• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Computer doodles for those that can't paint! (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk said:
Call out the lifeboat! ;)
Is this becoming a bit of a Witch-Hunt? (Now there's something I do know about - good old-fashioned values being upheld, dunking stools ((not that kind of stool!)) - small children up chimneys ((preferably yer'own - children and chimneys)) - diptheria, smallpox . . . ahhh the good old days in Barnsley . . . . .) - wipes a tear away.

timwootton said:
Is this becoming a bit of a Witch-Hunt? (Now there's something I do know about - good old-fashioned values being upheld, dunking stools ((not that kind of stool!)) - small children up chimneys ((preferably yer'own - children and chimneys)) - diptheria, smallpox . . . ahhh the good old days in Barnsley . . . . .) - wipes a tear away.

Just concerned for your well-being Tim! ;)

Deborah - that is a scarily lifelike rendition (try and enlarge the image so we can see the whole text!). Very good (I think?)

matt green said:
Hey Deborah,have you found you missing specticles yet?

Think I know who the culprit is ;)

Matt

LOL!! Ive just seen this Matt :'D

(you now owe me one Dell keyboard, Ive just spluttered a mouthful of coffee all over mine ;)

Here's another attempt - somewhat limited by pencil, brush or spray paint and a little black mouse who is not yet domesticated. (copied from the front of Collins just to complete the education of our 'real artists' on the forum :bounce: )

Last edited:
Deborah - this piece is superb - it's like a scraperboard x aquatint hybrid with bits of wax relief (that's NOT a sexual act, ya'hear?) thrown in. Very, very good.

timwootton said:
Hi Des - I used photoshop for this wooden duck! Unlike Ed (who clearly knows a damn site more than me about, well, probably everything) I'm still using a steam-powered pointing device called a MOUSE - I think Ed has a Light-sabre or something. I remember once reading about these new-fangled graphics tools, but put them firmly into the cupboard marked 'Fanciful Thinking, The Round-Earth and Other Things Which Won't Happen!
If you're seriously interested - Photoshop allows one to work in layers - the only way to get believable (by 'believable' I really mean 'photographically believable' as there are, of course, many truths) and it's a good trick to get the hang of useing the smudge and blur tools - soft, out-of-focus effects etc.
Whatever, don't forget to keep your pencil sharp!!!! (Baaa, Humbug!)

Thanks for the info Tim. Don't worry this is just a passing phase, and I promise to sharpen my pencil again soon.

I wouldn't mind trying one of those light sabres Ed mentions first though as my mouse is not very well behaved.

Cheers,
Des.

ed keeble said:
Light sabres available from here: Intuos 3 from Wacom http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/intuos.cfm- simply brilliant (nope- not sponsored by them ;) ). But there will be plenty of others out there as well.

I definitely don't know about system requirements except that the sabre works on MAC or PC. You do need enough speed RAM or whatever to ensure that there is no time lag, i.e. the speed at which paint is displayed on the monitor matches the speed you move your pen over the tablet.

As for smudge and blur in photoshop- those two plus the clone tool and gradient tool would be my top 4 most used- apart from yer brush and eraser. I do have a paint a feather in photoshop tutorial, but that might send Tim over the edge..

Ed K

Hi Ed,
are any of the lower priced models worth a look? Wacom do a model called Graphire4 with an A6 tablet area for about £70.

Cheers,
Des.

desgreene said:
I've not worked out a good way to deal with reflections yet so I've kept this one simple.

Away to the BF naughty corner for me for being braindead when labelling my Goldeneye pic!

Doh! (o)<

desgreene said:
Hi Ed,
are any of the lower priced models worth a look? Wacom do a model called Graphire4 with an A6 tablet area for about £70.

Cheers,
Des.

My guess is that Graphire 4 is just fine- but I'm always a bit hesitant about recommending something I haven't used.

The smaller tablets should be OK- as you have probably worked out, the size of tablet is unrelated to the size or levle of detail in the image you see on screen- it is just that the smaller the tablet, the less room you have for sweeping hand movements, which is limiting for artistic flourishes, but not so much of an issue for careful and steady drawing.

As for choice of range- I have always used Intuos rather than Graphire, but only because the former is what my graphic design guru uses- it may be that the main difference in functionality is that Intuos has controls on the tablet that you can use rather than on screen. But that's not a major point for a non-pro: I never use them.

I'm happy to add to the above by PM- or on forum if potentially of interest to others.

Ed K

ed keeble said:
My guess is that Graphire 4 is just fine- but I'm always a bit hesitant about recommending something I haven't used.

The smaller tablets should be OK- as you have probably worked out, the size of tablet is unrelated to the size or levle of detail in the image you see on screen- it is just that the smaller the tablet, the less room you have for sweeping hand movements, which is limiting for artistic flourishes, but not so much of an issue for careful and steady drawing.

As for choice of range- I have always used Intuos rather than Graphire, but only because the former is what my graphic design guru uses- it may be that the main difference in functionality is that Intuos has controls on the tablet that you can use rather than on screen. But that's not a major point for a non-pro: I never use them.

I'm happy to add to the above by PM- or on forum if potentially of interest to others.

Ed K

Thanks for the info Ed.

Regards, Des.

desgreene said:
Thanks for the info Ed.

Regards, Des.

Hi Des

At Ed's encouragement, I went along to a shop that stocks Wacom products here and got the chance to use a Graphire demo tablet - awesome! If you want to have a go, try this website:

http://www.wacom-europe.com

and find a dealer near you. Many seem to have a demo set (of either Graphire or Intuos) for you to have a doodle on. Beware though - once you try one it will be difficult to resist!!!

Cheers

Dave

Here's an effort with my mouse and Photoshop, plus the benefit of Ed's tutorial!

Dave

Attachments

• Malaysian Plover head.jpg
    Malaysian Plover head.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 135
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back