• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spurn YWT - road closed (1 Viewer)

To be fair you cant expect a charity to keep on plunging thousands (millions?) of pounds into a road that's going to keep getting washed away.

Yorkshire Wildlife Trust DO NOT pay for the upkeep and repair of the road,and I don't think they ever have done.
Repairs to the road in recent years have been financed by ABP.

I enjoy the walk down to the point, but I would only risk it if there was really nothing happening bird wise elsewhere around spurn as it's a long way back if something turns up.

Wonder if the road could be built like a causeway able to cope with being submerged regularly like the road to lindisfarne for example. Is this a cost issue or is the tide simply too violent at spurn?

Wonder if the road could be built like a causeway able to cope with being submerged regularly like the road to lindisfarne for example. Is this a cost issue or is the tide simply too violent at spurn?

The road has always been on top of the sand spit and the problem is that it gets undercut and collapses. Even the temporary roads they have laid over the past 20 years or so are still on sand.

What you suggest makes sense. If the sand all gets washed away then there is much more resilient boulder clay beneath it. A causeway could be built on that and the tides would go over it rather than under it. Might work, but how expensive would it be and how long before even the clay erodes? Thinking about causeways at Lindisfarne and Marazion it must be a possibility though.

Steve

On a related issue, what is happening to the plans to refurbish the lighthouse using the lottery funds. And for that matter what about the houses?

Spurn road closed.

On a related issue, what is happening to the plans to refurbish the lighthouse using the lottery funds. And for that matter what about the houses?

As far as i know the referb is going ahead,and the houses belong to the lifeboat (RNLI).Two are being used by the lifeboat crew.I have been reliably informed that the unimog has a no wet wheel policy,so no driving through water.Also the driving crew have been trained to opperate it,so thats good news.

The road has always been on top of the sand spit and the problem is that it gets undercut and collapses. Even the temporary roads they have laid over the past 20 years or so are still on sand.

What you suggest makes sense. If the sand all gets washed away then there is much more resilient boulder clay beneath it. A causeway could be built on that and the tides would go over it rather than under it. Might work, but how expensive would it be and how long before even the clay erodes? Thinking about causeways at Lindisfarne and Marazion it must be a possibility though.

Steve
Is it just me but I think Spurn is an ephemeral product of North Sea longshore drift. Which relocates every 50 years or so! It may be an inconvenience to all of us not having a road there atm but the sands will stabilise at some point of nature's choosing , for a few years , littorial areas exsit in a state of flux and to see how stable boulder clay is , look how much of Linconshires coast has been lost!
Let nature take its course - it will win in the end - and Spurn will still pull in the birds . even if it has moved 200yds west!|=)|

Fair point Dave. Anyone who has taken geography at school will have learned about longshore drift. It is an inevitable process. Most of Holderness ends up on the other side of the North Sea.

Any one seen the photos of the unimog stuck in the mud,its well and truly up to the axles in mud.Google spurn unimog stuck. So much for the no wet tyre policy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back