• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding stills with the PL100-400 (1 Viewer)

Nice shots all. The high ISO in NM's last post look surprisingly good; Ian's Garganey really "pops."

I took my EM-1 ii, PL 100-400, and Oly 300mm + 1.4x extender on a recent trip to the Dominican Republic. It was my first real work with the camera, so still learning it. But I have a hard time noticing any real difference between my shots with each lens--which surprised me. Both seemed to give good, and sharp results. (Was also impressed with my high ISO results). Flickr gallery of these here (the wide angle shots are with a Nikon compact):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35716495@N08/albums/72157679974424344

Thanks for the post, Jim. Looks like a brilliant trip and beautifully recorded. Some cracking wildlife images which make me want to see the place for myself - though I think the Conch Monfongo is something I could live without. Maybe it tastes better than it looks?!
Whilst I really like the 100-400, and find its versatility really useful, I have also been keeping an eye out for a used 300 Pro/1.4x. Now I'm wondering if thats an expense I should avoid. Given the ability of the current top-end M43 cameras up to iso 3200, combined with the brilliant available NR within raw processing software - I find DXO11's 'Prime' NR superb at retaining detail- maybe the loss of a stop with the zoom can be compensated for by upping the iso level, without too much loss of IQ. The prime will always be a tad sharper than the zoom, but not so sure about the prime + 1.4x.
Were you using the EM1ii's electronic shutter all/most of the time? I was a bit wary of it at first, but I never saw any loss of IQ or had any rolling shutter issues, so I now use it pretty much all the time.

Thanks for the post, Jim. Looks like a brilliant trip and beautifully recorded. Some cracking wildlife images which make me want to see the place for myself - though I think the Conch Monfongo is something I could live without. Maybe it tastes better than it looks?!
Whilst I really like the 100-400, and find its versatility really useful, I have also been keeping an eye out for a used 300 Pro/1.4x. Now I'm wondering if thats an expense I should avoid. Given the ability of the current top-end M43 cameras up to iso 3200, combined with the brilliant available NR within raw processing software - I find DXO11's 'Prime' NR superb at retaining detail- maybe the loss of a stop with the zoom can be compensated for by upping the iso level, without too much loss of IQ. The prime will always be a tad sharper than the zoom, but not so sure about the prime + 1.4x.
Were you using the EM1ii's electronic shutter all/most of the time? I was a bit wary of it at first, but I never saw any loss of IQ or had any rolling shutter issues, so I now use it pretty much all the time.

Thanks Ian. Yes, all were with the electronic shutter. Didn't have a single shot that seemed to be compromised by it.

As for the 300mm, I bought it because I was going on a trip and the 100-400 wasn't available yet. I like it, but whether you should buy it if you already have the 100-400 is a close call. One factor would likely be how much you'd be using it w/o the extender; the more you would, the more it would benefit. Another factor would be how much you'd be shooting at low shutter speeds and would need the dual IS (assuming you have an Olympus cam of course).

As for the mofongo, it's a big thing in the DR, but I can't say I was a fan. It wasn't bad, but I only finished half of it. Dominican food tends toward the bland side, and that's definitely not my style.

I do recommend the DR though if you are looking for a short, low stress trip. Cool endemic birds, quite a variety of habitats, and a number of natural areas with relatively little development.

Some from today

Attachments

• P1070493.jpg
    P1070493.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 246
  • P1070502.jpg
    P1070502.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 196
  • P1070536.jpg
    P1070536.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 230
  • P1070453.jpg
    P1070453.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 210
Looks good to me, Niels. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're enjoying the new lens - how do you feel it's performing, compared to you're old 100-300?

Thank you Ian,
my feeling is that the 100-400 is sharper, and that it is sharper at 400 than the old one was at 300.

My impressions may be confounded a little by the fact that I also got a new camera at the same time, the G85 instead of the GH2. The new camera has no AA filter (as I remember it), meaning that the combo of the new lens and camera is very much sharper than the old combo. When i zoom in on an OOC jpg, I now get about as much sharpness at 100 % as I used to get at 70% with the old combo.

Niels

I have a interesting situation which i will report back on when its concluded.

i was walking around with it on my BR strap with my hand cupped under the main lens body,i started to hear a knocking noise and it took me a few moments of walking and listening to confirm it was coming from my camera.

I slid my index finger under the extended part of the lens and could feel it bouncing up and down as i walked independently of the main lens body, then on checking with no force applied i could wobble the extended part of the lens inside the main body.

I was sorting it out last night to return to the dealer and checked it again this time it had no movement at all, having seen the movement it had earlier it confirmed to me i had experienced more movement than i should have.

After owning a few long zooms in my DX days 50-500s and 150-600s i would say it now has the amount of movement i would expect, very close to zero, as for has it affected the image quality i have no idea,i do know some shots lately i should have nailed where not sharp and i have struggled with the AF in situations i should not have.

So far I have not experienced anything remotely like that. It has also so far been very few days using the new setup.

Niels

Update on 100-400 problem

Panasonic says there is a problem with my lens and it will be replaced, i possibly will never know the nature of the problem as with it being exchanged i have no right to know.
They will have no stock for a couple of weeks but while a little frustrating i am just happy to have it resolved and am pleased with Panasonic's reaction to the situation.

At the moment ime using a loan D7100 and 70-300afs,all i can say is it feels outdated and slow,cant wait for my mirrorless gear to be up and running again.

Update on 100-400 problem

Panasonic says there is a problem with my lens and it will be replaced, i possibly will never know the nature of the problem as with it being exchanged i have no right to know.
They will have no stock for a couple of weeks but while a little frustrating i am just happy to have it resolved and am pleased with Panasonic's reaction to the situation.

Where is the 100-400 PanaLeica lens made? Japan? EU? China?
Hope you get a good sample ASAP.

:smoke:

Where is the 100-400 PanaLeica lens made? Japan? EU? China?
Hope you get a good sample ASAP.

:smoke:

Thanks,not sure where its made but i have been given a date of the 21st of June to Panasonic UK,my LCS said Panasonic are very quick at despatching so possibly within a few days of that.

Filter

Hi

I'm sure there has been some discussion on the use of filters but can't seem to find it.

I would be interested in views on whether the use of a protective filter adversely affects the lens performance. Also what filter would you recommend.

Thanks

David

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back