• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ABA Checklist 2014 (1 Viewer)

Also I managed to get these on my last trip to Florida at Crandon Park, along with 70+ peafowl (!) and a couple of exotic herps. Can't recall if I saw them elsewhere, so not quite as abundant as Muscovy Duck, which literally were everywhere

I have seen them in Miami both in 11 and 13. Not that I really care, but what is the rule for observations done before the status as naturalized is published? How far back can they be counted?

One reason not to care too much is that world wide I also have them from e.g., Denmark, Egypt, and southern Africa.

Niels

What is the rule for observations done before the status as naturalized is published? How far back ?
Not 100% sure but the ABA rules say: "an indigenous species currently accepted by the Checklist Committee but observed in the past when it was not considered a valid full species may be counted;"
But Egyptian Geese are not indigenous so "an introduced species may be counted only where and when it meets the ABA Checklist’s definition for being an established population."??? So birds seen before now are not countable?
http://listing.aba.org/aba-recording-rules/ .

Last edited:
...Egyptian Geese are not indigenous so "an introduced species may be counted only where and when it meets the ABA Checklist’s definition for being an established population."??? So birds seen before now are not countable?
Arguably, they should be countable from whenever Pranty & Ponzo conclude that the introduced population historically qualified as 'established', not just from the date of the CLC decision or announcement.

But who really cares anyway... ;)

Last edited:
P & P = Pranty, B. and V. Ponzo. 2014. Status and distribution of Egyptian Geese (Alopochen aegyptiaca) in southeastern Florida. Florida Field Naturalist 42:in press. So keep checking here:
http://www.fosbirds.org/ffns .
Also 3 days ago on the ABA blog Pranty stated:
Earlier this month, the Florida Ornithological Society Records Committee accepted Tricolored Munia as a natural colonist/disperser to Dry Tortugas National Park from populations in the West Indies and tropical America (presumably from Cuba, only 105 miles distant). There have been four photographic records of the species in the park (June 1999, April 2003, July 2009, and December 2013). National Park Service biologists ruled out any possibility that the munias are escaping or being released by Cuban immigrants to the Tortugas, and no exotic population in Florida is known.

The ABA Checklist Committee is currently voting on whether or not to add Tricolored Munia to the ABA Checklist based on the Florida records.

Bill Pranty
Bayonet Point, Florida
ABA Checklist Committee chair

There is a committee currently looking at setting forward rules on countability regarding introduced species prior to the point they were add to the ABA checklist, along with other listing situations.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back