necked Phalarope, Dotterel on the deck please Ed,(my last few have been flyovers),Summer garb Little Gull, Tengmalms Owl(long awaited), Ring Ouzel and Rustic Bunting...all perfectly possible here, if not likely...

More optimistically a Red Flanked Bluetail or either Sandplover and I'd be a very happy camper...

Now back to covering myself in Acrylic paint....

Thanks guys...but afraid I've been out again today...

Out at Saby Strand today, a wee wetland and the star was Green Sandpiper. So heres everything I put down, first in pen and later in pencil at a close by wetland called 30 M Kärret in pencil....

Also in here somewhere a flash sketch of an Osprey...

Attachments

• Green sand pen 1-2.jpg
    Green sand pen 1-2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Green sand pen 1.jpg
    Green sand pen 1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Green sand pen 2.jpg
    Green sand pen 2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 33
  • Green sand pen 5.jpg
    Green sand pen 5.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Green sand pen 6.jpg
    Green sand pen 6.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 31
....also last nights progress on the Garganey piece.

If this were shorthand I'd be the only one in the world who could read it, I do know where this is going, for once, feels to be going well so far...

Attachments

• Green sand pen 7.jpg
    Green sand pen 7.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Green sand pencil 2.jpg
    Green sand pencil 2.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 38
  • reen sand pen 3.jpg
    reen sand pen 3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 39
  • progress.jpg
    progress.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Osprey pencil.jpg
    Osprey pencil.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 33
Some fantastic sketches again. I particularly like the Green sands:t:

I really love some of those sandpiper sketches, esp. the first one. And it's interesting to hear that you're pleased with the painting so far. It's funny how we often use a personal and idiosyncratic shorthand that may not make sense to others. I look forward to seeing this develop, when birds and time permit;)

Why does everyone else have garganey!? Where's mine, I want one!

Nice work here as always, I'm particularly taken with the osprey sketch, just enough to capture the bird and not too much to deaden it.

Mike

Steller's Eider, a lifer, northern duck you just have to travel to see and a bird I used to dream about. Second year female from Landsort a few days ago. Much smaller than I expected. Not a lot of time on this bird, which was generally sleeping...

Attachments

• Stell1.jpg
    Stell1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Stell2.jpg
    Stell2.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Stell3.jpg
    Stell3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Stell4.jpg
    Stell4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 37
And a few other bits from the same area...preening Oystercatcher, Sleeping Common Eider female and a male Common Eider fleeing from an aggressive male with mate..

Attachments

• Oyster1.jpg
    Oyster1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Eider female1.jpg
    Eider female1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Eider3.jpg
    Eider3.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 46
Well done on the Steller's - excitement through the drawings is tangible. Brilliant oystercatcher angles - spot on and the charactrisation in the fleeing eider is perfect. A very fine bunch, mate - on top form.

Well done on the Steller's - excitement through the drawings is tangible. Brilliant oystercatcher angles - spot on and the charactrisation in the fleeing eider is perfect. A very fine bunch, mate - on top form.

Have to agree with all of this, especially the tangible excitement of the Stellar's. And I could swear that there is a sense of a frown on the fleeing eider! I always love seeing sketches that have this sense of excitement in them.

Steller's Eider, a lifer, northern duck you just have to travel to see and a bird I used to dream about. Second year female from Landsort a few days ago. Much smaller than I expected. Not a lot of time on this bird, which was generally sleeping...

great fun Steller's: lots of your excitement loaded into the lines

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back