• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spurn YWT - road closed (1 Viewer)

Jono L

http://www.ywt.org.uk/reserves/spurn-nature-reserve

Vehicle access to the Point has been closed now for a while due to large tides and strong winds causing damage to the beach and road. YWT apologises for any inconvenience this causes. Access is still possible on foot or by bike at low tide.

Negotiations are under way with ABP who will reinstate the road once conditions allow.

Thanks,
Jono

How long would it take to walk to the point from where you can park before where the road is closed?

Thanks

Chris

Hi, to all you birders.Well sit down and read this its straight from a horses mouth.The road will NOT re'open,APB/Pilots,have gone, re located over the river near Grimsby.YWT.have bought a converted unimog to carry approx 20 people.The chassis has been stretched,and the passenger carrying compartment has been raised by about 30cm.(dont think it will be too stable with 20 people in it going over soft sand)Rumour has it that it cost near £30.000.This new venture has been named The Spurn safari,and its going to start running mid july?The fare for this journey is £10per person plus £4 parking for none members.YWT have not made a big effort in letting folk know the road is closed and ive seen many disgruntled drivers turn round and leave, not wanting to pay £4 and have to walk the 4.5km (if your disabled its a no no)to the point.I have a very capable 4x4 with the right tyres on but they wont let me though,even tho.i am a member.So thats it for me im not paying £20 for my wife and i to go to the point,i am a pensioner you know.Well bye for now if i find out any more i'll let you know.regards Digger.

In the years when I birded Spurn intensively - a while back now - I did not drive and covered the peninsula on foot. I know others do now. Yes it will be awkward not being able to get down to the point in a hurry, but at the same time it will be nice to have less traffic and grockles everywhere down the road.

Steve

must admit i've never walked the point before but its something I would like to do, guess theres not much choice now!

Clearly the Disability Discrimination Act isn't something the YWT take too seriously. Pity.

To be fair you cant expect a charity to keep on plunging thousands (millions?) of pounds into a road that's going to keep getting washed away, DDA Act or no.

Think the only solution would be to pile drive,not sure if that is possible plus what the cost would be.

Clearly the Disability Discrimination Act isn't something the YWT take too seriously. Pity.

No discrimination - disabled or not you can't drive down a road that isn't there.

Not sure how disabled people will be catered for in the £10 a go vehicle.

Steve

No discrimination - disabled or not you can't drive down a road that isn't there.

Not sure how disabled people will be catered for in the £10 a go vehicle.

Steve

Looking at it last week it's quite a climb for an able-bodied person, so I can't imagine how a wheelchair user could manage!

To be fair you cant expect a charity to keep on plunging thousands (millions?) of pounds into a road that's going to keep getting washed away, DDA Act or no.

Doesn't the DDA refer to "reasonable adjustments"? Naturally occurring changes to a landscape, that are proven historically to be even outside the power of an absolute monarch are surely excluded. You'd have to be King Cnut to think otherwise.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back