• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (3 Viewers)

He's just an opportunist Bryan. ;)

Hi Ken,
he's certainly a saucy opportunist.
The consensus here is that he might be ok through the winter here but will probably not survive the migration back to North America, I'm not so sure, he's very fit and seems to have adapted to his handicap with a slightly more aggressive and compensating behaviour.

A banana feeder, that's a new one on me Bryan. I did try something exotic this morning and hung two halves of a clementine on a feeder -trouble was they'd frozen solid within 20 minutes so that's taught me not to be too imaginative.:-C A nice colourful flock of eleven Crossbills turned up today, I photographed them in case they were part of the Parrot Crossbill influx that had perhaps headed south, but they were all Common. Speaking of photography, I thought folks would find this afternoon's attached pic instructive....
Hi Richard,
Now thats too cold for me and I hail from Winnipeg or as we like to call it Winterpeg ;)

Banana feeders are fairly common around here since bananas are plentiful and cheap. A large stalk of bananas and by that I mean one I can barely lift costs between 3 and 10 US dollars. Result, I can afford to keep the feeder stocked not to mention all the banana smoothies.

I didn't realize the name Parrot Crossbills existed till you mentioned them in your post. British Columbia has two species, the bog standard Red Crossbill and the slightly rarer White-winged Crossbill.
I was always fascinated by the similar parrot like behaviour of the Crossbills and the parrot habits I witness here in Central America. I've even seen Crossbills visiting salt/mineral licks just as parrots will do. Interesting behavioural niches.

Bryan

Hi Ken,

I didn't realize the name Parrot Crossbills existed till you mentioned them in your post. British Columbia has two species, the bog standard Red Crossbill and the slightly rarer White-winged Crossbill.
I was always fascinated by the similar parrot like behaviour of the Crossbills and the parrot habits I witness here in Central America. I've even seen Crossbills visiting salt/mineral licks just as parrots will do. Interesting behavioural niches.

Bryan
Oh yes, the White-winged, we've heard about that in Europe recently as one has turned up in Iceland, a very smart looking male too. Interesting the salt licks behaviour - here in winter I've seen Crossbills in the middle of the roads - I assumed it was grit swallowing for their digestive system but maybe the saltiness of the anti-ice treatment on the roads is a factor too...

Still here waiting impatiently for the finch influx here - and ever hopeful for White winged Crossbills, which will be a lifer for me....

In the mean time, interrupted breakfast this morning yelling 'PIGEON' at my boyfriend, who was in the middle of a work related anecdote - oops.

77. Feral Pigeon (First time from the garden, bird 99 on the life garden list....maybe WWCR will be 100?!).

77. Feral Pigeon (First time from the garden, bird 99 on the life garden list....maybe WWCR will be 100?!).

....."coo" :t:

No conifers here Jasperpatch! So WWCR is a no-no for me, however have had 2 records in 34 years of a single, and a group of 4 flyover "July" Crossbills!

Mince Pies to the skies. ;)

Couple of corrections

Ok, silly bookkeeping error on my part which means I officially back up one number. I should learn to leave counting up to Carey since she's a numbers gal and I'm a vague hands waving in the air kind of guy.

That means we are at 92

91. White-tipped Dove
92. Broad-winged Hawk

I will also note a misnaming from Scarlet Tanager to what is actually in the garden, Summer Tanager. I always mix up their names.
We did see a Scarlet Tanager today while out on our morning walk. He was cleverly taking advantage of a porch bound caged parrot's messy eating habits. He very kindly brought our neighbourhood list up to 131.

One species I'm missing in the garden so far are the Motmots. Where are they? I've seen them in the neighbourhood but not in the garden. They usually come to the feeders but for some reason not this year. Very odd.

Bryan

Just had a goshawk causing a panic among the crows, pigeons and rose-ringed parakeets. I've seen them flying over before but this is the first time in ten years I've seen one actually in the garden. That brings the in-garden total up to 55 species.

Just had a goshawk causing a panic among the crows, pigeons and rose-ringed parakeets. I've seen them flying over before but this is the first time in ten years I've seen one actually in the garden. That brings the in-garden total up to 55 species.

A great bird to get in the garden Stan!.....I've had them flying over, but never in the garden.

Cheers

Minus 7.5 last night, heavy snow this morning and now pouring with rain with a warm foehn wind, the world's gone mad. And look what turned up sheltering from the weather!
Just need a Snowfinch to turn up now ;)

Attachments

• Acc Alp Manigod 10.12.17.jpg
    Acc Alp Manigod 10.12.17.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 39
A french teenager I know who cuts my grass and knows I have lots of birds always in my garden asked me yesterday if I knew the name of a bird he had taken photo of couple months ago. Photos taken in the woods only few minutes from here.
I didnt so looked on internet and interesting what I found out.
Red billed Leiothrix - the photos show six birds in each photo
In recent years been lots of sightings in this part of France .

Minus 7.5 last night, heavy snow this morning and now pouring with rain with a warm foehn wind, the world's gone mad. And look what turned up sheltering from the weather!
Just need a Snowfinch to turn up now ;)

I'd give Accent-or two, for one of those :eek!:

A french teenager I know who cuts my grass and knows I have lots of birds always in my garden asked me yesterday if I knew the name of a bird he had taken photo of couple months ago. Photos taken in the woods only few minutes from here.
I didnt so looked on internet and interesting what I found out.
Red billed Leiothrix - the photos show six birds in each photo
In recent years been lots of sightings in this part of France .

It looks quite a pretty bird Brenda, hope you get to see one in your garden, it has a nice song apparently.

Still here waiting impatiently for the finch influx here - and ever hopeful for White winged Crossbills, which will be a lifer for me....

In the mean time, interrupted breakfast this morning yelling 'PIGEON' at my boyfriend, who was in the middle of a work related anecdote - oops.

Which means I'm actually on 74 - as I haven't counted Feral as usual.

A banana feeder, that's a new one on me Bryan. I did try something exotic this morning and hung two halves of a clementine on a feeder -trouble was they'd frozen solid within 20 minutes so that's taught me not to be too imaginative.:-C A nice colourful flock of eleven Crossbills turned up today, I photographed them in case they were part of the Parrot Crossbill influx that had perhaps headed south, but they were all Common. Speaking of photography, I thought folks would find this afternoon's attached pic instructive....

Do you have Marsh and Willow T there?

The AA was very nice gardenbird also. :t:

Do you have Marsh and Willow T there?

The AA was very nice gardenbird also. :t:

Yes Wari, the Marsh are around the house all year and bred in a hole in our Uncle's apple tree across the road, the Willows usually stay in the forest, last winter I only heard one once and saw none but this winter they've discovered the fast-food bird restaurant I've set up and are present daily. Each morning when I top up the feeders one of the Willow Tits comes and shouts at me from a metre away, very impatient little beggars.
About 25cms of snow today, three more Alpine Accentors feeding on the roadside and about 30 Goldfinches on the feeders, I imagine in Finland you need a spotlight to see what's in the garden at this time of year;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back