• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aves Vox (1 Viewer)

jmmorton

Does anyone use the Aves Vox smart phone app that runs over the top of Xeno-canto? I use it particularly when i'm abroad looking for unfamiliar warblers etc. My iPad and iPhone 7 are both on iOS 10 and I can't return any results. I've changed the language to English and it just returns "No species matched your search".

Does anyone else use it and have you experienced the same problems.

Thanks

Jonno

Still working OK for me.

My only frustration with this app is I can't find a way of working out what I have downloaded except searching again for the species name. And hence I can't readily locate a list of what I've downloaded to delete at the end of a trip. My work around is to delete the whole app and reinstall. Or am I missing something?

Still working OK for me.

My only frustration with this app is I can't find a way of working out what I have downloaded except searching again for the species name. And hence I can't readily locate a list of what I've downloaded to delete at the end of a trip. My work around is to delete the whole app and reinstall. Or am I missing something?

Thanks Murray - I actually deleted and re-downloaded the app and it now works. Don't know why I didn't think of that! So thanks for that. It does mean I have to start again but so be it.

In the version I have, whilst you cannot easily get a list of all the downloads you have, you can create lists and add the downloads to the list so you can then delete once you have been on your trip. You can delete the entire list. I don't know yet if that deletes all the recordings under it but assume so.

Cheers

Jonno

DLed Aves Vox yesterday and am quite impressed with it. I don't do much foreign birding nowadays but intend to make lots of use of it here in the States. The quality of the sound files I've sampled so far has generally been quite good but the real feature of the app as far as I'm concerned is the sheer number of song files per species compared to the handful in Bird Tunes (itself otherwise a very good app) and in Sibley and the other North American field guides.

The only real problem I've experienced so far concerns the language list: no matter which one I select, the language remains English. Not a huge deal but I'm sometimes curious about what birds are called in other languages--Danish, French, Spanish.

Last edited:
Does anyone use the Aves Vox smart phone app that runs over the top of Xeno-canto? I use it particularly when i'm abroad looking for unfamiliar warblers etc. My iPad and iPhone 7 are both on iOS 10 and I can't return any results. I've changed the language to English and it just returns "No species matched your search".

Does anyone else use it and have you experienced the same problems.

Thanks

Jonno

This problem is related that iCloud currently (in this version) may corrupt the local database. And as for now, the best way to solve this is to delete the Aves Vox the device and then remove the copy from iCloud. I have been working on the next bigger update where there will be that instead of using iCloud as sync, Aves Vox will have it's own encrypted sync for each Aves Vox account to be able to keep the synchronization up to date between units and accounts. This will also be combined to the Android version, so that users does not loose any information while changing OS.

Still working OK for me.

No, Aves Vox does not have a way to get an overview of all downloaded calls per species.

DLed Aves Vox yesterday and am quite impressed with it. I don't do much foreign birding nowadays but intend to make lots of use of it here in the States. The quality of the sound files I've sampled so far has generally been quite good but the real feature of the app as far as I'm concerned is the sheer number of song files per species compared to the handful in Bird Tunes (itself otherwise a very good app) and in Sibley and the other North American field guides.

The only real problem I've experienced so far concerns the language list: no matter which one I select, the language remains English. Not a huge deal but I'm sometimes curious about what birds are called in other languages--Danish, French, Spanish.

This issue is marked as fixed in the following version that will be released when the final testings are done.

I hope that this doesn't interfere in BF's posts policies, and if so please remove this message. But Aves Vox is no longer commercial in any way. I personally dedicate my spare time to develop, support and maintaining servers for Aves Vox to work.

Thanks for adding to the discussion Max.

Can you explain why the app doesn't give access to the full list of recordings you get when you go to the Xeno-Canto website? Just curious whether that's deliberate, based on licencing issues, or something else.

Thanks for adding to the discussion Max.

Can you explain why the app doesn't give access to the full list of recordings you get when you go to the Xeno-Canto website? Just curious whether that's deliberate, based on licencing issues, or something else.

Well, the main reason is that there are a lot of species with a lot of recordings (for example Phylloscopus collybita that has around 1.9k) and that would easlily fill up the app with just a few species. What I've done is to filter out the best quality-vise, based on the rating on Xeno-Canto, and minimized them to a small amount per call type and per species. From the next version, I will have easier access to edit and add recordings to the app for specific species. I will also work through all woodpeckers and label the ones that are drumming to drumming.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back