• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

I was meant to take my wife out for a trip in the countryside but I just popped into Cap de Ses Salines for a few minutes. Two hours later I emerged having seen a dazzling blue Roller, three Black Kite, Black Vulture plus a supporting cast of local Marsh Harrier, Booted Eagle and Red Kite. I also saw three Buzzard species but I spent so long trying to photograph them that I missed the details. I think it's better to spend the time looking at the birds instead of getting photos. I think it's too early for Honey Buzzard but that's what my money would have been on.
The salt pans were quiet and I spent two hours scouring the country around Sa Rapita for four reported Black stork. I have no idea how my wife puts up with me. Mike

Hello!
Here you have our Squacco ;)
Not difficult to see from the Center.

Attachments

• 101_1268_2.jpg
    101_1268_2.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 106
I didn't get to the Cap until late morning today but still managed to see five Black Kite going through. I understand that there have been big numbers through the mainland so it's nice that a few have come our way.
It pains me to think about what is being missed though, there are many days during migration when nobody is there. I just wish I could camp out there for the next six weeks.
Also a group of five Booted Eagle circling together near the coast. There are quite a few local birds so it's hard to tell these from migrants but they did disappear quite quickly so they may well have been migrants. All a bit early this year. Mike

Just as an aside, some time ago a visitor reported hearing a Jay-like call, at Cuber I think.
I recently heard a similar call only to discover that it was a Hoopoe. I didn't know they made a call like that. Anybody else heard similar calls? Mike

At the Cap this morning there was another Roller, it looked different from the one a couple of days ago. Other than that, there was very little evidence of migration, except a flock of Heron, Purple I think. Lots of local Red Kite, Marsh Harrier and Booted eagles to keep me happy. The two days following the rainstorm were good with quite a few Black Kite but it has all slowed now. Another storm would be good. Mike

Spent all day yesterday at S"Albufera Wetlands as was walkable -probably there too today as Sunday bus timetable. Was an unusual day as didn't see a crested (red knobbed) coot or another birder. Plenty of spotted flycatchers to keep me amused and allowed for close proximity photos and the little bittern was by the bridges . During the day saw it climb up twice (remarkably quickly) the reeds and fly off. There was a gull billed tern from Es Cibollar little distant but good views. Baggage allowance wouldn't enable me to bring a scope! There were the usual suspects and also three glossy ibis which spent a fair amount of time seen from the Sa Roca hide and flying around the reserve.

Another great morning at the Cap with some locals. Three more Black Kite, two Common Buzzard and the usual array of local birds including Marsh Harrier, Red Kite and Booted eagles. Nearby Juanjo saw an Eleonora's Falcón and an Alpine swift. I photographed a distant raptor at the Cap a few days ago and it appears to be a Bonelli's Eagle. They are seen quite often in this area.
Common Buzzard are not common at all, only a handful breed in Mallorca and these two young birds today may have been born on the Island. Mike

Much the same at SAlbufera today but this time some stone curlews, no tern, bucket loads of glossy ibis ( well. At least 14) and the little bittern performed beautifully on and by the bridge!

Juvenile night heron flying around and was very very hot!

Many thanks Steve, I've just been reading it and it's packed full of good things. I'm sure all Mallorca fans will appreciate all your hard work in translating it into English for us. Mike

Bee-eaters are on the move, I saw three flocks in the south today with some super-close views of some of these brilliantly coloured little stunners. Bigger flocks to come, last year I saw over 200 at the Cap in just one morning. Mike

Mortix was productive yesterday but sadly no Bonneli. Couple of black vultures came in " close' to check me out! Other birds were Griffin Vilture, blue rock thrush spotted flycatcher, hippie and black redstart. Was also a strangely coloured flycatcher which will check up on on my return to Yorkshire!

Doubt if much chance of a boat trip this time as too many family commitments so going to head to Salonrs de Campos today for greater flamingos and see if can find the roller!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back