• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Diascope85. The "nut" for connecting to the tripod is broken. (1 Viewer)

Fernando np

Hello,
Today I've been punished in my Diascope for not being enough careful. Lately, I've changed everyday between tripod plate, manfrotto, and the car window clamp. As a result the threaded piece with works as a nut in the base of the scope tends to turn out. Today I've broken part of it. Not enough reason for looking for a new scope! , the piece is threaded for both sides. It's a nut from the point of view of the tripod and a bolt from the scope one. The problem is how to get a new one. Two questions:
1- What's it's name?
2- Where can I order from?, not planned to put my feet in the optics shops these days.

Thanks in advance.
Fernando

Fernando,

A first-class camera store should have them, as well as any camera repair shop. I just saw some at Fotofennica in Helsinki the other day. They are not expensive.

Kimmo

Fernando,

These adapters are usually made of stainless steel, which is considerably harder than the aluminium tripod foot of your Diascope. I do hope that you haven't damaged the latter.

Many of these, including the one supplied with a Diascope I used to own, have only one thread turn and I wouldn't want my scope hanging on so little. Just another example of poor accessories supplied by even the top manufacturers! If there is a 3/8" x 16 thread on the scope foot then I use a QR plate with the apprpriate fixing screw.

I strongly recommend that you attach a QR adapter to your car window clamp to avoid putting too much strain on your scope foot through repeared changes.

I have a number of threaded inserts, which I don't use, one of them extra long, which would be ideal for the Diascope with its open ended female thread and would happily mail it to you if you PM me with your address.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back