• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Island Iten Validation Request (1 Viewer)

TheMcNeills

G'Day from Australia...

The Mrs is letting me stop for a week in Hawaii on the way over to the mainland to do a bit of lifer hunting and I was hoping that I could post my plan for any feedback? Please let me know if I am being too ambitious, too soft or have my logistics all wrong!

Arrive in HNL early AM on Sept 6, Monday from Aussie - Fly to Hilo, rent a car and cross the spine to Kona...explore various spots along the way.
Tuesday - Take the all day Hakalau Forest Trail hoping for Pueo, Io, Omao, Elepaio, Hawaii Amakihi, Akepa, Hawaii Creeper, Akiapolaau, Iiwi, and Apapane. Overnight in Kona
Wednesday - pack the kit and head back to Mauna Kea with Palila being the main target...overnight in Hilo
Thursday - Koa-ohia Lehua Forest for Akiapola'au if missed in Hakalau, night somewhere near Volcano NP or Hilo so we can see the after dark lava flows
Friday - general Volcano bits and reserved if missing any bush birds...fly back to HNL that PM.

So does this see like a reasonable amount of time to try and see what Hawaii Is. has to offer? Any recommendations? Am I missing any species...don't think Alala is a chance any more?

All thoughts are most welcome...

Roger

Wednesday - pack the kit and head back to Mauna Kea with Palila being the main target...overnight in Hilo

Palila habitat currently isn't accessible - closed off due to extreme drought through at least August and probably longer if conditions don't change. I have not been up that end of the mountain since April, so I'm not sure what it's like at this point.

By "Hakalau Forest Trail" do you mean a guided tour? The "main" part of Hakalau Forest NWR has no public access, and the part that does have public access would be much less chance of success than the guided tours. To have a decent chance of encountering creeper or 'akepa you have to be on one of these tours.

There is very little endangered bird habitat near public access points, which is to say that you won't have to worry about running all over the place because there aren't many places to go that don't involve a huge hike. 'Akiapola'au are always present in the koa on the first mile of Pu'u O'o Trail, about 6 birds in a very tiny habitat, but you should study the recordings since you will probably need to locate them by ear. There are a creeper or two there but they can be really tough to find. 'Akepa are several miles further out there, and much more difficult to see.

Yes, I was speaking about the tour...should have said "tour" not "trip". Our trip is in September so perhaps the habitat will have improved by then.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back