• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

There Can Be Only One! (2 Viewers)

Gianni,

If you prefer roofs, why do you have a photo of Ignazio Porro as your avatar??

Broccoli
Good question :)
In fact I prefer the porroprism binoculars, but there are two "problems":
1st Because the trend is roofs, the manufacturers invest their efforts on roofprism research only, so roofs quality grows constantly...
2nd Dialyt 7x42 are, imho, the best all-around binos, even almost 30 years after their release

Nevertheless, I'm waiting for an habicht 7x "wide"... I hope that Swarovski...

Last edited:
For dedicated birding, it'd be the SV 8.5x42, though in real life the closest I come to having to choose a single bin is when I pick one for travel, or to take along when doing multiple activities (birding, butterflying, photography, hiking) and these days it's always the Zeiss 8x32 FL that makes the cut on those occasions.

--AP

No, actually I am down to ONE pair of binoculars!(Oh, crap I forgot about the Zeiss 8x56 FL I just bought! Make that two.) I went to binoculars anonymous for 6 months and I am happy to say I haven't bought a pair of binoculars in two days so I am getting better! No, Brock I don't want an imaginary dream binocular but something you can buy off the shelf.(or at least order on the internet).

Dennis,

What happened to the 15x50 IS? Gone in 60 seconds? I thought you just bought one a couple weeks ago. Why didn't you like that model?

From Henry's thread about the 8x56 FL, which he called the "World's Best 8x42," it would seem that despite the overkill in aperture and exit pupil (at least for my eyes), it's worth the carrying the extra weight and paying the extra bucks. At least if you get a sample with two equally good sides and stop them down to 42mm.

Widest FOV in its class too. I'm sure you read his review, but in case others haven't, here's it is:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=81438

Your arms must look like Popeye's from pumping those 10x42 IS Ls, so you'll be in shape for the monster 8x56!

Okay, so I can't get a bin custom made to order like Bill, Oprah, and JK, I have to buy "off the shelf" like a plebeian (albeit a plebeian with deep pockets).

The only new "top gun" I've tried was the EDG and that sample had a loosey goosey focuser knob, which I didn't like, so I will have to go my current best "all arounder," the Nikon 8x30 EII. I should mention that I extended the barrels by almost 3" to accommodate my big mitts and now the views are rock steady.

Brock

To keep it Nikon, I once tried the Nikon LX 8x32 newer model. The view was exceptional and the FOV made it even better. It was great except that my fingers would jam/clam as the width of it is too wide so I have to bring the 2 barrels close to each other so they fit my eyes. If you eyes are set further apart then you may not have this problem and don't need to bring the barrels close in (which caused fingers jamming one against the other) You may be able to find a used LX Venturer for maybe $400 + or so. To me it was perfect except that my fingers were too close to each other.

I did try the original EDG 8x32 open bridge but just did not like them, the weight was way towards the back, did not balanced well and my fingers did not fit inside the barrels like they fit with the Swaro open bridge.

I really like the look, materials used, and specs of this binocular or the 11x44. I would probably like looking through it as well.

As far as only having one bin goes, I get too paranoid leaving something expensive around even at home.

Last edited:
Hi Dennis, I have a picture on here of what Brock is talking about.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=182988&d=1235266726

I wish you would "get into" spotting scopes so we find out what might be the best.;)

Swarovison for me, never looked through them, but I know I would love it.

Here is what happened to the Canon 15x50 IS's. In short I didn't like them:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2091706#post2091706
For the money that Nikon 8x30 EII is still the best value around. I am just trying to find ONE binocular that suits all my needs and I have to have waterproof. How did you extend the barrels on the EII by three inches? That thing is kind of a short binocular.

Hi Dennis, I have a picture on here of what Brock is talking about.
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=182988&d=1235266726

I wish you would "get into" spotting scopes so we find out what might be the best.;)

Swarovison for me, never looked through them, but I know I would love it.

Godforbid the spotting scopes! Ah Bushwackers. That would certainly make the EII's longer. Good idea. The Swarovision's are great but I would like to do a side by side with my Zeiss 8x56 FL. The Swarovision's would have better edge sharpness but I think the Zeiss would beat them in the center and in other areas because of the aperture advantage. The Zeiss 8x56 FL's center is like totally transparent and perfect neutral colors and no CA. Just a beautiful natural view with no aberrations. It is amazing what that big chunk of glass on the objective does for the view.

I think the 43oz 8x56 would just be a non-starter for me as an all-rounder. It weighs 15oz more than the 8.5 SV, which is already a chunk to carry (for me, anyway). And for travel? For hiking? For casual use? Forget it.

Dennis: having the big FL side by side with the SV would definitely be interesting. See if you can do it. I have no way of knowing, of course, but I suspect the SV holds its own. Henry said everything else looked a little "mushy" compared with the big FL. That's exactly how I feel about the SV.

Mark

I originally used the Bushwackers, but found I still got some shakes. My 501 8x32 SE came with dew/glare shields so I took them off the SE and am now using the Bushwachers (with the lids removed) as an adapter, and I added the extensions to the EII.

Looks a bit funky but it fits my hands well and provides a very steady view.

Here is what the 8x30 EII looks like now....

- The first photo is the 8x30 EII with the prosthetic limbs on.

- The second is the bin with one side disassembled so that you can see the components - the Bushwacker "adapter" and the dew shield.

- The third shows the height of the modified EII vs. the 8x32 SE. (it also shows why I have to worry about cat hairs getting sucked into the tubes)

CLICK on the photos to see a larger size.

Attachments

• EII Take 2 001.jpg
    EII Take 2 001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 112
  • EII Take 2 003.jpg
    EII Take 2 003.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 104
  • EII Take 2 005.jpg
    EII Take 2 005.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
I originally used the Bushwackers, but found I still got some shakes. My 501 8x32 SE came with dew/glare shields so I took them off the SE and am now using the Bushwachers (with the lids removed) as an adapter, and I added the extensions to the EII.

Looks a bit funky but it fits my hands well and provides a very steady view.

Here is what the 8x30 EII looks like now....

- The first photo is the 8x30 EII with the prosthetic limbs on.

- The second is the bin with one side disassembled so that you can see the components - the Bushwacker "adapter" and the dew shield.

- The third shows the height of the modified EII vs. the 8x32 SE. (it also shows why I have to worry about cat hairs getting sucked into the tubes)

CLICK on the photos to see a larger size.

Good job Brock. They look like they belong on their. I agree it kind of looks like a 10x35 EII. I am sure it reduces glare also. How are the 10x35 EII's working for you?

Last edited:
I think the 43oz 8x56 would just be a non-starter for me as an all-rounder. It weighs 15oz more than the 8.5 SV, which is already a chunk to carry (for me, anyway). And for travel? For hiking? For casual use? Forget it.

Dennis: having the big FL side by side with the SV would definitely be interesting. See if you can do it. I have no way of knowing, of course, but I suspect the SV holds its own. Henry said everything else looked a little "mushy" compared with the big FL. That's exactly how I feel about the SV.

Mark

Mushy is a good word to desribe ever other binocular compared to the Big Zeiss. I think the 56mm aperture might just be too much for the Swarovision to overcome. I will have to take my Zeiss 8x56 FL over to Sportsman's warehouse and do a comparison to the Swarovision. The Zeiss really is not much bigger than the 8x42 FL but it is heavier! Funny thing is though it is balanced so much better that it feels lighter than the Canon 10x42 L IS which is like a brick.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back