• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix G1 at last - what a gem for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

I still have either the G1 or GF1 with me on my trips. As I was in Florida again I like the G1 with it's Electronic Viewfinder as it's very bright out on the beaches.

Panasonic G1 and Kowa lens/scope Prominar with Kowa 25x LER eyepiece and DA adapter

Florida,USa
May 2011

Attachments

• bb plover breed G1 kw25x_1970949.jpg
    bb plover breed G1 kw25x_1970949.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 449
  • willet breed feed G1 kwva_1970959.jpg
    willet breed feed G1 kwva_1970959.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 467
Digiscoping with Lumix G1

Hi Neil, I am intrigued by your experiences digiscoping with the Lumix G1. Is there any chance you could post a picture of your digiscope set up (obviously with an alternative camera) so I can get a feel for lens, adaptors, brackets and sizes involved? Many thanks

I had to go to Panasonic today to get the adapter for the four third lenses. As this was near the typhoon shelter I popped down to digiscope the night herons that hand around there. Dull overcast conditions so was happy to be able to use the iso 400. Distance was from 15 - 20 metres. All these were taken in RAW and converted to Tiffs in Panasonics Silkypix software and then processed in CS2.
Neil

Panasonic Lumix G1 plus Swarovski STS80HD scope and Sw 30x eyepiece and DCA adapter

Causeway Bay Typhoon Shelter,
Hong Kong,
China.
February 2009

Hi Neil, I am intrigued by your experiences digiscoping with the Lumix G1. Is there any chance you could post a picture of your digiscope set up (obviously with an alternative camera) so I can get a feel for lens, adaptors, brackets and sizes involved? Many thanks

Here are a couple of setups Steve. I use the Manfrotto 501 head on all my tripods. My newest tripod is the Gitzo Traveller. Lightweight but sturdy.
Neil

Attachments

• digiscoping kowa fort desoto DSCN9151.jpg
    digiscoping kowa fort desoto DSCN9151.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 589
  • digiscoping D7000 kw850DSCN9454.jpg
    digiscoping D7000 kw850DSCN9454.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 504
Setup

Here are a couple of setups Steve. I use the Manfrotto 501 head on all my tripods. My newest tripod is the Gitzo Traveller. Lightweight but sturdy.
Neil

Thanks Neil, good clear pictures. Would you mind just "talking" me through the hardware: G1 body - Panasonic lens/adaptor? - scope eyepiece? - scope?

Cheers again

Steve

Thanks Neil, good clear pictures. Would you mind just "talking" me through the hardware: G1 body - Panasonic lens/adaptor? - scope eyepiece? - scope?

Cheers again

Steve

Steve
The first setup is the G1 on Kowa PZ 600-1000 . There is a M4/3 - Nikon adapter between them. In the second setup the Sony Handycam is on the Kowa VA3 (video adapter). There is 37/52 adapter linking them.
Neil

I've just bought the Lumix G2. I need a remote shutter release. The Panasonic DMW-RSL1 Remote cable control retails at about £60 - a ridiculous price. I see similar non Panasonic remote shutter releases (for Lumix G2) on Ebay from Camera Market and others for about £8.99.

Are these safe to use with the Lumix G2? I’m not sure about taking a chance with one and voiding the warranty.
Do they do the exact same job as the DMW-RSL1?

I’d welcome replies about experiences good or bad with these ‘spurious’ parts.

I bought a cheap one at amazon some time ago and it works perfectly on my G1, including pre-AF with half press of the button on the cable.

I don't think the cable release is the place to cut back on when digiscoping. This year when I started using my canon s95 I used a release I had sitting around and when half pressed it would accidentally fire. I went with a Kaiser from B&H and it works fine ($60).
My only complaint is the cable has a plastic cover and I prefer cloth which is less likely to induce movement.

We talk here about a electrical cable release for a G1 (or other G series). It has a two-step button like the shutter button on the Cam, on the other side it looks like a stereo jack. The cable can be very long and flexible, so it don't create a movement.
The problem is, that the original device from Panasonic is high prized, but there are many clones from other manufactures (e.g. mine is from hama): much cheaper with the same functionality.

having a bit of a thick moment... is there away to get the center of the frame magnified for MF when using an old lens via an adapter (it works fine for MF with the Panasonic lenses). I could do this with the GF2 that I was testing the other week and want to do the same with the G1 for digiscoping. Any help would be great even if it's just to tell me that it's not possible so I stop wasting time looking for it!

postcardcv, good news for you. It works the same way as with original panasonic lenses.
I have a G2 connected via cheap chinese adapter with a Konica MF 300 / 4,5 and the frame is magnified as normal. Greetings, Hendrik

postcardcv, good news for you. It works the same way as with original panasonic lenses.
I have a G2 connected via cheap chinese adapter with a Konica MF 300 / 4,5 and the frame is magnified as normal. Greetings, Hendrik

thanks - having not used an MF lens with an adapter on the G1 before I was struggling to work out how to get it to magnify manually... sussed it now though, select the area I want and then click the menu button.

Can anyone who use the G1 (with he kit zoom) with a swaro scope and 20-60x let me know how it is for vingetting. I had one a while ago and know it worked well with the 30x but can't remember how well it worked with the zoom. I have been offered a 14-45 kit lens and will buy it if it digiscopes well with the zoom but won't bother if not!

Can anyone who use the G1 (with he kit zoom) with a swaro scope and 20-60x let me know how it is for vingetting. I had one a while ago and know it worked well with the 30x but can't remember how well it worked with the zoom. I have been offered a 14-45 kit lens and will buy it if it digiscopes well with the zoom but won't bother if not!

"..... There is too much vignetting with the zoom eyepiece at all settings. With the an eyepiece of 18 + mm of Eye Relief ( SW 30 and 45x ) there is no vignetting from 16 - 25 mm using the DCA Zoom. This is not particularly high magnification on the 30x ( equivalent to 900 - 1500 mm ) so I use the 45x a lot. "
Neil

Hi Neil
I have read some great posts on the nikon P300, but have you tryed the p500,
if so how do you rate it.
Thanks for any info.

Hi Neil
I have read some great posts on the nikon P300, but have you tryed the p500,
if so how do you rate it.
Thanks for any info.

Walt,
I have had the P500 for about a year. By coincidence I took it out to the mudflats yesterday for the first time in a while as I had been preferring the Canon SC40HS due to it's better Vibration handling at long magnifications.
I have some photos and videos taken with it here http://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/sets/72157626414882500/
I like to use it on a tripod or resting on the window ledge next to me when I'm digiscoping. I have digiscoped with it too using the Kowa VA3 adapter.
This photo of the Grey Plover was taken yesterday at about 25 meters , hand held. I have cropped it about 25%.
I'm very interested in the replacement model the P510 which should be out shortly. It's lens goes to 1000 mm!
Neil

Attachments

• grey plover P500 DSCN9829.jpg
    grey plover P500 DSCN9829.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 457
"..... There is too much vignetting with the zoom eyepiece at all settings. With the an eyepiece of 18 + mm of Eye Relief ( SW 30 and 45x ) there is no vignetting from 16 - 25 mm using the DCA Zoom. This is not particularly high magnification on the 30x ( equivalent to 900 - 1500 mm ) so I use the 45x a lot. "
Neil

cheers - saves me spending money on yet another lens... I've been really impressed with the results from the Olympus kit lens for digiscoping with G1 but have not found a good way to attach it yet.

Neil many thanks for your input the photo,s on flicker was just great, i will be on the
way to my photo shop and take a good look at the p500.
All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back