• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flint Point, Shotton & Chester (1 Viewer)

Shotton Steelworks

09/07/17

1 Marsh Warbler........( found by, and ID confirmed by, Merseyside Ringing Group )...........

Pools........3 Little Grebe, 2 Gadwall, 6 Moorhen, 2 Mute Swan, 14 Tufted Duck, and 2 Great Crested Grebe, with 9 Common Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpiper, 1 Grey Wagtail, and 5 Ringed Plover, present around the perimeter's.

1 Cetti's Warbler was heard.

1 Spotted Crake was heard.

28 Black Tailed Godwit, and 1 Great White Egret, were recorded as 'flyovers'.

Other notable birds........1 Stonechat, 2 Kestrel, 2 Buzzard, and 1 Sparrowhawk.

Patch List ( 2010 ~ 2017 ) ~ 201 species ~ Latest ~ Marsh Warbler

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

12/07/17

Pools.........22 Tufted Duck, 1 Shoveler, 4 Little Grebe, and 2 Great Crested Grebe.

Birds that were noted, passing through the gulley's and ditches, at 'First Light', included........41 ( forty one ) Common Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpiper, 6 Ringed Plover, and 3 Redstart.

2 Cetti's Warbler were heard.

Rough Grassland/Scrub...........1 Peregrine Falcon, 1 Sparrowhawk, 100+ Goldfinch, 2 Kestrel, 3 Buzzard, 20+ Stock Dove, 80+ Swift, and 1 Stonechat.

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

50+ at 05.00am this morning James...........

The steelworks is a traditional stopover for them, they appear to drop in overnight, and roost in the gulley's, that are around the outside perimeter's of the site. It's wonderful to watch them all reappearing at daybreak.

Denzil

Shotton Steelworks

13/07/17

Pools........25 Tufted Duck, 2 Great Crested Grebe, and 4 Little Grebe.

3 Cetti's Warbler were heard.

50+ Common Sandpiper, 2 Green Sandpiper, 4 Dunlin, 25 Lapwing, 1 Great White Egret, 100+ Canada Goose, 1 Wood Sandpiper, and 3 Ringed Plover, were noted around the margins.

Shotton Steelworks

14/07/17

HELP WITH ID PLEASE........

I had a very unusual wader at Shotton, which I was only able to view from a considerable distance away, from where the bird was feeding.........I was on the banks of the Dee at the steelworks, and the bird was noted feeding along the shoreline, underneath the Flint Bridge, adjacent to the Nature Trail at Connah's Quay NR.......

Description........... similar in size to Redshank, but with an apparent slimmer build, and a more elongated general shape, with clean white underparts, and darker upperparts, ( I initially, thought it was another Wood Sandpiper ), but it fed with a similar jerky style to Redshank, but was notably longer legged than the Redshanks around it, and had a habit of continually running quickly, through the shallow water, after it's chosen prey.......and these unusual behavioural habits, made the bird stand out, amongst the other's around it, and also made it easy to dismiss Wood Sandpiper, and other possible likely species, even from the considerable distance, that I was away from bird.............

Any ideas anyone?...........

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

Leg colour and bill size would be useful to assess the possibility ofor Lesser Yellowlegs or Marsh Sandpiper.

Thanks James............

I've done some research, and watched a few videos, and I'm going to 'plump', with a reasonable degree of confidence, for a Lesser Yellowlegs.

It wasn't possible to determine leg colour, owing to the distance of the bird, from where I was standing,....but the bill, appeared to be relatively short, and straight.

I can confidently dismiss Marsh Sandpiper, because there was no apparent white wedge to be seen, running up the back of the bird, when the bird was in flight.

It's general overall plumage ( from distance ), presented as being very similar to a Wood Sandpiper, which is what I originally thought it was, but it's feeding habits, long legs, and overall shape, as mentioned before, were uniquely different.........I'm reasonably confident, that it was a Lesser Yelllowlegs.

Shotton Steelworks

15/07/17

A walk up to 'White Sands', in an attempt to obtain better views, of what appeared to be a ( possible ) Lesser Yellowlegs yesterday, proved to be a fruitless walk, as there was no further evidence of the bird in question.

So, in the absence of a second opinion at the time, this bird will have to be consigned to the history books.........for now.

Pools........28 Tufted Duck, 5 Gadwall, 3 Shoveler, 2 Little Grebe, 2 Great Crested Grebe, and 2 Mute Swan, with 26 Lapwing, and 1 Greenshank, around the perimeter's.

24 Common Sandpiper remained.

1 Great White Egret ( flyover ), 2 Kestrel, and 5 Raven, were also noted.

Shotton Steelworks

16/07/17

Another search around the 'White Sands' area this morning, for what appeared to have been, a ( possible ) Lesser Yellowlegs, a couple of day's ago,...... drew another resounding blank.

Pools.........37 Tufted Duck, 5 Little Grebe, 2 Great Crested Grebe, and 1 Green Sandpiper.

Jackdaw roost held 700+ birds.

3 Great White Egret ( flyover's ), and 2 Ringed Plover, passed through.

19 Common Sandpiper remain.

Shotton Steelworks

17/07/17

Pools..........2 Little Grebe, 21 Tufted Duck, 2 Great Crested Grebe, and 3 Green Sandpiper.

2 Great White Egret, 150+ Black Tailed Godwit, 22 Ringed Plover, and 1 Little Ringed Plover, passed through.

17 Common Sandpiper remain.

Shotton Steelworks

18/07/17

Pools.........4 Little Grebe, 2 Great Crested Grebe, 22 Tufted Duck, 2 Mute Swan, and 3 Green Sandpiper.

3 Ruff, 2 Greenshank, 3 Great White Egret ( flyover's ), 21 Dunlin, 5 Ringed Plover, 1 Whimbrel, 230+ Black Tailed Godwit, 1 Little Ringed Plover, a mixed flock of 130+ Goldfinch and Linnet, and 6 Mistle Thrush, were also noted.

26 Common Sandpiper remain.

Shotton Steelworks

19/07/17

Pools.....................2 Gadwall, 7 Mallard, 6 Moorhen, 30+ Canada Goose, 18 Tufted Duck, 3 Little Grebe, 2 Mute Swan, 8 Coot, 2 Great Crested Grebe, 6 Green Sandpiper, and 1 Wood Sandpiper.

4 Cetti's Warbler were heard.

3 Ringed Plover, and 2 Ruff, passed through.

17 Common Sandpiper remain.

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

20/07/17

Pools...........21 Tufted Duck, 4 Little Grebe, 8 Green Sandpiper, 10 Mallard, 2 Coot, 1 Shoveler, 4 Moorhen, and 2 Great Crested Grebe.

50+ Black Tailed Godwit, 9 Dunlin, 1 Marsh Harrier, and 1 Great White Egret, passed through.

2 Little Owl, were perched along the riverside public footpath.

23 Common Sandpiper remain.

Shotton Steelworks

21/07/17

Pools.............19 Tufted Duck, 1 Shoveler, 4 Moorhen, 2 Great Crested Grebe, 2 Little Grebe, and 5 Green Sandpiper.

4 Ringed Plover, and 1 Hobby, passed through.

9 Common Sandpiper remain.

Shotton Steelworks

22/07/17

It would appear, that there was possibly a fresh arrival of Common Sandpiper overnight, with 28 birds, noted at the roost at 05.15am this morning.

Pools.........2 Gadwall, 2 Great Crested Grebe, 4 Little Grebe, 16 Coot, 16 Mallard, 18 Shoveler ( 14 adults + 4 juv's ), 21 Tufted Duck, 50+ Swift, 20+ Sand Martin, and 3 Green Sandpiper.

1 Grasshopper Warbler was heard.

5 Ringed Plover, and 1 Whimbrel, passed through.

***** I note, from the various bird services, that the Lesser Yellowlegs, has been re-found, out on Burton Outer Marsh, and is now confirmed........I'm delighted! *****

Patch List ( 2010 ~ 2017 ) ~ 202 species ~ 2017 additions ~ Marsh Warbler, Lesser Yellowlegs

Last edited:
Shotton Steelworks

23/07/17

Pools........3 Gadwall, 20 Mallard, 4 Little Grebe, 3 Coot, 9 Moorhen, 2 Great Crested Grebe, 1 Teal, 14 Shoveler, and 14 Tufted Duck.

2 Bullfinch, 1 Grasshopper Warbler, 2 Great White Egret, 3 Whimbrel, 2 Ringed Plover, 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Coal Tit, and the first returning Wheatear ( juv ) to site, were also noted.

22 Common Sandpiper, were at the roost.

Shotton Steelworks

24/07/17

***** It's nearly time for me to hang up the Nut Feeder again, and it will be interesting to see whether the couple of Jay's, that I observed hanging from it last year, will do so again this year.........it's the first time, that I've ever seen this species do this,...........*****

Pools....... 2 Teal, 26 Mallard, 7 Little Grebe, 9 Moorhen, 2 Great Crested Grebe, 8 Coot, 13 Canada Goose, 29 Tufted Duck, 2 Gadwall, 1 Shoveler, and 3 Green Sandpiper.

2 Jay, 2 Bullfinch, 1 Grasshopper Warbler, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 3 Ringed Plover, 2 Dunlin, 1 Avocet, 1 Rock Pipit, 1 Tree Pipit, 9 Black Tailed Godwit, 1 Sparrowhawk, and a flock of 15 Mistle Thrush, were also noted.

22 Common Sandpiper, were at the traditional roost.

22/07/17

***** I note, from the various bird services, that the Lesser Yellowlegs, has been re-found, out on Burton Outer Marsh, and is now confirmed........I'm delighted! *****

Any idea who else has seen this bird Denzil, or whereabouts on the marsh it was seen, no-one seems to know?

Jonathan

Shotton Steelworks

25/07/17

Hi Jonathan.........thanks for your reply........

I really can't help you on this one, I'm afraid.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back