• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts about first scope (1 Viewer)

Hello!

Recently I've been thinking about getting a scope but I'm unceartain what I really need.
It'd be used;
Down by the lake.
In open fields/wetlands (got great bird wetland reserves nearby).
When hiking in the mountains..
..and canoeing.
Just relaxed leisure viewing...
..when you've set up tent.

And ofc general viewing, woods walks, front yard feeder watching, car trips etc.

I've glanced over most of what is out there; Leica, Swarovski, Kowa, Zeiss, Vortex, Nikon etc.

Money is not an issue but I can't really justify spending $3000-3500 on a big "alpha" scope that might be too cumbersome to bring with me most of the time. I'm not a diehard watcher (yet) ;)

Saw very positive feedback on the Nikon ED50A with the 27xW, on this site, which made me interested.

Current price in Sweden;
Body ~$500
27xW DS ~$375
Seems very overpriced? Maybe because it's getting old and the only ones left selling are keeping their prices?

How are the Opticron MM4 50/60's and their oculars compared to the ED50?

Or would I be better off in the long run with something in the 60-65mm range like a Swarovski ATS65HD, 65mm Televid or even a 773?

Been using a Nikon Monarch 5, who's served me well, but it's time to think about the future :king:

Hi,

First of all, welcome to BF!

The ED 50 with 27x wide would be an optically great and very portable option with maybe six hundred something grams. The prices stated are indeed a bit steep - buying from japanese ebay you'd probably pay $320 for the body and $265 for the EP plus maybe 30 bucks for S&H plus of course whatever tax & duty you have to pay in sweden.

The reach is a bit limited for your lake and wetland use though - I guess many ED50 users have a big Fieldscope too. A scope in the 60-65mm class has a higher chance of being useful as an all-purpose instrument.

The MM4 gets good reviews but I haven't used it myself - their waterproof and field-flattened SDLv2 zoom comes highly recommended (I use it on my old Kowa TSN-3 and it's just great) with the MM4 60mm you get 15-45x and this is around 1000 grams. Unfortunately Opticron currently doesn't have a wide angle fixed EP for it in the 30-35x range - but I guess that might change with time...

Joachim

Last edited:
Hello!

Recently I've been thinking about getting a scope but I'm unceartain what I really need.
It'd be used;
Down by the lake.
In open fields/wetlands (got great bird wetland reserves nearby).
When hiking in the mountains..
..and canoeing.
Just relaxed leisure viewing...
..when you've set up tent.

And ofc general viewing, woods walks, front yard feeder watching, car trips etc.

I've glanced over most of what is out there; Leica, Swarovski, Kowa, Zeiss, Vortex, Nikon etc.

Money is not an issue but I can't really justify spending $3000-3500 on a big "alpha" scope that might be too cumbersome to bring with me most of the time. I'm not a diehard watcher (yet) ;)

Saw very positive feedback on the Nikon ED50A with the 27xW, on this site, which made me interested.

Current price in Sweden;
Body ~$500
27xW DS ~$375
Seems very overpriced? Maybe because it's getting old and the only ones left selling are keeping their prices?

How are the Opticron MM4 50/60's and their oculars compared to the ED50?

Or would I be better off in the long run with something in the 60-65mm range like a Swarovski ATS65HD, 65mm Televid or even a 773?

Been using a Nikon Monarch 5, who's served me well, but it's time to think about the future :king:

I'd strongly second jring's comments about the ED50 pricing, as well as his suggestion to use the Japanese market directly.
Tenso ( http://www.tenso.com/en/ ) has given me good service, buying from Amazon Japan and shipped back to me. I prefer to deal with corporate sellers, although recourse would be difficult in either case.
I'd also second jring's suggestion that you might be happier with a larger scope such as the Swaro 65. It offers a more comfortable view and is more robust than the plastic bodied ED50.
The Swaro is of course much more expensive as well, but amortized over a decade the difference is acceptable. Swaro scores with superb customer service backing up world class optics. Plus the 65 is still actively offered, whereas Nikon seems to be losing interest in their Fieldscope line.

The only other aspect you should keep in mind is that the scope is only as good as its tripod. A bouncy tripod that vibrates at every touch will ruin the view, no matter what scope is mounted on it. While the ED50 on a Velbon Super 8 monopod is a superbly lightweight solution for seeing birds, it is totally frustrating for actual viewing and observing because there is way too much jitter.
Good viewing mandates a good tripod, but the more parts to the tripod, the less stable it is. So compact size as well as low weight, although very desirable for travelers or hikers, are red flags when considering a tripod.
Don't skimp on this part of your investment, it is a foundation for good scope performance.

Hi,

the Swaro ATS 65 with the great 25-50 wide zoom would indeed be my pick of the 65mm options mentioned - 1.4 kg and slightly more expensive - cough, cough...

But at that weight, my TSN-3 and SDLv2 combo is only a 140g more (and quite a bit longer - but still fits my carry-on bagpack for air travel together with the bins), optically comparable and quite a bit cheaper...

Joachim

Thank you for all your input!
I came in here really set on a small ED50-type scope but now I'm starting to lean more towards a 65mm.
I don't know if I'm willing to deal with the Japanese market, where you won't have any warranty etc?

From what I understand a 65 would be a more allround, but still travel friendly tube.

Found a package that would be ~$2700, would that be overpriced too? Maybe we have crazy prices in Sweden.

-Swarovski ATS-65 HD
-Swarovski Okular 25-50x W
-Swarovski ATS-65 Allweathercase
-Manfrotto 128RC
-Manfrotto MT190CXPRO3

I feel that this will be a long process, and again thank you for all input :D

Last edited:
Hi,

the ATS 65 and 25-50 zoom would be 1800€ or roughly 2k USD over here in germany - say 400€ for the rest without having checked the prices that would be 2200€ or 2460 USD. So the difference is not that big here and might be more than offset by tax and duty if applicable.

But once again - if you can get a used TSN-3 for 400 or 500 dollar and a an SDLv2 for maybe $400, the view is quite comparable (if the Swaro is good example) and the weight is 150g more...

Joachim

Thank you for all your input!
I came in here really set on a small ED50-type scope but now I'm starting to lean more towards a 65mm.
I don't know if I'm willing to deal with the Japanese market, where you won't have any warranty etc?

From what I understand a 65 would be a more allround, but still travel friendly tube.

Found a package that would be ~$2700, would that be overpriced too? Maybe we have crazy prices in Sweden.

-Swarovski ATS-65 HD
-Manfrotto 128RC
-Manfrotto MT190CXPRO3

I feel that this will be a long process, and again thank you for all input :D

Hiking or stationary use? Or both?

The ATS65 is a very good and small scope and great value for money, but the combo above would still be around 4 kg. At least to me, it feels a bit heavy for hiking?

A lighter head and tripod could save about 1 kg, but you might not get the height and stability.

If to buy a smaller scope, the upcoming Kowa 55mm prominar might be something to look at, though the price will for sure be higher than the Nikon ED50: http://www.kowasnextbigthing.com/europe.html
The ED50 was not to my liking though still it's an OK scope for the money, but the image and quality is far from an ATS65. The new Kowa with fluorite glass might come a bit closer.

Smaller models like the ED50 and Kowa 55mm with "top-focuser" have an advantage though, they can be used on a small ball-head, to save even more weight. A larger scope with helical focus ring like the ATS65 needs a video head to work well.

Another alternative would be to get 10x or even a 12x50/15x56 mm binocular and perhaps use it with a monopod or small tripod sitting down. That would be more portable. The stereo view of a 12x bin would be comparable with a 15x scope or even a bit more.

Last edited:
Hello
Your package:-
-Swarovski ATS-65 HD
-Manfrotto 128RC
-Manfrotto MT190CXPRO3

Exactly matches what I have just bought but I quickly replaced the heavy 128RC head with a Benro S2 saving about 600 grams in weight.
I reluctantly purchased an angled scope after 42 years of using straight telescopes because I find looking upwards difficult. For portability I prefer monopods to tripods when using with a Nikon 60mm Fieldscope and more recently with a Swarovski 30 x 75 draw tube.

Hi,

You might want to determine your "weight budget" for a scope plus tripod, and see what you can fit in that budget.

I love my ED50, but just from the beautiful landscape shots you showed us ... if I'd come for a visit, I'd probably bring my big scope instead :)

Regards,

Henning

spotter

Definitely worth checking out Nikon's new MONARCH ED glass spotter. Lots of configurations depending on your needs. I have an ED50 as well. We take it on most vacation's, great for all kinds of scenery. The ED50 is just over $800 and is light weight,clear and easy to haul around. For $1600 you can get the new MONARCH spotter which has a 82mm obj, 20-60 zoom and the ED glass is outstanding. Not nearly as compact or light weight as the ED50 but 2 different yet quality spotters. Good luck choosing.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/MONARCH%20Fieldscope%20ED%2082mm%20Obj/DSC_0199.jpg

The ATS 65 and 25-50 zoom would be 1800€ or roughly 2k USD over here in germany..
But once again - if you can get a used TSN-3 for 400 or 500 dollar..
Seems like we've got similar prices for the bigger brands.
I've looked around a little for used scopes in Sweden, but the market isn't huge, and never really used ebay and such I'm a bit unsure who's trustworthy and not. Some really good deals on there, saw a Swaro 65HD + 25-50W for around 1425€.
Hiking or stationary use? Or both?

The ATS65 is a very good and small scope and great value for money, but the combo above would still be around 4 kg.

If to buy a smaller scope, the upcoming Kowa 55mm prominar might be something to look at..

Smaller models like the ED50 and Kowa 55mm with "top-focuser" have an advantage though, they can be used on a small ball-head..
I would say both. But I realize a 4kg setup would bring a lovely ~20-25kg pack into a 25-30kg pack. With aging I've gone from 100km hikes to more and more canoeing, where you easily could bring 250kg. And I don't hike and canoe every day as a profession ;)

The Kowa 553 sounds very interesting! Quick google and I found a Canadian site with a preorder for ~CAD$2500. Released in August?

You might want to determine your "weight budget" for a scope plus tripod..
That's the real tricky part, isn't it ;)
I want a Kowa 883 which weighs 1000g with a 500g tripod and can be shoved into my glove box - and keep it under $2500 please!
As a first scope, I really felt something smaller, really portable and not super expensive would be my best bet.

As much as I would love a Swaro ATS65HD or similar scope I think I might decide to look the the smaller section. A bigger tube might come later.

That leaves me with:
Opticron MM4 50 or 60 + SDLv2
Nikon ED50A + 27xW DS
Vortex smaller 50's?
Eventually Kowa 553, which I think will be rather expensive.

Thanks for all input everyone.
(And I'm still not sure if a Swaro would still be better) :king:

Hi,

if you want to buy sth new and very lightweight, maybe just wait until the Kowa 553 comes out - I would expect it to be priced maybe a bit above the Opticron and Nikon competition and coming from Kowa, top notch glass.

As far as we know atm from photos, it seems to use the small body EPs (which is a pity since the small body zoom is ok while the large body wide angle zoom is GREAT). So it's either the zoom for 15-45x which is ok or the 30x wide (which would give only 22.5x on the 553 - but then the new 501 in 20x might also be good and cheaper). Of course nothing is known about alternate EP options yet.

I would rule out Vortex spotters unless you can test one in person and get exactly that example if good... there was some disappointing stories with them...

Regarding ebay - my experiences were usually good. If you use paypal to pay, buyer protection helps quite a bit vs. obvious frauds like never delivers or sent a brick (you might want to have a friend over for a beer while opening the packet, though).

The ATS 65 with 25-50 zoom at 1400€ is indeed a very nice price. The seller has 100% positive ratings, low intensity account active since 2009, exclusively as a seller and mostly high priced electronics and lately one pair of Swaro EL bins. This tells me that he usually delivers stuff as descibed. My fear would be that swaro might have them on their black list for unexpected change of custody...

If I was interested, I would ask the seller for a photo of the scope which shows the serial number in order to check warranty.
If you get it, mail Swaro support and tell them you have been offered that scope used and would like to know if it's in warranty. If they don't object, I'd get it - paying via paypal for merchandise only.

Joachim

Last edited:
Seems like we've got similar prices for the bigger brands.
I've looked around a little for used scopes in Sweden, but the market isn't huge, and never really used ebay and such I'm a bit unsure who's trustworthy and not. Some really good deals on there, saw a Swaro 65HD + 25-50W for around 1425€.

I would say both. But I realize a 4kg setup would bring a lovely ~20-25kg pack into a 25-30kg pack. With aging I've gone from 100km hikes to more and more canoeing, where you easily could bring 250kg. And I don't hike and canoe every day as a profession ;)

The Kowa 553 sounds very interesting! Quick google and I found a Canadian site with a preorder for ~CAD$2500. Released in August?

That's the real tricky part, isn't it ;)
I want a Kowa 883 which weighs 1000g with a 500g tripod and can be shoved into my glove box - and keep it under $2500 please!
As a first scope, I really felt something smaller, really portable and not super expensive would be my best bet.

As much as I would love a Swaro ATS65HD or similar scope I think I might decide to look the the smaller section. A bigger tube might come later.

That leaves me with:
Opticron MM4 50 or 60 + SDLv2
Nikon ED50A + 27xW DS
Vortex smaller 50's?
Eventually Kowa 553, which I think will be rather expensive.

Thanks for all input everyone.
(And I'm still not sure if a Swaro would still be better) :king:
I purchased two ED50's from Japan. The first was/is perfect and sharp as a tack from 13-40X. The second appeared as good until I compared both side by side with 13-40X zooms. I interchanged lenses and verified that the second ED50 was not as sharp at higher mags as the first sample. Looking through the objective I saw why. The 2nd sample has a smudge on a lens or prism that distorts high mag views.

If someone purchased the second sample from Japan my guess is they would never know of its limitations unless they had a comparison sample or performed a careful inspection. The low mag views are fine but as mag increases the image degrades accordingly. I use a fixed 16X (30X on my ED82) lens on it that works just fine, though it is limited to 16X. It will probably end up in the hands of an aspiring birder, free of charge.

My wife loves the ED50/13-40X combo and we take it wherever we go. However, after looking at Opticron scopes I'm pretty sure I would not buy the Nikon's again. And, buying directly from Japan may or may not be a wise decision, especially regarding warranty issues.

One last comment. I tried the 27X DS on both ED50's and I just could not get comfortable with it. I happily used a 30X on my ED82 for many years but the 27X on the ED50 just didn't make my day. Others give the 27X high praise so take what I say with a grain of salt.

When i started with a scope, i took the 'this will do until i get used to the idea' notion and got a small 53mm; it was good, but in 6 months i'd realised the limitations, and bought a Swaro ATS65HD, which is almost a perfect blend of portability/lightweight and great optics - plus the great after-sales and general robustness of the build.
So, it's not so much what you do now, but what you might do because you own it!
If you went with a carbon tripod and a Manfrotto 700RC head (perfectly capable of holding the Swaro) you'd have a very light, versatile set-up.

When i started with a scope, i took the 'this will do until i get used to the idea' notion and got a small 53mm; it was good, but in 6 months i'd realised the limitations, and bought a Swaro ATS65HD, which is almost a perfect blend of portability/lightweight and great optics - plus the great after-sales and general robustness of the build.
So, it's not so much what you do now, but what you might do because you own it!
If you went with a carbon tripod and a Manfrotto 700RC head (perfectly capable of holding the Swaro) you'd have a very light, versatile set-up.

Sage advice indeed from Paddy. I would second this without hesitation. It's a terrific mid-weight scope with future proofing. With care, you should be able to get a good second hand deal too.

Alan

Pileatus, You should return the spotter to Nikon, their No Fault Policy will certainly make it right for you. Gotta love that kind of warranty!

Pileatus, You should return the spotter to Nikon, their No Fault Policy will certainly make it right for you. Gotta love that kind of warranty!

It's a great warranty, but it doesn't apply to a scope bought direct from Japan (i.e. "gray market") through Amazon USA (my preferred source), Amazon Japan + Tenso, or otherwise. That is the risk of buying non-official import merchandise.

--AP

I personally dont like the 27X either,..for nikon Eyepieces the 20X wide is my choice with the ED50..The 20X is brighter and offers a wider field ,but both are very good...my main problem with the ed50 is the lack of a good zoom..the MCII is good in terms of sharpness and contrast but the short eye relief and narrow field is nothing i wanna deal with .
I have adapted astro eyepieces for Nikon Ed50 with success,but the narrow ¨throat of the fieldscope¨mount would not allow another zoom to fit,unless it had an even smaller field stop .So although I am fine with the ED50 with a fixed eyepiece,I reckon that other brands can be a better choice for someone getting a light first scope for all around duty.
The arrival of the Kowa 55 fluorite scopes is indeed exciting,..The eyepiece that they will be using could define my final interest ...That and price.
I suspect they will hit above Opticron and Nikon small models,probably doubling their price,but i can be wrong

Last edited:
I've read through all the comments and been going over the options in my head the last couple of days.
I've narrowed it down and feel I go two routes right now;

Swarovski ATS65HD + 25-50xW
Expensive, solid, superb optics.
Body and ocular 1400 grams.
Knowing that I probably won't need to upgrade ever again.

Opticron MM4 60ED + SDLv2 (15-45x)
Alot cheaper alternative.
Uncertain about optical quality.
Mag starting at 15 compared to 25.
Body and ocular 1000 grams, 400 grams lighter than the Swaro.
Could maybe be used with an ever lighter head and tripod.

Question is how much one actually loses in optical quality.
Build and optical quality will obviously be better in the Swaro. But enough to justify the much higher price?
I read a review on the MM4 60 and one comment about how its optical quality wasn't too far off from the ATS65 etc.

If only there were serious optics shops nearby so one could compare them side by side.

Unrelated: Was out on a walk in the nearby wetlands and saw 3 western marsh harriers soar right next to eachother in the warm winds. Only problem they were just a bit too far away for 8x42. Really wished I already got a scope right there and then ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

Mag starting at 15 compared to 25.

In my opinion, that's a very nice advantage to have. You don't spend as much time switching between binoculars and scope with 15x, as the field of view is comparable and if you find something of interest, you can zoom in quickly because the scope is already on target.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back