• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Opticron Spotting Scope. (1 Viewer)

robledo

Hello
I've just seen at Opticron website the video of a new spotting scope, the MM4 Travelscope. Does anybody know anything about its specs ?

Pablo

As said, no info on specs yet until Opticron release more info. They're due in Feb sometime and are set to retail at a similar price to the MM3. I believe the body is very similar but there are improvements optically, which given how good the MM3 is/was is quite exciting!

Some opportunities to see/experience this new MM4 scope today at Brockholes nature reserve (Lancashire Wildlife Trust, near Preston) today and then at Potteric Carr (YWT, near Doncaster) on Saturday 21st January. Gunna try and get to Potteric Saturday morning for a look.

As soon as I get my hands on the 50 and 60 (hopefully first couple weeks of February) I will post here along with comparisons (with pics) to the MM3 models.

As soon as I get my hands on the 50 and 60 (hopefully first couple weeks of February) I will post here along with comparisons (with pics) to the MM3 models.

Frank, I'm really looking forward to your review and thoughts...the comparison between the 50/60 is a biggie for me, I've already settled on waiting for the MM4 o:D

Thanks again

I really hope it's nitrogen purged because the MM3 wasn't.

According to the specs, that's not true...or could never have fog proof ;)

Design Features Waterproof
Optics are sealed with O-rings to prevent moisture, dust, and debris from getting inside the spotting scope.

Fog proof
Barrel is filled with nitrogen gas to inhibit internal fogging.

along with this:
Before buying the MM3 60 ED earlier this year, I contacted Opticron via email to ask whether it was waterproof as i needed to ensure that i wouldnt get fogging. They confirmed to me via email that it was waterproof and nitrogen filled: Heres a excerpt from their email:

'Dear +++

The MM3 series are nitrogen waterproof so you won’t have any problems of misting up. Just make sure to choose one of the HDF fixed magnification eyepieces or the 40936 SDLv2 zoom eyepiece to go with it.'

Last edited:
According to the specs, that's not true...or could never have fog proof ;)

Optics are sealed with O-rings to prevent moisture, dust, and debris from getting inside the spotting scope.

Fog proof
Barrel is filled with nitrogen gas to inhibit internal fogging.

along with this:

Unfortunately, it isn't. Here's an email reply from someone in their service dept (my mm3 60mm fogged-up).

"The MM3 is a well sealed scope, which is why we guarantee it as rainproof, but it’s not hermetically sealed or nitrogen filled, so air can move in and out of it.

You can greatly reduce the chance of it misting up by storing the scope in a dry place when not using it. Ideally with some silica gel, which helps to remove moisture from the vicinity ( I can post some of this out to you if you like). This won’t guarantee that it never happens again, but it does make it far less likely.

It can also be useful to every now and again, leave it overnight in an airing cupboard or similar extremely dry location."

Attachments

• Fogged.two MM3 60 (2) (4).jpg
    Fogged.two MM3 60 (2) (4).jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 242
Joe,
Interesting, the MM4 is also listed as nitrogen filled ?

"Nitrogen waterproof and fully rubber armoured to protect against knocks and bumps, the MM4 has a tripod adapter with +/- 90 degree rotation to ensure set-up in a hide or from a sitting/prone position is quick and easy, while the 8:1 dual focusing system ensures the finest accuracy at all magnifications."

Why would they continue to state that description if it isn't true ?...hmmm something to explore I think.

Joe,
Interesting, the MM4 is also listed as nitrogen filled ?

"Nitrogen waterproof and fully rubber armoured to protect against knocks and bumps, the MM4 has a tripod adapter with +/- 90 degree rotation to ensure set-up in a hide or from a sitting/prone position is quick and easy, while the 8:1 dual focusing system ensures the finest accuracy at all magnifications."

Why would they continue to state that description if it isn't true ?...hmmm something to explore I think.

I don't know what 'Nitrogen waterproof' means (marketing speak?).

I don't know what 'Nitrogen waterproof' means (marketing speak?).

It appears I'm confused also, maybe it just means "spray with nitrogen to waterproof" ? :king:

I'm about to buy the mm4 kit, so will have an answer prior to that...maybe someone will chime in with an official answer.

BTW:Appears this portion has been eliminated from the description

Last edited:
I am guessing that quote is a typo. I am sure Pete or Chris could chime in to clarify but am thinking it should read "Nitrogen-purged, waterproof" or "Nitrogen-filled, waterproof".

Just to clarify:

MM3 is weather-proof but is NOT nitrogen-filled and sealed so if it gets a proper soaking and is left with moisture on it, that can seep into the scope (as seen from the post by Joe.S above).

MM4 is very definitely nitrogen-filled and sealed so therefore waterproof and fog proof.

Sorry there has been confusion over this but hope the statements above clarify the situation.

This change plus an improvement in the optical system to deliver marginally better brightness and sharpness are the reasons for the small increase in SRP.

Stock should be with our UK dealers this weekend with US and European deliveries following shortly after.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

MM3 is weather-proof but is NOT nitrogen-filled and sealed so if it gets a proper soaking and is left with moisture on it, that can seep into the scope (as seen from the post by Joe.S above).

Stock should be with our UK dealers this weekend with US and European deliveries following shortly after.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

This statement would have been very good for marketing the scope when first released..i am sure all those that paid the ,lets say ,not cheap price,are quite happy knowing this at the time of the new release..

Last edited:
Just to clarify:

MM4 is very definitely nitrogen-filled and sealed so therefore waterproof and fog proof.

Sorry there has been confusion over this but hope the statements above clarify the situation.

This change plus an improvement in the optical system to deliver marginally better brightness and sharpness are the reasons for the small increase in SRP.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

My scope didn’t get a proper soaking. It was facing into the sun for a few minutes on a cold morning. When it happened I thought it was a no-brainer: 'the seal has gone and Opticron will replace it'. So, imagine my surprise to learn that it wasn’t a sealed and nitrogen-filled scope, then imagine my surprise that Opticron weren’t going to replace it but fix it.

It would like to sell it but I’m a good person and I wouldn’t hide the service history from a potential buyer- who would want to buy it? It’s depreciated down to a piddle and I’m the one that has taken the financial hit. The customer.

So, imagine my surprise to learn that it wasn’t a sealed and nitrogen-filled scope, then imagine my surprise that Opticron weren’t going to replace it but fix it.

Joe - have justed checked the service record for your scope. I don't know if the information was passed on to you but your scope body was modified to have a sealing hole, was filled with nitrogen and sealed.

Just to put this into some sort of perspective, of the thousands of MM3 scopes we have sold, only one (Joe's) has been returned as a result of fogging up or any other sort of moisture ingress.

HTH

Pete

Joe - have justed checked the service record for your scope. I don't know if the information was passed on to you but your scope body was modified to have a sealing hole, was filled with nitrogen and sealed.

Just to put this into some sort of perspective, of the thousands of MM3 scopes we have sold, only one (Joe's) has been returned as a result of fogging up or any other sort of moisture ingress.

HTH

Pete

Why put my service notes in the public domain? Seeing as you have already done so I will carry on with a reply: Yes, I was aware it had modifications. What do I tell a potential buyer? It has a hole somewhere and it’s been filled with nitrogen and sealed which ''hopefully will prevent future misting in the scope'' (to quote your engineer). I’m not sure this instils confidence in a future buyer and helps the resale value?

That’s good to hear that it was only my scope that fogged-up but it’s still no consolation for me that I was the ‘one’.

If it had known I was the only one I wouldn't have said anything. But, I'm not privy to that information and as far as I know there could be others in the same boat as myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back