• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

A few bits to get offloaded, starting with some stuff from Batumi, Georgia. Massive numbers of raptors there where I was a counter in September for 2 weeks. Around 118,000 raptors were entered in my notebook in twelve days, so not much time for sketching;)

Honey Buzzard; Lesser Spotted Eagle, Pallid Harrier 2nd calender male,Short Toed Eagle.

Attachments

• hb sketch.jpg
    hb sketch.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 29
  • lse 1.jpg
    lse 1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Pallid 2k male.jpg
    Pallid 2k male.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 45
  • ste 2.jpg
    ste 2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 39
More raptors here...

Crested Honey Buzzard, adult female, notes etc.
Crested Honey Buzzard, adult male, notes etc.
2 Steppe Eagle sketches, with some notes..

Attachments

• Crest hb female sk.jpg
    Crest hb female sk.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Crested hb male sk.jpg
    Crested hb male sk.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 44
  • steppe 1.jpg
    steppe 1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 30
  • steppe eagle sketch.jpg
    steppe eagle sketch.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 37
Northern Carmine Bee-eaters, Ingaro, Sweden.

The strange story of these birds is on my blog, thought they are escapes from somewhere on mainland europe, been touring Sweden since June 2012. Stranger things have happend in birding, surely they can't be wild birds...Now moving southwards and turned up in Uppland, where I caught up on them yesterday...could of done with a watercolur box;)
Incredible birds and a great experience....

Attachments

• cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 45
  • cb2.jpg
    cb2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 29
  • cb3-2.jpg
    cb3-2.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 26
  • cb3.jpg
    cb3.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 40
  • cb5.jpg
    cb5.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 26
Great sketchwork here! It's a real challenge to draw migrating raptors, I tried it in Tarifa in March. I found that it presented me with two problems - it required a tremendous drawing speed, and I always felt that I was missing out on the action when I focused on one single bird. You've done a great job here, especially considering the numbers of birds passing!

I don't know how you manage to get those lines where they are (I know, I've said it a million times before). Considering the excitement you must have felt, i'd have been a wreck trying to get a line on paper - today I had a little scribble at a group of red kites that passed over me - what a mess they were, partly because I was supposed to be counting woodpigeons, but mostly because that's what happens when I sketch flying birds!

Great sketchwork here! It's a real challenge to draw migrating raptors, I tried it in Tarifa in March. I found that it presented me with two problems - it required a tremendous drawing speed, and I always felt that I was missing out on the action when I focused on one single bird. You've done a great job here, especially considering the numbers of birds passing!

Just got back from watching migrating raptors, among others, in Cape May. I spent a few hours one day trying to capture them as the dipped and rose, shot by and turned sharply. It was exhilarating to watch and almost impossible to get down. These drawings are an inspiration, not that similar ones from you and others weren't in my mind as I tried to sketch.

just awesome how you have captured the subtle changes of shape in the outline...what powers of observation to see it and masterful skills to get the hand to put it down...you are amazing

Just back from a five day trip to Landsort, which was quite incredible. What a place to go birding, involved in finding or found the following...
Dusky Warbler, Richards Pipit, Ring Ouzel(several), Golden Eagle(2nd Calender), Kittiwake(very rare on baltic coast), Shore Lark(several), Woodlark(4), a late Tree Pipit, a siberian 'tristus' Chiffchaff and a host of other birds. Heavy passage of passerines and seabirds, a huge passage of nearly 11,000 geese on October 23rd will live long in the memory...

There was a lot to see and I was birding actively, though a few things demanded I stop a sketch...

Shore Lark was one such spcies..one of the very best birds in europe. Remarkable shape shifters as regards the black markings on the head and upper breast..

Also managed a few snaps and even some nice sound recordings of these feeding birds and a couple overhead migrating..

Attachments

• l sl1.jpg
    l sl1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 75
  • l sl2.jpg
    l sl2.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 90
  • l sl3.jpg
    l sl3.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 92
A big Great Grey Shrike here, quickly sketched against the light...

A light pencil sketch of an exhausted Sparrowhawk..

A 1st calender male Ring Ouzel. An impossibly beuatiful thrush, wit stunning scalled breast and flanks, diffuse 'orange slice' on the breast, pale secondary panel and edges to remiges. Sadly, not sound recorded, love the call. Not as rare as some of the species seen, but very much a retina expander...

Blog updated with diaries and species seen, though still have to add a lot of photos and the vast bulk of the sound recordings..

Link here to a recording of the Richard's Pipit that flew past four of us on the morning of October 23rd...
http://www.xeno-canto.org/111774

Attachments

• l ggs.jpg
    l ggs.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 90
  • l sprawk.jpg
    l sprawk.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_1393.JPG.jpg
    DSC_1393.JPG.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
ouch, those shorelarks, they hurt! Haven't seen any for 14 years! Beautiful handling, soft birds with calligraphic masks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back