• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

It was the lack of much in the way of description of Ruppells in both text and bird field guides that motivated Javi Elorriaga and Guillermo Rodrigez in Dutch Birding (Vol 38, Issue 6, 2016). If you can get your hands on the paper it's a mine of information on ID features.

Its title is 'Identification of Ruppell's Vulture and White-backed Vulture and Vagrancy in the WP'. It includes many photos of various plumages as the birds age and also plenty of text to describe the differences. The paper runs to over 20 pages, so there's a host of information.

https://www.dutchbirding.nl/journal/38/6 That link is to the Dutch version, but it's also available in English.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Quiet potter about day at villa near Establiments - great that first bird was a Hoopoe. Followed by swift, house sparrow. Wood Pigeon, tons of spotted fly, blackbird, greenfinch, kestrel, cistocola. Swallow , house Martin, Woodchat Shrike, collared and turtle doves and a stone curlew. Couple of Hares, speckwood butty and a not yet ID'd warbler was all I could manage in this very clammy day. Oh and a demonic looking cat.

Unfortunately, that vulture it's not a Rueppell, it's a Griffon. I contacted with Javier Elorriaga, one of the authors of the article in Dutch Birding, and he is completely sure about the identification as a Griffon. So, we'll have to wait to get with the first homologated record of a Rueppell in the Balearics.

In the north of Mallorca not too many news. A few migrating waders and some flocks of swallows. Hope that the storms will arrive soon, now it's hard to go birding in this extremely hot weather.

An evening seawatch at the most southerly point, Cap de Ses Salines tonight produced 54 Scopoli's Shearwaters, all heading towards Cabrera, two Greater Flamingos flying far out at sea, a large flock of Common Swift and a hunting male Peregrine. Also a few Turtle Doves on the road down to the Cap, no doubt on their way off the Island. I only went to try to get away from the sweltering heat. It didn't work, it was just as humid. Mike

Thanks Maties for the confirmation of the Griffon Vulture. I wonder if it's the same bird that has been seen by others. It has been a very interesting exercise, and we have certainly learnt a lot more about Ruppell's Vulture. Thanks also to everyone else who has contributed. Mike

Sightings La Gola

Hello!
Some interesting birds this week at la Gola; Squacco Heron, Crag Martin, Hoopoe and Booted Eagle.
One Squacco is still here right now.
Regards,
Cristina.

Near Alcudia. Staying in a villa and just over the wall in a field with a strip of "set aside?" pair of StoneCurlews with 3juveniles. Very nice. Eleanoras Falcon hunting around tamarisk copse which has a roost of finches late evening. Small family of Zitting Cisticolas and of Stonechat in weedy area. Swifts, swallows, house Martin's and spot flycatchers in good numbers. Also Swallowtail butterfly and hummingbird hawk moth. Heat and humidity exhausting. Mustn't complain, only 20 degrees in U.K. Ray

Hi Mike,

Still following the Ruppell`s saga [was it or wasn`t it?] with great interest. After the sighting last month described as “almost certain” I was teetering on adding Ruppell`s to my list but the recent post with the photograph of the bird seen at Cuber in Summer 2016 I`m not so sure. Hand on heart I cannot say that “mine” was not this bird. As I said I`m no expert having not seen a Ruppell`s before & to me if I had seen the one in the photo I too would have confidently claimed it as Ruppell`s. Just goes to show how difficult it can be to separate the two species in the field. This whole exercise though certainly has been good for me so that now I know exactly what features to concentrate on when I next go through a group of Griffons & the necessity to take a record photo & detailed field notes.

Heading to Mallorca again this year and arriving on the 11th August.

Is really a "family holiday" but will be heading out birding most days.

Staying in Playa de Muro which gives me access using public transport to several northern birding places such as Boquer Valley, S'Albufera Wetlands etc but hiring a car from 16th - 19th so if anyone suggestions as to where to see Scops Owl, drive to where the seatrips take place etc or would even like to share car journeys let me know.

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob. Glad you are coming back over to Mallorca. I hope it gets a bit cooler for you, it has been stiflingly hot. I went round Mondrago Parc last night and heard at least four Scops owls calling, probably more. I also hear two Nightjar churring and saw one in flight.
I'm sure there are reliable sites for Scops owl in the north but I don't know any for this year. Visitors have been very good at posting their sightings on this thread so if anyone else can help, please let us know.
Boats go from Colonia Sant Jordi in the south to Cabrera but I don't know of any organized tours with "chumming". This is a great shame because they are a huge success and certainly in my top ten days out birding ever. The Shearwaters are so close, you could reach out and touch their wing tips. Great for photography.
You can go by boat to Cabrera which gives about four hours on the island but as there is no chumming, only minimal sea birds are seen. Let me know if you are going, I will try to join you. Mike

The annual bird report is now available online from the G.O.B. Website for a very modest payment.
It is a mammoth undertaking to translate it all so I do hope good numbers of people obtain a copy. It is obviously very important internationally to have an English version available. It's full of interesting articles and facts and figures as well as all the sightings including a section for rare birds. Many thanks, Mike

Hi Rob. Glad you are coming back over to Mallorca. I hope it gets a bit cooler for you, it has been stiflingly hot. I went round Mondrago Parc last night and heard at least four Scops owls calling, probably more. I also hear two Nightjar churring and saw one in flight.
I'm sure there are reliable sites for Scops owl in the north but I don't know any for this year. Visitors have been very good at posting their sightings on this thread so if anyone else can help, please let us know.
Boats go from Colonia Sant Jordi in the south to Cabrera but I don't know of any organized tours with "chumming". This is a great shame because they are a huge success and certainly in my top ten days out birding ever. The Shearwaters are so close, you could reach out and touch their wing tips. Great for photography.
You can go by boat to Cabrera which gives about four hours on the island but as there is no chumming, only minimal sea birds are seen. Let me know if you are going, I will try to join you. Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike. I'll let you know the state of play and what (if any) boat trips I've managed to find!

Cheers

Rob

It's too early to be at the Cap de Ses Salines for autumn migration but I found myself there before first light, unable to sleep thinking I may be missing Black kite which come through from now onwards. I didn't see one but there was enough to keep me happy, juvenile Woodchat, 3 Peregrine, a couple of Marsh Harrier, lots of Barn Swallows, Turtle dove, 7 Common kestrel, about 20 Scopoli's Shearwaters around Cabrera, 2 Red Kite and a few Hoopoes. Mike

Not had much chance to get out and about due to the brutal heat and just having a great time with the family but did manage an hour or two early yesterday.

Back of camera shot so a little unclear from S'Albufera - is this a little bittern - not seen one before - Could someone advise please?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 123
Not had much chance to get out and about due to the brutal heat and just having a great time with the family but did manage an hour or two early yesterday.

Back of camera shot so a little unclear from S'Albufera - is this a little bittern - not seen one before - Could someone advise please?

I think this is juv night heron from your photo. Seems to have stubbier tail end than juv bittern.
Ray

Flamingos

Hello again,
This morning there was a flock of 9-10 Flamingos flying along Pollença Bay.
Also every morning there's a meeting of Audouin's Gull (and some Yellow-legged too) in front of the Torrent de Sant Jordi (stream).;)
Regards,
Cristina.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back