• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiger Cave Temple, Krabi Thailand, Nov 2017 (1 Viewer)

TwiddlingThumbs

Need help to ID these birds photographed at Tiger Cave Temple in Krabi Thailand a few days ago.

Photo 1 - I saw quite a few Bar-winged Flycatcher-shrike in the same area and at first I thought this partially blocked bird was one as well. However it does not have the "hood" on the head. Could this be an Ashy Minivet?

Photo 2 - Eastern Yellow Wagtail on account of the olive-green crown?

Photo 3 - Horrible photo of a bird in shadow and against the light as well. I'm hoping the shape of the bill can provide some kind of indication to someone on this forum of what this bird may be. I was chasing some flycatchers but somehow got this instead. I cannot tell for sure the size of this bird as it was quite high up in the trees.

Help appreciated!

Attachments

• AM.JPG
    AM.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 57
  • YW.JPG
    YW.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 58
  • UK.JPG
    UK.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 67
Isn't the bird in the 3rd image a Sooty Barbet? The bill is huge and seems to be recessed into the head of the bird. It reminds me of this image, which I can't link as it's been removed:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 3.31.25 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 3.31.25 pm.png
    204.5 KB · Views: 29
Isn't the bird in the 3rd image a Sooty Barbet? The bill is huge and seems to be recessed into the head of the bird. It reminds me of this image, which I can't link as it's been removed:

Asian Brown can look surprisingly shovel-like from below as here - http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=102129&Bird_ID=2701&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=
There is some digital mess in the original but attached, I've lightened it and enlarged a little. It's difficult to see where the chin starts but there is tertial fringing etc akin to a ABF. However that tail look s a bit odd so not totally convinced of anything.

Attachments

• UK.JPG
    UK.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 27
Thanks Andy & Mark! I did think that it could be some kind of a Barbet but since I do not have a good grasp of the size of the bird and the image is so poor, I'll leave it as unidentified.

Hi all,
Think Andy's suggestion is the correct one. There is very little primary projection on Sooty Barbet. The female on some forms have a brighter pink lower mandible.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back