• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Safari Feb or March 2013 (1 Viewer)

Hi Marcus,

Sorry that it's taken me so long to respond - haven't been on to BF for quite some time...

Obviously, the suggestions to head to one of the reserves near Kruger or actually Kruger itself are all great. You will definitely see most of your target mammals there.

If you are wanting to avoid the big traveling distances across the country and give your wife some wildlife in luxury, there is a reserve about 2,5 hours drive from Cape Town called Sanbona Wildlife Reserve which has the Big 5 too. Apart from Leopard (which is near on impossible to find in the Cape due to their preferred habitat of rugged mountainous regions), the others are all introduced. They are however free-roaming and, with the reserve being 54000ha in size, it is not always straight-forward finding them. It is one of those reserves where you get driven around, rather than being allowed to drive on your own, but if you give them a list of target mammals up front, they will do their utmost to find them for you. The reserve also has all the other typical African species like Hippos, Giraffes, Brown Hyena, Black-backed Jackal, Caracal, African Wild Cat, etc. It will also give you an opportunity (probably one of the best in the country) to see Riverine Rabbit, the rarest mammal on the continent and the 13th rarest in the world, as well as a reasonable chance (as these things go) of finding Aardvark. Check out www.sanbona.com if you are interested.

As to the birding, most of the Cape stuff is very easy and you won't need a guide. Just pray for some good weather and the stuff at Rooi-els should be a doddle - they can be tough if the wind is howling...!

If you need any further info, you are welcome to email me or contact me via Facebook, as I check those a lot more regularly than BF.

Cheers
Trevor

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back