• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

canon 7d and celestron regal 80 (1 Viewer)

falconer2

no live preview with this setup. according to canon one needs a lens to contact the body to get live view. some where on this forum i had seen a thread of how to bypass this limit. i can't find it again..o:D. if some one can help me out ..as i'm a newbie to digiscoping i can keep the scope and use it the way i want to; if not back to store for refund. i only have a week. the clerks at the store seem to think that the camera should display live view with out any tricks.
thank you,:t:
Falconer2

I don't have a 7d but live view works fine on my 450d without a lens attached. Didn't have to use any workaround. In the menu settings there is the option to turn live view on or off and that's the only thing I need to enable. In manual mode the exposure is off and the screen is generally very dark so it help to compose the shot in Av mode as for some reason the exposure works fine and then go back to manual for the actual photo. On the 7d you can use an option called exposure simulation and the screen should brighten up in manual mode.

I think on the Regal 80 f-ed you would get better photos having a lens on the camera, something like a 28mm and photograph through the eyepiece. Or use a small point and shoot camera photographing through the eyepiece.

Paul.

I don't have a 7d but live view works fine on my 450d without a lens attached. Didn't have to use any workaround. In the menu settings there is the option to turn live view on or off and that's the only thing I need to enable. In manual mode the exposure is off and the screen is generally very dark so it help to compose the shot in Av mode as for some reason the exposure works fine and then go back to manual for the actual photo. On the 7d you can use an option called exposure simulation and the screen should brighten up in manual mode.

I think on the Regal 80 f-ed you would get better photos having a lens on the camera, something like a 28mm and photograph through the eyepiece. Or use a small point and shoot camera photographing through the eyepiece.

Paul.
thanks Paul. it seems that i did have live view and exposure sim enabled. however foolishly i had my iso set at 3200. that's why a black screen. now to test with the scope.
canon had told me that live view wouldn't work without a lens. that's tech support for you on the telephone. nothing like forums.
thanks again.:t:

thanks Paul. it seems that i did have live view and exposure sim enabled. however foolishly i had my iso set at 3200. that's why a black screen. now to test with the scope.
canon had told me that live view wouldn't work without a lens. that's tech support for you on the telephone. nothing like forums.
thanks again.:t:

Please let me know how you go with it am thinking of getting into scoping my self .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back