• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yukon 6-100x100 (1 Viewer)

I didn't think such a thing could be for real. I googled it and there it was, at binoculars .com for $300. A wonderfully bizarre contraption; a small scope piggy backed on a large one with a (moveable mirror?) to change the light path from one objective to the other. Given the low price, high complexity, large objective(s) size and wide zoom range I would be very skeptical of this thing. It promises way too much for too little, but it would be great fun to try it.

I have the seem feeling, but yet....

henry link said:
I didn't think such a thing could be for real. I googled it and there it was, at binoculars .com for $300. A wonderfully bizarre contraption; a small scope piggy backed on a large one with a (moveable mirror?) to change the light path from one objective to the other. Given the low price, high complexity, large objective(s) size and wide zoom range I would be very skeptical of this thing. It promises way too much for too little, but it would be great fun to try it.

Not everyone can effort a the top end telescopes and with that in mind, I'm trying to find the best alternative I can find in my limited budget.
in my searches I have found this wierd creature, that I'll be so happy to hear a first hand expirience of it (on not just the automatic NO WAY that we all have) and the Eagle Optics Raven that seems be a good bargain.

Thanks,
RedBishop

RedBishop said:
Not everyone can effort a the top end telescopes and with that in mind, I'm trying to find the best alternative I can find in my limited budget.
in my searches I have found this wierd creature, that I'll be so happy to hear a first hand expirience of it (on not just the automatic NO WAY that we all have) and the Eagle Optics Raven that seems be a good bargain.

Thanks,
RedBishop

I didn't mean to denigrate your search for a good $300 scope. Like you I was amazed by the design of this "wierd creature". Too many bells and whistles for $300 is a bad sign, though.

Eagle Optics and Opticron scopes are better buys, I reckon. A scope should be easily portable, and give an easy to view image that is wide and bright.

If find it very wierd that no one even tried this scope, even just out of curisty.

Well, I'll just wait untill I have a chance to test it myself.

Thanks to everyone.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if someone tried it and found it was brilliant and did all it claimed. Reminds me of the story of NASA spending silly millions of dollars developing a pen that could write in zero gravity and in a vacuum while the Russians just used a pencil !!!!

Mick

Mickymouse said:
Wouldn't it be a hoot if someone tried it and found it was brilliant and did all it claimed. Reminds me of the story of NASA spending silly millions of dollars developing a pen that could write in zero gravity and in a vacuum while the Russians just used a pencil !!!!

Mick
I don't know, each time I pick up a pencil, it needs sharpening... But can't someone invent a ball pen that doesn't blob?

I've sent requests..

scampo said:
I don't know, each time I pick up a pencil, it needs sharpening... But can't someone invent a ball pen that doesn't blob?

I started sending requests to different winners in eBay of this scope, once I get a detailed response (and someone that can compare it to another scope) I will share the info.

I never heard that story about the pen, really good one. In my language there is some saying : "Using a cannon to kill a fly". Sounds bad in English, but I'm sure there is some english equivalent.

A response I received from an ebay user who bought the scope :

#################################################

Yes I have used the scope and am thoroughly pleased with it. I have nikon and swarvoski spotting scopes and while those cost in excess of $1000 this scope is just as clear. In fact I purchased 2 more to give to my professional hunter guides when I go on African Safaris. For the price I do not think there is a better scope. The tripod is also an excellent addition that you would want to consider. Hope this helps you

Thank you,
big5africa
#####################################################

It's beginning to look interesting, lets hope you get more replies like that one.

An English equivalent to your phrase would be " Using a sledge hammer to crack a nut"

Mick

Another e-bay response just arived :
#####################################################
Mate, personally I believe they are worth this money, they are are bit synthetic and industrial but they will do about just as good ajob as a $4000.00 ZIESS spotting scope. Recently I used this scope on moon and star gazing, excellentas good a compact scope you will get anywhere for less than half the price. Value for money the one I have used is great! many regards LOUIS
######################################################

I still wish I'll get to a see a hands-on professional review.

I was doing a bit of idle window shopping today and happened to look in the window of a camera shop and blow me there it was a Yukon 6-100X100 at £299 and it looks just as weird in the flesh so to speak as it does on the web site, I was very tempted to get it but my credit card started to cry so I didn't, very tempted though, very tempted.

Mick

Mickymouse said:
I was doing a bit of idle window shopping today and happened to look in the window of a camera shop and blow me there it was a Yukon 6-100X100 at £299 and it looks just as weird in the flesh so to speak as it does on the web site, I was very tempted to get it but my credit card started to cry so I didn't, very tempted though, very tempted.

Mick
Mick you should have gone in and had a look through it any-way,and put all of us out of our misery. :C

Just what I was thinking, Mick... even a look down the road. Is it wide, sharp, bright, etc...?

Or would the temptation have been too much?

(-;

scampo said:
Just what I was thinking, Mick... even a look down the road. Is it wide, sharp, bright, etc...?

Or would the temptation have been too much?

(-;

Yep I was bothered by the temptation, £299 is not a lot for a scope but it's a lot to waste on an impulse, another problem is that I only have a cheap Acuter scope (that was an impulse buy, seemed great at first) so anything I reported wouldn't realy be that useful, still fascinated by it though, I know I shall wind up by at least having a look through it.

Mick

That was close !!

Mickymouse said:
Yep I was bothered by the temptation, £299 is not a lot for a scope but it's a lot to waste on an impulse, another problem is that I only have a cheap Acuter scope (that was an impulse buy, seemed great at first) so anything I reported wouldn't realy be that useful, still fascinated by it though, I know I shall wind up by at least having a look through it.

Mick

Gee.. That was a close for a first-hand review !!
Anyway, I waited few months already, I can live with a few more..

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back