• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

URGENT: Can Someone Identify Bird? (2 Viewers)

Offord said:
It's fairly easy to put food into a beak, yes, but think about what happens afterwards. How do you hack it back into the wild. Just throw it out of a window? No, it takes much more than that. Rearing a young wild bird is a very big commitment. And even after all of that, it's going to have a hard time out there in the big world. If you can't put in the time and effort required, save it the suffering.
It is not a Starling!

Last edited by a moderator:
It flippin' is a Starling! It's a nestling - they start off looking blackish/greyish, until they fledge. You can see that the feathers that have come through are typical juv Starling brown (eg on the head). I've hand-reared enough of the things - that expression, head shape and big gape are characteristic.

Have a look at the pics here http://www.starlingcentral.net/babystarlings.htm

and here http://www.starlingtalk.com/albumsb/html/jpg_Messystarlings1.htm

Also, the deep red/brown legs? And can you see the pale sandy edging to the wing coverts and retrices (how many crows have you seen with a pale margin to wing feathers?)? The fact that it's fallen from a nest in an apartment block (it didn't fly there, did it!)? Would anyone like a train timetable??!

Last edited:
I think it is a starling.
apart from size and structure , which are not that well to assess, all young Corvus species I have seen (Carrion Crows,northern Raven,Jackdaw) are red coloured within the mouth and gape is more whitish, if I remember correctly

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back