• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown black bird in South Africa - Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (1 Viewer)

Ralph Timmermann

Good morning everybody,

I am currently archiving the images from an earlier trip to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park and I seem unable to identify this elegant specimen with Newman's Birds of Southern Africa. I don't think it's a Forc-tailed Drongo (or is it?), I think it's too elegant to be a Black Crow, but too "strong" to be a cuckoo; then I was going for starling but could not find a match; and besides I cannot do anything with the two stripes on the wings near the shoulder. I am not sure about its size, but the thorntree may give an indication. So what can it be?

Picture taken on 16 November 2011 at about 5 pm in the Nossob Valley, roughly 10...20 km north of Twee Rivieren.

Thanks for helping me and best regards,
Ralph

Attachments

• unbek_schwarzer_Vogel__2011-11-16_Nossob_Valley__RTF04454vsdxe.jpg
    unbek_schwarzer_Vogel__2011-11-16_Nossob_Valley__RTF04454vsdxe.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Is this the female?

Anteating Chat

Thanks again for the very quick answer!

Now, I have another one from the same area. In this case I thought it IS an Ant-eating Chat, but now I am no longer sure. Is this the female or a totally different species?

(I know the picture in flight is sub-standard, but I thought the white marks on the wings might be useful to see).

Thanks again and best regards,
Ralph

Attachments

• Maybe__Ant-eating_Chat__f__2011-11-11_Twee_Rivieren__RTI23383vs.jpg
    Maybe__Ant-eating_Chat__f__2011-11-11_Twee_Rivieren__RTI23383vs.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 35
  • Maybe__Ant-eating_Chat__f__2011-11-11_Twee_Rivieren__RTI23375vsyhke.jpg
    Maybe__Ant-eating_Chat__f__2011-11-11_Twee_Rivieren__RTI23375vsyhke.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 36
Thanks again for the very quick answer!

Now, I have another one from the same area. In this case I thought it IS an Ant-eating Chat, but now I am no longer sure. Is this the female or a totally different species?

(I know the picture in flight is sub-standard, but I thought the white marks on the wings might be useful to see).

Thanks again and best regards,
Ralph

Same species indeed :t:

And female indeed? Or just another male with different exposure (it's been 06:10h a.m., quite different light than for the first picture, and I guess neither bird nor photographer were fully awake then :)

Not sure about sex of that species, no book here and I didn't see them since many years.

And female indeed? Or just another male with different exposure (it's been 06:10h a.m., quite different light than for the first picture, and I guess neither bird nor photographer were fully awake then :)

Never seen the species at all, but looked up; yes, the male is dark blackish-brown, the female lighter brown.

Is THIS a Fork-tailed Drongo?

Never seen the species at all, but looked up; yes, the male is dark blackish-brown, the female lighter brown.

I guess it's probably safe to assume that that early-mornig fluffy bird was the female then.

I realize though that I have a bit like an issue with small-to-medium-sized blackish birds in the Kalahari. Particularly I wonder whether these two are Fork-tailed Drongos or not. The tail is not nearly as nicely forked as Newman's claims it should be...

Thanks for helping me again,
Ralph

Attachments

• maybe__Fork-tailed_Drongo__2011-11-11_Auob_Valley__RTI23388vsxe.jpg
    maybe__Fork-tailed_Drongo__2011-11-11_Auob_Valley__RTI23388vsxe.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 31
  • maybe__Fork-tailed_Drongo__2011-11-16_Auob_Valley__RTF04328vse.jpg
    maybe__Fork-tailed_Drongo__2011-11-16_Auob_Valley__RTF04328vse.jpg
    402.7 KB · Views: 32
I think both are Forktailed Drongos with somewhat abraded tail tips,
if i remember correctly squaretailed has a smaller, shortertailed look.

Additionally, Square-tailed Drongo does not occur in the Kgalagadi - closest range is about a thousand kilometres to the east.

True, Fork-tailed id only becomes a problem on the far eastern side, eg Kruger and futher south in KZN when comparing Square-tailed Drongo, and also the other cf species is Black Cuckoo-Shrike, which does not occur in the Kgalagadi

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back