• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit from India (1 Viewer)

Helgesor

I saw this Pipit in Kanha Nationalpark, Madhya Pradesh in India on Feb 1st, 2012.

I am undecided between Olive-backed Pipit or Tree Pipit.

According to my Indian bird book, Olive-backed should be the more common in that area.

Thanks for the help,

Helge

Attachments

• CollPiber.jpg
    CollPiber.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 166
I'm no good when it comes to identifying pipits (other than the American Pipit), but shouldn't an Olive-backed Pipit be more green?

Tree pipit for me,because the streaking on the flanks thins out.Plus you can see the broken eye ring.

Steve.

I felt that the markings behind the eye were more like Olive-backed, but I see the points mentioned. Especially the heavy markings on the back are good for Tree.

I will book it as a Tree Pipit, thanks all for your help.

Helge

The white marking on the ear coverts can sometimes be present in Tree pipit, so this is not always a "good" feature, though it is usually much larger in OBP. The comments refering to the streaking on the mantle and underparts are probably more insightful for identification purposes.

makpe those two are faintly streaked.

re plate 24 - never seen one like that in the WP

Oh yes, sorry about my bad English. I meant that they have lots of streaks on the mantle.

The subject bird looks like Tree Pipit for me too;
- broad streaking in breast not broad enough and there's no arrowheads often found from hodgsoni
- super is rather broad but all whitish
- streaks on mantle looks very broad
- "ear covert spots" are more Tree Pipit like

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back