• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CactusD's List 2011 (1 Viewer)

15th April, Lesvos Day 2

Today I was up bright and early for another visit to Metochi Lake, followed by a drive to the Kalloni saltpans via the Tsiknias River, plus a drive down to the race-track area past the saltworks, and a walk in the sheep fields area. The weather was (unusually!) sunny. After lunch, I went down to Achladeri Forest, and then back up to Kalloni for another trip around the saltpans and sheep fields. Altogether a highly productive day, including 6 lifers.

The Metochi Lake area (and the short drive there) produced the following birds today:
Yellow-legged Gull, Hooded Crow, Swallow, Swift, Moorhen, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Great Reed Warbler, Squacco Heron, Purple Heron, Cetti’s Warbler, Little Crake (3+), Kingfisher, House Sparrow, Corn Bunting, Crested Lark, Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Jay, Blue Tit, and Little Grebe.

Seeing the Crakes agile enough to clamber all the way up the Phragmites was very cool, as was seeing the stunning Squacco Heron in the beautiful dawn light.

The Tsiknias River area then produced the following:
Collared Dove, Common Tern, Greenshank, Little Egret, Yellow Wagtail, Green Sandpiper, Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Flamingo, Great White Egret, Little Bittern (1), Nightingale.

The Saltpans and flooded fields produced (just on a drive-by):
Wood Sandpiper, Black Stork (1), Avocet, Black-winged Stilt, Ruff, Little Stint (3+), Glossy Ibis, Ruddy Shelduck (2), Marsh Harrier, White Wagtail, Dunlin.

The Sheepfields / Alykes wetlands produced:
Alpine Swift, Stone Curlew (1), Common Shelduck, Northern Wheatear, plus 1 Common Curlew on the shore, and 3 Black-necked Grebes offshore in the gulf.

After lunch it was time to try my luck with Krüper’s Nuthatch. 2 were finally located at the well-known stump, though they were quite hard to find – and it subsequently turned out during the next couple of weeks that the birds had abandoned the stump they’d used for the last few years. On this visit I managed 2 sightings in 2.5 hours, with no photos, so I’d have to come back again and have another look.

Birds here were as follows:
Woodchat Shrike, Tree Pipit, Short-toed Eagle, Sparrowhawk, Chaffinch, Great Tit, Blackbird, Krüper’s Nuthatch (2), Chiffchaff, Long-legged Buzzard, Masked Shrike.

Late afternoon took me back to the Saltpans and associated wetlands. This time round I picked up:
Hoopoe (2), Cormorant, Hen Harrier (f), Gull-billed Tern, Short-toed Lark, Tawny Pipit, Common Kestrel, Curlew Sandpiper, Kentish Plover.

Day-list: 70, including 7 lifers.

Day 2 updates to the year list:

134. GREAT REED WARBLER
135. Squacco Heron
136. Common Kingfisher
137. Lesser Whitethroat
138. Green Sandpiper
139. Great White Egret
140. LITTLE BITTERN
141. Common Nightingale
142. Wood Sandpiper
143. BLACK STORK
144. Avocet
145. Little Stint
146. RUDDY SHELDUCK
147. Marsh Harrier
148. Alpine Swift
149. STONE CURLEW
150. Northern Wheatear
151. Black-necked Grebe
152. Woodchat Shrike
153. Tree Pipit
154. Short-toed Eagle
155. KRÜPER’S NUTHATCH
156. Masked Shrike
157. Hoopoe
158. Hen Harrier
159. GULL-BILLED TERN
160. Short-toed Lark
161. Tawny Pipit
162. Curlew Sandpiper
163. Kentish Plover

Some shots below

Attachments

• GlossyIbis1SA800.jpg
    GlossyIbis1SA800.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 159
  • SquaccoTakeoffM800.jpg
    SquaccoTakeoffM800.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 175
  • MaskedShrike1AC800.jpg
    MaskedShrike1AC800.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 239
  • GreatReedWarbler1M800.jpg
    GreatReedWarbler1M800.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 162
  • GWEgret1SA800.jpg
    GWEgret1SA800.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Some more shots of birds so far:

Attachments

• BWStilt1SA800.jpg
    BWStilt1SA800.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 126
  • CornBunting2ME800.jpg
    CornBunting2ME800.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 157
  • LittleStint1SA800.jpg
    LittleStint1SA800.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Yellow-leggedGull1TS800.jpg
    Yellow-leggedGull1TS800.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 116
  • WhiteStork1SK800.jpg
    WhiteStork1SK800.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
16th April, Lesvos Day 3

Day 3 was overcast and windy, but still produced some excellent birds.
The day started with a drive through Skala Kallonis to Metochi Lake again, followed by a trip north to Kavaki and Perasma reservoir to see what warblers I could pick up. Following that, a visit to the “Scops Copse” followed a brief stop at the Raptor Watch Point. Later, I visted the Salt Pans, Parakila chapel for buntings, and finally Achladeri Forest again for shots of Krüper’s Nuthatch. Quite a lot of driving!

The drive around Skala to Metochi lake produced the following:
Collared Dove, House Sparrow, Hooded Crow, Cetti’s Warbler, Corn Bunting, Barn Swallow, Yellow-legged Gull, Black-headed Gull, House Martin, Greenfinch, Mediterranean Gull, Crested Lark, Greater Flamingo, Little Egret (the latter two on the Christou River as I drove past).

Metochi Lake produced:
Common Swift, Little Grebe, Moorhen, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Common Redstart (heard as I was driving along the track), Squacco Heron, Great Reed Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Little Crake, and Little Bittern.

The Perasma Reservoir area produced the following:
Eastern Orphean Warbler, Blue Tit, Sand Martin, Coot, Blackbird, Grey Heron, Common Cuckoo (1x rufous female, 1x male), Red-rumped Swallow, Chaffinch, Masked Shrike, Subalpine Warbler, Nightingale, Yellow Wagtail, Hoopoe, Lesser Whitethroat, Sombre Tit, Blackcap, Black-eared Wheatear, and Yellow-legged Gull.

My first visit to Kavaki produced the following, in the oak and almond trees up the track on the right at the second layby (no Rüppell’s as yet, too windy/too early perhaps?):
Collared Flycatcher (x2), Jay, Wood Warbler (x2), Lesser Whitethroat.

At the Raptor Watchpoint I came up with:
Short-toed Eagle, Sombre Tit, Western Rock Nuthatch, Common Buzzard, Long-legged Buzzard, Blue Rock Thrush.

The Scops Copse came up trumps with a cracking Scops on a relatively uncluttered perch:
1x Scops Owl.

Back at the Saltpans:
Avocet, Black-winged Stilt, Ruff, Great White Egret, Wood Sandpiper, Ruddy Shelduck (±35), Glossy Ibis

Parakila Chapel produced the following:
Cretzschmar’s Bunting, Western Rock Nuthatch, Black-eared Wheatear, Eastern Orphean Warbler, Cinereous Bunting (quite a few heard calling, but I didn’t see any here without a scope), Goldfinch, Alpine Swift, Cirl Bunting (x1), Ortolan Bunting (x1), Blue Tit, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Corn Bunting, Stonechat (x1), Whinchat (x1).

At Achladeri Forest I searched for an hour-and-a-half for the Nuthatch, and finally tracked one down in the pines near the car-parking area, for some photos. No sign of the birds using the stump on this occasion. Also: Masked Shrike, Cirl Bunting.

A bonus in the evening on my walk into Skala for dinner:
1x Long-eared Owl perched in pines and then seen quartering fields, just after 8pm.

Day-list: 66+3 heard, 2 lifers

Day 3 updates to the year list:

164. MEDITERRANEAN GULL
[Common Redstart H]
165. EASTERN ORPHEAN WARBLER
166. Common Cuckoo
167. Subalpine Warbler
168. Sombre Tit
169. Collared Flycatcher
170. Wood Warbler
171. Western Rock Nuthatch
172. Blue Rock Thrush
173. Scops Owl
174. Cretzschmar’s Bunting
[Cinereous Bunting H]
175. Cirl Bunting
176. Ortolan Bunting
177. Stonechat
178. Whinchat
179. Long-eared Owl

Some pics from the day below:

Attachments

• CommonCuckoofPR1800.jpg
    CommonCuckoofPR1800.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 173
  • WoodWarbler1KA800.jpg
    WoodWarbler1KA800.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 180
  • ScopsOwl1800.jpg
    ScopsOwl1800.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 228
  • KrüpersNuthatch2AC800.jpg
    KrüpersNuthatch2AC800.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
17th April, Lesvos Day 4

Day 4 was again overcast, with also quite a bit of rain, but today I decided on my first visit to the west of the island, on the hunt for some passage migrants and more resident species. This was one of the best days of my trip despite the weather, partly because of some good (or lucky) choices on where to stop during rain showers.

On this occasion I chose to drive west via Eresos and the track to Sigri. I can’t say that this was much fun driving solo, since the track was very rocky and I had little option but to keep watching the road and looking out for farmers’ trucks and sheep :eek!:. So more Cinereous Buntings heard, but none seen as yet!
However, this route allowed me to visit the Meladia Valley area first before heading to Sigri for lunch, and this was an excellent decision!
After lunch I visited the Faneromeni area, with some more fabulous birds, before heading back to Skala along the more usual route via Ipsilou.

The drive down to Meladia valley via Eresos from Skala produced the following today:

Yellow-legged Gull, Great Tit, Blackbird, Hooded Crow, House Sparrow, Crested Lark, Corn Bunting, Black-eared Wheatear, Cretzschmar’s Bunting, (Cinereous Bunting H).

Once arrived at Meladia Valley, I then walked down to the river mouth after a very brief stop at the ford (where I picked up Moorhen and Little Grebe).
The walk down to the river mouth through the scrub and sheep-fields came up with:
Stonechat, Cetti’s Warbler, Nightingale, Purple Heron (x4), [Common Quail H], Rock Dove, Barn Swallow, House Martin, Common Kestrel, Eastern Orphean Warbler, Squacco Heron (x2), Greenshank, Hoopoe, Grey Heron, Reed Warbler, Raven, Peregrine Falcon, Crag Martin, Mallard, Alpine Swift, Common Swift, Linnet, Red-rumped Swallow, Sombre Tit, Whinchat (x6).
The Fig Grove area then produced:
Woodchat Shrike (x2), Long-legged Buzzard, Common Buzzard, Collared Flycatcher, Blackcap, Common Redstart (1x m), Marsh Harrier, Goldfinch, Spanish Sparrow, [Chukar H].

After this, the rain set in, and I parked up by the cypress trees at the Meladia Valley Chapel, to sit it out for an hour or so. Here I picked up new birds for the day in the form of:
Firecrest (x1: a fantastic bird for me to find as both a lifer for me and a first record for Lesvos in four years :t::t:), Common Whitethroat, Pied Flycatcher.

The track back along to Sigri picked up:
Little Owl (perched on a post at the shepherd’s sheds), and Linnet.

After lunch, I then headed north from Sigri for a first visit to the Sigri fields and Faneromeni. Sigri beach and fields produced the following:

Hoopoe, Squacco Heron, Woodchat Shrike, Lesser Whitethroat, Collared Flycatcher (loads: at least x6 seen by me driving along), Yellow-legged Gull, Lesser Kestrel, Common Kestrel, Red-footed Falcon (1x f in a large mixed flock of mostly Lesser Kestrels).

The road down to Faneromeni beach produced more Whinchats (x4+), 1x Purple Heron, and another star bird for the trip in the shape of one super Spur-winged Plover, a bird I've only seen very poorly once before in Cyprus.

At the beach I met a small group of Dutch birders looking at Shearwaters coming in quite close to shore in the dodgy weather: hence Scopoli’s Shearwater, Yelkouan Shearwater.

The Faneromeni Fords during my stay produced rather little in themselves, but the lanes up to both always came up with the goods in one way or another.

Faneromeni Lower Ford today:
White Wagtail, Moorhen, Woodchat Shrike, Little Egret.

Upper Ford: Squacco Heron.

Drive to Upper Ford: produced perhaps the most unforgettable birding experience of my entire trip. As I was stopped by the side of the road (probably scrouring the fig trees for passerines), I glimpsed a ring-tail Harrier over the trees in the distance. I duly got the camera onto it and took some shots. The Harrier then came closer and closer, eventually passing along the road right by my car at no more than 20 feet!! Absolutely amazing. A shot of this incredible female Pallid Harrier below (handheld from the car at 300mm only). :D

To finish off the day, a rainy journey back to Skala via Ipsilou produced another female Red-footed Falcon perched by the road, a couple of Chukar crossing the road in front of me, and a Short-toed Eagle.

Day-list: 62+2 heard, 4 lifers

Day 4 updates to the year-list:

[COMMON QUAIL H]
180. Crag Martin
181. Common Redstart
182. FIRECREST
183. Pied Flycatcher
184. RED-FOOTED FALCON
185. Spur-winged Plover
186. SCOPOLI’S SHEARWATER
187. Yelkouan Shearwater
188. Pallid Harrier
189. Chukar

Some pics from the day below; sadly poor shots of the Firecrest, but at least I have some!

Attachments

• FirecrestME1800.jpg
    FirecrestME1800.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 229
  • LittleOwl1ME800.jpg
    LittleOwl1ME800.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Spur-wingedPlover1SI800.jpg
    Spur-wingedPlover1SI800.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 189
  • PallidHarrierf1SI800.jpg
    PallidHarrierf1SI800.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 214
  • CollaredFlycatcher1SI800.jpg
    CollaredFlycatcher1SI800.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
18th April, Lesvos Day 5

Again overcast; I chose to stay local to the Kalloni area today. An early-morning walk down to the Kalloni pool was followed by a drive up the Tsiknias river to the Saltpans area. In the afternoon I made a first visit to Potamia valley.

The walk to the Kalloni pool produced the following:
Collared Dove, House Sparrow, Corn Bunting, Cetti’s Warbler, Barn Swallow, Hooded Crow, Yellow-legged Gull, Great Tit, Long-eared Owl (perched in the pines north of the bakery with the steps, as before), Goldfinch, Blue Tit, Little Egret, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Sedge Warbler, Crested Lark, Yellow Wagtail, White Stork, Wood Sandpiper, Tree Pipit (x2), Red-rumped Swallow, Moorhen, Coot, Little Grebe, Sand Martin, Great White Egret, Greater Flamingo, Common Snipe (x1), Black-winged Stilt (x2), Common Swift, Reed Warbler, Whinchat (x7! Incredible numbers of this species seen during my stay)

The Tsiknias river area then produced:
Nightingale, Whinchat (3 more), Collared Pratincole (x1), Pallid Swift, Glossy Ibis, Greater Flamingo, Black Stork (x1), Little Ringed Plover, Short-toed Eagle, Collared Flycatcher.

The Saltpans West Channel then produced:
More Stilts, Avocet, Wood Sandpiper, Ruff, Marsh Harrier, more Whinchat (3+), Montagu’s Harrier (x1, probably a first-summer male), and White Wagtail.

The Sheepfields area produced, in addition to more Whinchats, the following:
Short-toed Lark (a flock of about 15), Kentish Plover, Little Stint, Red-throated Pipit (x4), Common Shelduck, Black-necked Grebe (x2 on the gulf), Great Crested Grebe (x2 on the gulf), more Glossy Ibis, Cormorant.

The top end of the Saltpans then had:
Ruddy Shelduck, Grey Heron, Purple Heron, Marsh Sandpiper (my best-ever views).

In the afternoon, in the Potamia valley I had:
Black-eared Wheatear, Raven, Cirl Bunting (x1), Common Buzzard, Spotted Flycatcher, Pied Flycatcher, Collared Flycatcher (at least 5), Blackbird, Red-rumped Swallow, Barn Swallow, Sand Martin, Jay, Common Whitethroat, Woodchat Shrike (2), Whinchat, Spanish Sparrow, and Lesser Kestrel. On reviewing my photos, no clear-cut case of Semi-collared Flycatcher; I wasn’t interested in stringing any(!), and in fact don’t have this on my list for the fortnight. Evidence of recent Middle Spotted Woodpecker activity in the olive-groves, but none seen today: so far, by all accounts, quite elusive this year.

Late afternoon saw me back along the Tsiknias river, where I had a single Black Tern at the watchpoint overlooking the river mouth – my first views of this species in full summer plumage.

Another evening walk into Skala for dinner produced the Long-eared Owl again, perched in the same place as before.

Day-list: 70, 3 lifers

Day 5 updates to the year-list:

190. COLLARED PRATINCOLE
191. Pallid Swift
192. MONTAGU’S HARRIER
193. RED-THROATED PIPIT
194. Marsh Sandpiper
195. Spotted Flycatcher
196. Black Tern

Attachments

• Montagu'sHarrier1SA800.jpg
    Montagu'sHarrier1SA800.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 223
  • Montagu'sHarrierflight1SA800.jpg
    Montagu'sHarrierflight1SA800.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 253
  • RTPipit2SA800.jpg
    RTPipit2SA800.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Short-toedLark1SA800.jpg
    Short-toedLark1SA800.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 161
  • BlackTern1TSFS.jpg
    BlackTern1TSFS.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
19th April, Lesvos Day 6

Weather was once again overcast with some rain in the morning, though it was sunny in the afternoon. Today, another visit to the Tsiknias river was followed by a relatively brief visit to the Napi Valley area (a failed attempt to find some woodpeckers!), then the Potamia valley (ditto!), Metochi Lake, and another drive down the Tskinias river. This was a relatively quite day (probably the quietest of my stay) but still produced some interesting birds.

The Tsiknias river drive produced the following:
Collared Dove, House Sparrow, Grey Heron, Corn Bunting, Yellow-legged Gull, White Stork, Cetti’s Warbler, Hooded Crow, Barn Swallow, Red-rumped Swallow, Crested Lark, Whinchat (at least 4 on this occasion), Common Tern, Yellow Wagtail, Greek Sandpiper, Sand Martin, Little Ringed Plover (x4), Black-winged Stilt, Sandwich Tern (x3), Greater Flamingo, Little Egret, Wood Sandpiper, Squacco Heron (x5), Common Sandpiper, Sedge Warbler, Blackbird, Goldfinch

Napi Valley (site 1 in Steve Dudley’s Book) produced:
Chaffinch, Nightingale, Woodchat Shrike, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Sombre Tit, Raven, (Cirl Bunting H), Collared Flycatcher, Pied Flycatcher, (Hoopoe H).

Koriani (1st lay bay going north-south) didn’t produce a great deal, just: Blackbird, Whinchat, Greenfinch, Common Buzzard, Collared Dove, Crested Lark.

However, another layby stop north of Napi produced a stunning encounter with a female Red-footed Falcon perched on and flying between telegraph wires: pic below. Nice bird! :t::t:

A lunchtime visit to the Potamia Valley then produced:
Spotted Flycatcher, Collared Flycatcher, Grey Heron, Black Stork, Pied Flycatcher, Subalpine Warbler.

Metochi Lake (including a walk up to the rocky hillside area behind) then produced:
Lesser Whitethroat, Common Whitethroat, Little Grebe, Moorhen, Short-toed Eagle, Goshawk (x1, being mobbed by a Hooded Crow), Purple Heron, Common Swift, Little Crake (at least 2), Western Rock Nuthatch, Jay, Grey Heron, Reed Warbler.

The evening drive down the Tsiknias produced, in addition:
Ringed Plover, Long-legged Buzzard.

In the evening I then heard two Scops Owls calling north of Skala, and saw the Barn Owl departing from its nest in the jewellery-shop chimney in the centre of Skala (a Barn Owl at long last!! :eek!: Odd things like this happen if you've only been birding 'properly'(ish) for 4 years:-O)

Day-list: 58+3 heard, 1 lifer

Day 6 updates to the year-list:

197. Common Sandpiper
198. Goshawk
199. BARN OWL

Attachments

• RFFalconf2NV800.jpg
    RFFalconf2NV800.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 172
  • WRockNuthatch1M800.jpg
    WRockNuthatch1M800.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 151
  • RRSwallowsSK1000.jpg
    RRSwallowsSK1000.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 185
  • GoshawkM.jpg
    GoshawkM.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Many thanks for the new 5-star vote!

20th April, Lesvos Day 7

Again the weather today was cloudy, with some heavy rain showers. Unperturbed, however, I decided on another visit out to Sigri to build on the excellent birds to be had on day 4. I wasn’t to be disappointed!

Before making the journey, I took a walk to the bakery in Skala harbour and a walk around the Kalloni Pool.

Here I picked up the following:
House Sparrow, Yellow-legged Gull, Collared Dove, Hooded Crow, Cetti’s Warbler, Greenfinch, Corn Bunting, Chaffinch, Barn Swallow, House Martin, White Pelican (ok, so I ticked the one-legged bird sitting in the harbour! My only semi-plastic aberration for the entire trip, promise!:-O), Great White Egret, Collared Flycatcher (x3!), Common Tern, Moorhen, Coot, Slender-billed Gull, Great Reed Warbler, Little Grebe, Nightingale, Sand Martin, Sedge Warbler, Crested Lark, Whinchat.

The drive out west produced:
Jay (x5), Blackbird, Black-eared Wheatear, Chukar (x1).

Sigri Fields:
Common Sandpiper, Black-headed Gull, Little Egret, Yellow Wagtail, Ruddy Shelduck (x3), Glossy Ibis (x4), Squacco Heron (x4), Whinchat

The road to Faneromeni Beach:
Spotted Flycatcher, Collared Flycatcher, Purple Heron (x4), Whinchat (x2)

Faneromeni Lower Ford:
Common Sandpiper (x2), Moorhen

Sigri Beach, on way to Meladia Valley:
Woodchat Shrike, White Wagtail

Track to Meladia Valley:
Goldfinch, Black-eared Wheatear, Stonechat

Meladia Valley Chapel (stop in car during increasingly heavy rain, mid-morning until lunchtime):
Grey Heron (x6), Purple Heron (x2), Great White Egret, Sedge Warbler, Firecrest (x1 still), Barred Warbler (an unfortunately much too fleeting view of an absolutely superb bird: a pale, beautifully soft-barred female with a yellow eye, making it look like a miniature Cuckoo), (Nightingale H), Common Whitethroat, Cretzschmar’s Bunting, Hen Harrier (f), Eastern Orphean Warbler, Woodchat Shrike, Subalpine Warbler, Wood Warbler

Meladia Fig Grove:
Not a lot: Common Buzzard and a Pied Flycatcher

After lunch, a trip back to Sigri and Faneromeni:

Sigri Fields:
2x Citrine Wagtail, Stonechat, Whinchat (x5)

Road to Faneromeni Lower Ford:
Hoopoe (x2), Common Redstart (1x m), Great Reed Warbler, Blackcap

Don’t appear to have visited Upper Ford this day, not sure why not!

Back to Sigri Fields (large field by estuary):
31x Little Egret, Great Bittern (cool find, spent some time hiding in Asphodels at back of the field), Spotted Crake (x1 flushed from thick grass just on other side of fence when shutting boot of car! My only sighting during my stay, though I saw someone’s photo of one at Metochi Lake), Lesser Kestrel (x2), Common Swift.

Then made my way back to Kalloni, and made another visit to the Tsiknias River and Saltpans late in the afternoon (watery sunshine). Here I picked up:

Whinchat (x3), Greater Flamingo, Little Stint, Little Ringed Plover, Common Tern

Track to Saltpans across ford:
Whinchat (x4), Green Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper (x3), Spanish Sparrow (small flock), Ruff (40+), Glossy Ibis (40+)

Sheepfields area:
(Stone Curlew H: missed seeing the bird in flight by a couple of mins), Great Crested Grebe (2x on gulf still), Northern Wheatear (x2), Short-toed Lark (±10), Black Stork

Drive back up Saltpans:
Gull-billed Tern (x23), Little Tern (x1 in with the Gull-billed sitting on a sand-spit), Avocet, Common Shelduck, Black-winged Stilt, Greenshank, Ruddy Shelduck (12+), Glossy Ibis (40+), Black-tailed Godwit (25+)

Walk into and back from Skala for dinner in the evening, produced, finally:
Great Tit, Barn Owl (viewed as before).

A spectacular day’s birding despite the weather:

Day-list: 81+1 heard, 4 lifers

Day 7 updates to the year-list:

200. WHITE PELICAN (!)
201. Slender-billed Gull
202. CITRINE WAGTAIL
203. BARRED WARBLER
204. Great Bittern
205. LITTLE TERN

Some pics below:

Attachments

• Cretzschmar'sBunting1ME800.jpg
    Cretzschmar'sBunting1ME800.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 167
  • EOrpheanWarbler1ME800.jpg
    EOrpheanWarbler1ME800.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 178
  • SquaccoHeron1SI800.jpg
    SquaccoHeron1SI800.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 122
  • GreatBittern1SI800.jpg
    GreatBittern1SI800.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 182
  • Gull-BilledTernsSA1000.jpg
    Gull-BilledTernsSA1000.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
21st April, Lesvos Day 8

The weather today was sunny but windy; I decided on another trip out to Sigri, after a morning visit to Metochi Lake, and to the small reservoir nearby (following a tip for Night Heron, a species very thin on the ground as per records so far). A stop-off at Ipsilou was rather brief since the wind was rocking the car as I stopped :eek!: (I did, however, take a walk up the road on the south side to see what was about). Did pick up some good birds today, but in general the wind was rather unhelpful.

The trip to Metochi Lake area:
House Sparrow, Collared Dove, Greenfinch, Barn Swallow, Yellow-legged Gull, Cetti’s Warbler, Moorhen, Little Grebe, Little Crake (4+), Red-rumped Swallow, (Savi’s Warbler H), Sand Martin, Jay, House Martin, Great Tit, Sedge Warbler, Black-crowned Night Heron (x1: the tip paid off |:d| ), Whinchat

The stop at Ipsilou:
Collared Flycatcher (at least 5), Pied Flycatcher, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Chaffinch, Blackbird, Black-eared Wheatear, Northern Wheatear, (Chukar H), Raven, Cinereous Bunting x1 (finally)

The track from Sigri to Meladia Valley:
Crested Lark, Corn Bunting, Collared Flycatcher, Whinchat, Yellow Wagtail, Collared Pratincole (x1, wandering along the track in the middle of nowhere?! A ridiculous pic below taken from the car window ! ), Woodchat Shrike, Common Swift

Meladia Valley Chapel:
Goldfinch, Marsh Harrier, Purple Heron (x2), Whinchat (lots and lots!), Cretzschmar’s Bunting, Sedge Warbler, Great Tit, Common Buzzard, Woodchat Shrike, Common Whitethroat. Too windy for a prolonged look-out for skulkers that remained stubbornly skulking, so back to Sigri.

Track back:
Woodlark, Peregrine Falcon, Tawny Pipit, Linnet (x4), Northern Wheatear (x3), Chukar, Lesser Kestrel

Sigri beach (inc. trees):
(Eastern Orphean Warbler H), Collared Flycatcher, Little Egret, White Wagtail, Common Buzzard

Sigri Fields (big estuary field):
Pied Flycatcher, Little Egret, Squacco Heron, Whinchat

Road to Faneromeni beach:
Rock Dove (x5), Woodchat Shrike, Turtle Dove (x2), Ruddy Shelduck

Road to Lower Ford:
Spotted Flycatcher, Woodchat Shrike (x3), Turtle Dove (x2), Great Reed Warbler, Collared Flycatcher (x3), Purple Heron, Common Redstart, White Wagtail (2).

Road to Upper Ford:
Pied Flycatcher, Turtle Dove (x3), Spanish Sparrow, Masked Shrike, Nightingale, Common Buzzard, Short-toed Eagle

As before, neither ford held very much: perhaps, in part, due to the high water levels, and, in part, to the large number of farm vehicles and sheep passing to and fro.

Back to Sigri Fields:
Squacco Heron (x3), Little Ringed Plover (x3), Ruff (x7), Red-throated Pipit.

Drive back to Skala via Eresos:
Stonechat (x2), Purple Heron, Common Kestrel, Short-toed Eagle, Northern Wheatear (3+)

Another visit to the “Metochi Reservoir” (helped that I had a Google Earth printout for the Metochi area to find this; I took a few Google Earth satellite printouts with me, though by far the most useful were for the Metochi Lake area and the Sigri/Faneromeni area, for which the other published maps can be a little misleading):
Moorhen, Little Grebe (x4), Hoopoe, Night Heron, Little Crake, (Savi’s Warbler H: was unfortunate not to actually see one, though I did do a couple of stake-outs! Also, an iPod in my fleece pocket with the Roche Birdsong CDs on it was a useful tool to have with me), Marsh Harrier, Purple Heron (2), Hooded Crow, Reed Warbler.

Finally, the drive back to Skala past the Christou River estuary picked up:
Wood Sandpiper (2), Kentish Plover (2)

Day-list: 68+2 heard, 2 lifers (including the Savi’s heard)

Day 8 updates to the year-list:

206. BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON
[SAVI’S WARBLER H]
207. Cinereous Bunting
208. Woodlark
209. Turtle Dove

Not a great day for pics, but one or two below (with apologies for the dreadful light on the Night Heron)

Attachments

• BCNightHeronMR1800.jpg
    BCNightHeronMR1800.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 142
  • BarnSwallow1M800.jpg
    BarnSwallow1M800.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 94
  • CPratincoleME1800.jpg
    CPratincoleME1800.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 147
  • TawnyPipit1MEsmall.jpg
    TawnyPipit1MEsmall.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 175
  • TurtleDove1SI700.jpg
    TurtleDove1SI700.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
22nd April, Lesvos Day 9

Today was a bit of a mixed bag: I decided to try out some sites I hadn’t yet visited, partly on the search for a Middle Spotted Woodpecker, and partly to try some of the areas to the East of Kalloni. Neither turned out to be hugely successful, but I still came up with some good birds for the day. The weather was, again, sunny but windy.

An early morning visit to the Kalloni pool:
(Cetti’s Warbler H), Collared Dove, House Sparrow, Barn Swallow, House Martin, Moorhen, Marsh Harrier, Yellow Wagtail, Common Sandpiper, Sedge Warbler, Sand Martin, Common Shelduck (3 over), Black Stork (over), Hooded Crow, Great Reed Warbler, Yellow-legged Gull, Common Tern, Goldfinch, Crested Lark

Drive past the Kalloni Saltpans:
Red-footed Falcon (1 f perched on wires), Common Tern (2), Black-winged Stilt, Avocet, Greater Flamingo, Little Egret, Glossy Ibis (±50), Great White Egret, Common Buzzard, Common Swift, Black-eared Wheatear

Visit to Dimitrios Chapel and track (for Middle Spotted Woodpecker): nest-holes visible in poplar tree, but no sign of any Woodpeckers! However, a walk along the track along the river produced:
Wren (1 heard! only one for the trip), Eastern Olivaceous Warbler, Wood Warbler

I then took a drive back down to the coast to check out the Polychnitos Saltpans area. Not a great deal to report unfortunately!

Alikoudi Pool:
Greater Flamingo, Avocet, Yellow-legged Gull

Road to Polychnitos Saltpans (nothing at all seen at the Saltpans!):
Pied Flycatcher, Whinchat (4+), Corn Bunting, Purple Heron

Drive back to Achladeri:

Skala Vasilikon pool:
Wood Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper

Beach road to Achladeri:
Common Sandpiper, Northern Wheatear

Another visit to Achladeri Forest (such a nice piece of habitat, who wouldn’t want to go back?):

Tree Pipit (3), Pied Flycatcher (3+), Short-toed Treecreeper, Spotted Flycatcher, Long-legged Buzzard

Also some good views of Balkan Wall Lizard

Mesa Wetlands:
Grey Heron (5), Great White Egret (2), Ruddy Shelduck

Then decided to take a drive to the Dipi Larisos Reedbed:
Not much doing here either, but: found a Zitting Cisticola – to provide further evidence that they’re back on the island (or perhaps they never went away??); also Hoopoe, Reed Warbler, Coot, Lesser Whitethroat, (Little Grebe H).

Then back to the Kalloni Saltpans area:
Ruff (4), Wood Sandpiper (2), Marsh Harrier, Gull-billed Tern (3)

Tskinias River mouth:
Squacco Heron, Little Ringed Plover, Montagu’s Harrier (1 f), Purple Heron.

And finally… a trip back up to the Potamia valley:
Cirl Bunting (2), Black-eared Wheatear, Woodchat Shrike (3+), Blue Tit, Red-rumped Swallow, Whinchat, Jay, Collared Flycatcher (3+), Common Whitethroat (2)

Potamia Reservoir:
Common Sandpiper (4)

Day-list: 64+3 heard

Day 9 updates to the year-list:

210. Eastern Olivaceous Warbler
211. Short-toed Treecreeper
212. Zitting Cisticola

More pics below:

Attachments

• Whinchat1SA800.jpg
    Whinchat1SA800.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 141
  • TreePipit1AC800.jpg
    TreePipit1AC800.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 129
  • PurpleHeron1ME800.jpg
    PurpleHeron1ME800.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 126
  • WoodSandpiper1SA800.jpg
    WoodSandpiper1SA800.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 105
  • LLBuzzard1AC800.jpg
    LLBuzzard1AC800.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Many apologies for my total lack of activity in the last couple of months: work has been very busy and domestic life is also increasingly time-consuming. Anyway, hopefully I’ll be able to finally finish off this list, with more updates from Lesvos. Thanks for being patient.

23rd April, Lesvos Day 10

This day was again excellent, wish sunshine though some wind. Another trip out to Sigri produced some more great birds, some more lifers, and some more/better shots of birds I’d already had.

Road to Ipsilou:
Collared Dove, House Sparrow, (Cetti’s Warbler H), (Nightingale H), House Martin, Sand Martin, Barn Swallow, Yellow-legged Gull, Common Tern

Sigri and Faneromeni fields:
Blackbird, Spanish Sparrow (100+ flock), Goldfinch, Crested Lark, Corn Bunting, Ruff, Little Egret, Squacco Heron (2), Yellow Wagtail, Blackcap (3), Lesser Whitethroat (x2), Collared Flycatcher (4), Little Ringed Plover (3), Common Sandpiper (2), Grey Heron, Black-winged Stilt

Faneromeni track to beach:
Whinchat (6), Woodchat Shrike (3), Rock Dove (5), Turtle Dove (5), Common Whitethroat, Starling, Whinchat (2), Hoopoe, Lesser Kestrel

Track to Lower Ford:
Spotted Flycatcher, Nightingale, Golden Oriole, Purple Heron

Lower Ford:
Common Sandpiper (2), Green Sandpiper, White Wagtail, Moorhen

Road to Upper Ford:
Little Bittern (2 in very small pond on right hand side half way along to ford), Hooded Crow, Whinchat, Blackcap (3), Woodchat Shrike (2), Reed Warbler

Upper Ford:
Wood Sandpiper, Collared Flycatcher, Whinchat (2)

Then back via Sigri to Meladia valley:

Track along:
Whinchat (8), Collared Flycatcher, (Woodlark H), Black-eared Wheatear, Linnet (5), Lesser Kestrel (2), Short-toed Eagle, Raven (2), Woodchat Shrike

Meladia Chapel:
Goldfinch, Marsh Harrier (1x male), Pied Flycatcher, Grey Heron, Hen Harrier (2x female), Collared Flycatcher, Blackcap, Spotted Flycatcher

Fig grove:
Reed Warbler (2), Sedge Warbler, Woodchat Shrike, Blackcap, Common Buzzard, Rock Dove (3)

Meladia Chapel again:
Ortolan Bunting (2), Rufous Bush Robin, Common Swift

Track back to Sigri:
Cretzschmar’s Bunting, (Stonechat H)

Sigri fields again:
Purple Heron (2)

Road to Upper Ford:
Spotted Flycatcher

Lower Ford:
Little Ringed Plover, Wood Sandpiper

Lower Ford Road:
Common Redstart (1x female), Hoopoe

Road back to Skala:
Raven (5), Long-legged Buzzard (2), Jay

Later afternoon visits to the local river areas:

Upper Tsiknias River:
(Turtle Dove H), Chaffinch, Wood Sandpiper (3), Little Ringed Plover

Madaros (not much doing):
Whinchat, Red-rumped Swallow, Black-eared Wheatear, Black Stork, Pied Flycatcher

North-West Saltpans area, inc. pools on north side of main road:
Red-footed Falcon (1x female), Black-winged Stilt, Greater Flamingo, Citrine Wagtail (2x male), Black-tailed Godwit (2), Little Ringed Plover (3), Ruff (±25)

Kalloni Pool area:
Coot, Greenfinch

Christou River:
Stone Curlew, Greenshank (2), Black Stork (3)

Day-list: 70+3 heard

Day 10 updates to the year-list:

213. GOLDEN ORIOLE
214. RUFOUS BUSH ROBIN

Some pics below:

Attachments

• LittleBittern1SI800.jpg
    LittleBittern1SI800.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 101
  • CitrineWagtail1SA800.jpg
    CitrineWagtail1SA800.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 141
  • GoldenOriole1SI800.jpg
    GoldenOriole1SI800.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 191
  • StoneCurlew1CH800.jpg
    StoneCurlew1CH800.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 132
  • BlackStork1TS800.jpg
    BlackStork1TS800.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
24th April, Lesvos Day 11

After much careering around the island over the last few days, I decided to stay relatively more local to the Kalloni area today. Weather was sunny, but still pretty breezy. Some nice finds today around the Saltpans as some new migrants increased in numbers.

Around Skala Kalloni:
Barn Swallow, House Sparrow, Yellow-legged Gull, Collared Dove, Sedge Warbler, Red-rumped Swallow, Mediterranean Gull, House Martin, Common Tern, Great White Egret, Sand Martin, (Savi’s Warbler H), (Cetti’s Warbler H), Corn Bunting, Hooded Crow, Moorhen, Yellow Wagtail, Goldfinch, Meadow Pipit, Crested Lark, Wood Sandpiper, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Greenfinch

Walk down East Saltpans Track:
Whiskered Tern (3), Greater Flamingo, Little Egret, Glossy Ibis, Black-winged Stilt, Avocet, Great Spotted Cuckoo (1 first summer: fleeting views, but lovely bird!), Ruddy Shelduck (2), Common Swift, Pallid Swift, Black Stork, Wood Sandpiper, Marsh Harrier, Slender-billed Gull

North-West Saltpans area:
White-winged Black Tern (2)

Kavaki:
Blackbird, Rüppell’s Warbler, Black-eared Wheatear, Subalpine Warbler, Crag Martin, Blue Rock Thrush, Linnet (2)

Perasma Reservoir:
Subalpine Warbler, Alpine Swift, Nightingale, Hoopoe, Collared Flycatcher, Whinchat (3+), Woodchat Shrike

Raptor Watchpoint (brief stop):
Collared Flycatcher, (Cretzschmar’s Bunting H)

Drive to Achladeri Forest:
Stonechat, Chaffinch, Long-legged Buzzard

Achladeri Forest:
Long-tailed Tit, (Short-toed Treecreeper H)

Kalloni Saltpans West Channel area, inc. North-West pool:
Ruff (25+), Whiskered Tern (4), Wood Sandpiper (3), Citrine Wagtail (1x male), Black-tailed Godwit (2), Little Ringed Plover, Common Buzzard

Drive back to Skala:
Spanish Sparrow (15+), Squacco Heron, Common Sandpiper, Black Stork, Coot (4), Grey Heron, Marsh Sandpiper (6+), (Turtle Dove H), Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Jay

Pasiphae Hotel Back Garden:
Long-eared Owl
(thanks Bob! Presumably one of the same pair that I’d seen across the fields near the Imerti)

Day-list: 68+5 heard

Day 11 updates to the year-list:

215. WHISKERED TERN
216. Great Spotted Cuckoo
217. Rüppell’s Warbler
218. White-winged Black Tern

Some pics below:

Attachments

• WhiskeredTernSA2800.jpg
    WhiskeredTernSA2800.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 85
  • WWBlackTern1SA800.jpg
    WWBlackTern1SA800.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 76
  • Rüppell'sWarbler1KA800.jpg
    Rüppell'sWarbler1KA800.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 93
  • MarshSandpiper1SA800.jpg
    MarshSandpiper1SA800.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 84
  • LEOwlSK800.jpg
    LEOwlSK800.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
25th April, Lesvos Day 12

Weather: Hazy sun, breezy. Only two full days left, so beginning to think about species I hadn’t found yet. Looking like I’d be dipping on Bee-Eaters and Rollers, sadly, but the April weather just hadn’t been hot enough for them. Anyway, went back to Kavaki for more shots of Rüppell’s Warblers (as I stuffed up the first lot!), and then on to Ipsilou to see if I could manage a decent go at walking up to see what was about in the trees and rocks without getting blown away: still needed Isabelline Wheatear also.

Early-morning visit to Kalloni pool:
House Sparrow, Collared Dove, (Nightingale H), (Cetti’s Warbler H), Hooded Crow, Reed Warbler, Goldfinch, Crested Lark, House Martin, (Savi’s Warbler H), Coot, Moorhen, Common Tern, Great White Egret, Yellow-legged Gull, Blackbird, Great Tit

Kavaki:
Black-eared Wheatear, Linnet (2), (Turtle Dove H), Rüppell’s Warbler (2 pairs), Crag Martin, Blue Rock Thrush, Peregrine Falcon, Barn Swallow, Spanish Sparrow (large flock on the move), Jay (2), (Chiffchaff H), Common Buzzard, Subalpine Warbler, Greenfinch, (Nightingale H), Common Whitethroat

Road to Ipsilou from Petra:
Raven (3), Common Buzzard

Ipsilou Monastery:
Black-eared Wheatear (4+), (Woodlark H), (Cretzschmar’s Bunting H), Collared Flycatcher (10+), Pied Flycatcher (5+), (Hoopoe H), Subalpine Warbler, Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler (at least 1), Cinereous Bunting, Cirl Bunting, Blackcap, Common Redstart (2), Common Whitethroat, Sombre Tit, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Northern Wheatear (2+), Raven (2), Little Owl, Linnet (3+), Wood Warbler, Stonechat, Isabelline Wheatear, Western Rock Nutchatch

Road to Parakila via Eresos:
Whinchat (3+), Collared Flycatcher (2+), Black Stork, Grey Heron, Common Swift

Parakila Chapel:
Alpine Swift, Black-eared Wheatear, Western Rock Nuthatch (pair), Cinereous Bunting, (Cretzschmar’s Bunting H), (Golden Oriole H), (Eastern Orphean Warbler H)

Back to Kalloni Saltpans and in particular the pool across the road at the NW corner:

Black-winged Stilt, Greater Flamingo, Red-rumped Swallow, White-winged Black Tern (15+), Yellow Wagtail, Whiskered Tern (10+), Ruff (20+), Black-tailed Godwit (3), Common Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Marsh Sandpiper, Temminck’s Stint (2), Little Ringed Plover, Black Stork, Sand Martin, Corn Bunting, Little Egret

Day-list: 65+10 heard

Day 12 updates to the year-list:

219. Eastern Bonelli’s Warbler
220. ISABELLINE WHEATEAR
221. TEMMINCK’S STINT

Some pics below: not the best shots of the Stint and Bunting, but at least I have records

Attachments

• EBonellisWarbler2IP800.jpg
    EBonellisWarbler2IP800.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 86
  • CommonRedstart1IP800.jpg
    CommonRedstart1IP800.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IsabellineWheatear1IP800.jpg
    IsabellineWheatear1IP800.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 88
  • CinereousBuntingPA800.jpg
    CinereousBuntingPA800.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 105
  • TemmincksStintSA800.jpg
    TemmincksStintSA800.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
26th April, Lesvos Day 13

Weather: Some sun, some cloud. Strategy for finding the final day’s birds was hatched partly thanks to various chats with Steve Dudley, Paul Manning, and Bob Buckler the previous evening. Roller was looking pretty unlikely because of the continued relatively cool weather; ditto Bee-Eater. The Saltpans early in the morning would be the best bet, so a 6.45am start had me down there first thing: followed by a tip-off re. a Middle-Spotted Woodpecker nest.

Drive to saltpans via Tsiknias River:
Collared Dove, House Sparrow, Hooded Crow, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Whinchat, (Cetti’s Warbler H), (Nightingale H), Crested Lark, Greater Flamingo, Common Sandpiper, Moorhen, Barn Swallow, Common Tern (2), Little Egret, Yellow-legged Gull, Sedge Warbler, Wood Sandpiper

Down at the saltpans: No bee-eaters sadly, but other goodies!

Little Ringed Plover (2), Ruff, Black-winged Stilt, Glossy Ibis, Great White Egret, Whinchat (6+), Reed Warbler (2), Collared Pratincole (flock of 31), Ruddy Shelduck, Black Stork, Purple Heron, Avocet, Common Swift, Dunlin, Little Stint, Sanderling (2: thanks Paul!), House Martin, Red-rumped Swallow, Greater Short-toed Lark (2), Temminck’s Stint (1), Comon Snipe (1).

Then off north on the Petra road for the woodpecker nest: near Lafionas, a broken poplar tree just along a track at a sharp hairpin bend.

Got camera gear out, and waited for any action at the nest holes in the tree. I was fortunate to witness 3 change-overs at the nest in about 30 mins from about 9.20 in the morning. Super little birds, more pink and yellow than appears from the illustrations in Collins I felt.
After about 10 mins of me being there alone (careful to park car out of way of track so as not to block any vehicles), two minibuses turned up with everyone out to see the Woodpeckers (yes, they blocked the track for a farmer and had to shift!). Birders were pretty much marshalled straight back in again after the first sighting, with one holidaymaker sighing to me about how much I must be enjoying the time to look at the birds! Pretty odd, I thought, but did make me appreciate how much better it can be to do birding under one’s own steam when you have the opportunity and means to do so.

Middle Spotted Woodpecker (pair)

Other birds here:
Subalpine Warbler, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Blackbird

After this, and given my early luck with the Woodpeckers, I decided on what last trip out West to the Sigri area.

En route:
Jay (2), Stonechat, Northern Wheatear (2), Black-eared Wheatear, Raven (2), Red-Footed Falcon (1x male, on wire at bottom of hill into Sigri)

Sigri Fields:
Stonechat, Woodchat Shrike (4), Whinchat (1+)

Faneromeni Beach road fields:
White-winged Black Tern, Pied Flycatcher, Turtle Dove (4)

Faneromeni Beach:
Yellow Wagtail, White-winged Black Tern (4), Collared Pratincole (3), Hoopoe

Faneromeni Beach road fields again:
Nightingale, Collared Flycatcher, Purple Heron

Road to Lower Ford:
Pied Flycatcher (3), Common Whitethroat, Whinchat (2)

Lower Ford:
Pied Flycatcher, Nightingale (2), Turtle Dove

Back along road:
Woodchat Shrike (3), Grey Heron, Jay (2)

Road to Upper Ford:
Spotted Flycatcher, Spanish Sparrow (50+ flock), Woodchat Shrike (3), Collared Flycatcher, Golden Oriole (4), Nightingale

Upper Ford
Pied Flycatcher, Collared Flycatcher, Wood Sandpiper, Squacco Heron, Spotted Flycatcher, Raven over

Sigri Fields again:
Hoopoe (5 in one tree), Golden Oriole

Ipsilou Monastery:
Woodlark, Collared Flycatcher (5), Northern Wheatear (2), Black-eared Wheatear (3+), Raven, Common Redstart (1x female), Lesser Whitethroat, Pied Flycatcher, Jay (2), Spotted Flycatcher, Nightingale (2), Cinereous Bunting, Eastern Orphean Warbler, Blackcap (2), (Eastern Olivaceous Warbler H)

Later pm walk down to centre of Skala from hotel:
Eastern Olivaceous Warbler

Day-list: 71+1 heard, 2 lifers

Day 13 updates to the year-list:

222. SANDERLING
223. MIDDLE SPOTTED WOODPECKER

More pics below:

Attachments

• CollaredPratincoleSA1800.jpg
    CollaredPratincoleSA1800.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 87
  • FlamingoflightflockSA1000.jpg
    FlamingoflightflockSA1000.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 79
  • GlossyIbisflightpairSA1000.jpg
    GlossyIbisflightpairSA1000.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 74
  • MSWoodpecker2800.jpg
    MSWoodpecker2800.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 99
  • MSWoodpecker3800.jpg
    MSWoodpecker3800.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
[Day 14 am: nothing much on drive to airport, with weather still rather cold and cloudy, though a nice larger group of Little Terns at the saltpans on my way past.]

Lesvos Trip summary:

Birding highlights: the number of species (and the number of Whinchats and Collared Flycatchers), and finding my own excellent birds, even in conditions which were occasionally rather miserable: Meladia Valley chapel in particular proved to be an excellent place for sheltering small passerines - finding my own Firecrest was super. Also, close encounters with Red-Footed Falcon and Pallid Harrier were particularly memorable.
Some superb habitats also: I particularly enjoyed Metochi Lake and Achladeri Forest, though the Sigri area always came up trumps with probably the trip's best birds.

Birding dips :)-C!!): Bee-Eater, Roller, Black-headed Bunting (too early/wrong weather); Semi-Collared Flycatcher (despite a number of different attempts); missed an obvious Wryneck by five minutes and unlucky not to have seen Spectacled Warbler; no Rock Sparrow found; no Baillon’s Crake, but they were thin on the ground, and looking for one at Metochi Lake was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Bad weather for migrating large raptors. Also seemed odd that I didn't see or hear any Serins.

Other highlights: pan-fried Yarides in the Australia taverna, Sigri! Other seafood at the seaside taverna just round from Achladeri forest. Some very friendly other birders of different nationalities. The crazy bonfire-related celebrations for Easter in the centre of Skala!:eek!:

List total for trip: 160 species, 32 Lifers B :)

Other natural history sightings:
Though the weather/wind/late spring wasn’t at all good for butterflies, I did see one or two things:
Swallowtail, Holly Blue, Clouded Yellow, Eastern Bath White, Small Copper. Sadly no photos of any of these.

Other insects:
Dung beetles, Achladeri forest; various nice Shieldbugs.

Mammals:
Red Fox, Metochi Lake area; Beech Martin (sadly deceased); Persian Squirrel; Lesser Mole Rat, seemingly undermining the foundations of Parakila chapel!

Herps:
Balkan Wall Lizard, Balkan Green Lizard, Stripe-necked Terrapin, European Pond Terrapin, Agama Lizard, Marsh Frog.

Some final photos to follow

Last edited:
Some final pics from Lesvos:

One or two mammals:

Mole Rat digging up Parakila Chapel; Fox and Squirrel at Potamia Valley

Attachments

• LesserMoleRatPC800.jpg
    LesserMoleRatPC800.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 90
  • RedFoxPV800.jpg
    RedFoxPV800.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 77
  • PersianSquirrel800.jpg
    PersianSquirrel800.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Insects:

One of the Dung Beetles in Achladeri forest; and two Shield Bugs, one from my hotel room balcony, and one from the seaside scrub in the Kalloni sheepfields. The shot of the green bug was pretty much the only occasion I had to use my macro gear the whole time since otherwise the weather and wind were against it. Balkan Wall Lizard at Achladeri (below) was another exception.

Attachments

• DungBeetleAC600.jpg
    DungBeetleAC600.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 71
  • GreenShieldBugspSK1000.jpg
    GreenShieldBugspSK1000.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 68
  • ShieldBugSA600.jpg
    ShieldBugSA600.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Reptiles:

Balkan Wall Lizard in Achladeri forest; Agama Lizard at Ipsilou

Attachments

• BalkanWallLizardAC600.jpg
    BalkanWallLizardAC600.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 62
  • AgamaLizardIP600.jpg
    AgamaLizardIP600.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Back to more mundane stuff now to bring things up to date. More focused on butterflies than birds lately, but one or two additions:

224. Green Woodpecker (Finally!!)

Local fields, Banbury (also Corn Bunting and Yellow Wagtail), 15th May. Plenty more seen since, most probably active juveniles.

225. Hobby

Bicester, 5th June. Also one seen more recently at Otmoor (also Green Sandpiper there, another for the UK year list, which now stands at 123, latest Kingfisher, nice sighting on the River Cherwell in Banbury - thanks to my wife's excellent spotting).

226. Tawny Owl, Matlock Derbyshire, 16th July. Two juveniles calling and seen after dusk at my parents'. Brings my yearlist for Owls to five :king:

Last edited:
Some updates to my butterfly list for the year (still pretty meagre, but some good encounters; Oxfordshire unless stated; lifers in bold):

1) Peacock
2) Small Tortoiseshell
3) Brimstone
4) Orange Tip
5) Holly Blue (+ Lesvos)
6) Speckled Wood
7) Comma
8) Large White
9) Eastern Bath White (Lesvos)
10) Clouded Yellow (Lesvos)
11) Small Copper (+ Lesvos)
12) Swallowtail (Lesvos)
13) Marbled White
14) Ringlet
15) Meadow Brown
16) Gatekeeper
17) Large Skipper
18) Small Skipper
19) Silver-washed Fritillary (Warwickshire)
20) Red Admiral
21) Common Blue
22) Silver-spotted Skipper
23) Chalk-hill Blue
24) Small Heath
25) Brown Argus

Some of my better macro shots below:

Attachments

• MarbledWhite3HNC800.jpg
    MarbledWhite3HNC800.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Ringlet2HNC800.jpg
    Ringlet2HNC800.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 59
  • ChalkhillBlue2AR800.jpg
    ChalkhillBlue2AR800.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 54
  • SSSkipper3ARcrop1000.jpg
    SSSkipper3ARcrop1000.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 62
  • MeadowBrown1HNC800.jpg
    MeadowBrown1HNC800.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 70
Butterfly update:

We took a family trip to Whitecross Green Wood near Otmoor on Sunday looking for Brown Hairstreaks, but the weather wasn't great so we didn't see any. However, I had the opportunity for a return visit this morning. The weather was still a bit iffy, but the sun did come out and the wind wasn't too bad. Eventually after about an hour's searching I found one!

26) Brown Hairstreak

Really beautiful, think this one's a female. Sadly could get no closer before it flew away. Hung around looking for more but didn't see any.

Attachments

• BrownHairstreak1WGW600.jpg
    BrownHairstreak1WGW600.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 62
  • BrownHairstreak2WGW600.jpg
    BrownHairstreak2WGW600.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back