• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

euro HD 8x32 transmission (1 Viewer)

Just don't understand why Meopta still not applying dielectric coating while nowadays even $300 bins are having.

What I find interesting is they can use Silver coatings and still reach a peak of ~85-90% transmission (based on the non-HD B1's results in the transmission tests posted above).

Justin

would be interesting to see how the Meostar B1 can take on the Conquest HD 8x32,
just slightly higher in price, ergonomics seem to be very good,
large ocular lenses, low CA and quite low weight,
could be a keeper,
and the Cabelas EURO HD even better,
sorry to see we don't have them in EUROpe...

Allbinos.com just reviewed the Conquest HD they ranked it 8th, Meopta was 17th.

http://www.allbinos.com/allbinos_ranking-binoculars_ranking-8x32.html

Actually, I don't like any of the 16 first bins on the ranking list....o:D
but I guess Meopta can't do magic either, not easy to build small bins.

interesting to see that Meostars almost 5 year old have higher transmission than the Conquests HD:s, less vignetting and better interior blackening,
:t:

ocular lenses on B1 look smallish on the allbinos photos,
wonder if they have been updated since?

Actually, I don't like any of the 16 first bins on the ranking list....o:D
but I guess Meopta can't do magic either, not easy to build small bins.

interesting to see that Meostars almost 5 year old have higher transmission than the Conquests HD:s, less vignetting and better interior blackening,
:t:

ocular lenses on B1 look smallish on the allbinos photos,
wonder if they have been updated since?

Your in good company ...

My all-time favorite binoculars

by Holger Merlitz

During the last decade I have reviewed a vast number of binoculars, eliminated dozens of them because of their poor optical or mechanical qualities, but also identified a lot of gems of very different price ranges. Most of the binoculars which I owned over certain periods of time are meanwhile sold, quite a few of those described on my webpages have been on loan anyway and since long given back to their owners.

But sometimes I have been asked about which of all those binoculars actually remained, which of them are frequently, or occasionally, in use, and why? Well, below are my current all-time favorites, those which are not collecting dust inside a stuffy closet but actually see the sunlight (or: moonlight):

http://www.holgermerlitz.de/favorites/favorites.html

Last edited:
FWIW, my Meostar 8x32 is my most used binocular, and then I have more exquisite binoculars than I care to admit.
I would like it to have a more neutral colour balance and less CA, but those things are not what I think of when I have brought it and can see that lifer.
In fact, I don't think of it at all since it suits my visual, ergonomic and practical needs with literally no effort.

This is the binocular I would need to buy again if lost, likely in the Cabela's version as Meopta took the unfathomably stupid decision not to offer the HD in Europe.

//L

Meopta customer service stated that the transmission of the hd models should be identical to the original B1 series, so a max of 88-90% for the 8x32. I find it odd then that there is no strong color cast (I.E. yellow hue often referred to in the B1 series) in the HD series, but it is what it is.

Justin

Meopta customer service stated that the transmission of the hd models should be identical to the original B1 series, so a max of 88-90% for the 8x32. I find it odd then that there is no strong color cast (I.E. yellow hue often referred to in the B1 series) in the HD series, but it is what it is.

Justin

color cast is quite subjective, as is CA or RB, some see it, some don't,
I can see differences in my binos (some slightly cold or warm) but when using either of them
it's not a practical problem, more of a psychological one IMO...;)

Like other manufacturers Meopta is probably continuously improvning their coatings,
and their latest are likely to be found in the (Euro) HD models,
not necessarily higher transmission but a flatter curve perhaps?

and if you don't see any significant color cast, why worry?
:smoke:

Did you try to compare some of the B1:s with the newer HD:s?

found this review:

"The difference came in color with the SLC neu being neutral, but slightly cooler (blue), and the Meostar HD being neutral, but slightly warmer (yellow) Still, this Meostar HD was not nearly as warm as the previous generation Meostar. Keeping with the other Meopta products I tested, the Meostar HD had higher apparent contrast than the SLC neu, and provided a saturated, colorful image. The other difference came in CA control. The Meostar HD showed less CA, including NONE in the center of the field, and only slight amounts at the edge. This was quite impressive. The Meostar HD offered the SLC neu’s view with an improvement in CA control."

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/optics/251-meopta-meostar-b1-10x42-hd-binocular

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back