• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A versatile digiscoping adapter (1 Viewer)

Have just got mine this afternoon.only took 24hrs to arrive , Looks good ,feels sturdy. Will test it out soon as I can.Well done on a speedy delivery.. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
Well even though the weather wasn't that brilliant I managed to get a few shots down at the Restharrow Scrape. As I said before it was a bit fiddly connecting the camera and the remote shutter braket, but after that no problems.

Here's a few shots, please be kind as I've only been doing this for a few weeks now.

Attachments

• snipe.jpg
    snipe.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 203
  • lap.jpg
    lap.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 209
  • snipes.jpg
    snipes.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 179
Hi Steve

Be kind you say ! these are very nice shots - i assume that these are 'as taken' and not manipulated / enhanced

All I hope is that my first efforts as half as good as yours !!!!!.

Out of interest what camera / scope are you using.

Great pic's

All I did with the images was to sharpen them slightly and then crop the size.

Im using a Canon A95 and an Opticron ES80 ED with a 32xWW eyepiece.

Thanks for the kind words, its nice to get some positive feedback espicially when i'm just starting. |=)|

SteveC said:
Thanks for the kind words, its nice to get some positive feedback espicially when i'm just starting. |=)|

Hi Steve,

Not bad shots at all. I too am a recent newbie at this digiscoping lark (unintentional pun?) and found a couple of weeks practice made a lot of difference to the quality of the shots. Post some larger images in your gallery, you should get some feedback, I found it boosted my morale lots. Keep at it, you are showing promise.

Regards,

Duncan.

Hi all,
Tested mine out today..
I find it a GREAT deal better than hand holding camera onto scope,and a LOT easier to move the scope around and focus etc.
I do find it a little bit fiddly to use but will get used to it in time.The one complaint is that the camera mounting plate is hard plastic and not metal. For the £30 price tag I will give it a GREAT BIG THUMBS UP.. :t:
hers a cpl of photos taken using it today in a Northly gale. Photo 3 is where Im going to hang it when not in use.(in the field)

Last edited:
blythkeith said:
That's a relief, LSB - I'd have felt dead guilty if it didn't suit!

;)

Are you using a remote shutter release for those shots?

No still got to press shutter button. Camera Ive got wont take a cable (FUJI FINE PIX A330).I just cropped them and did a little bit of sharpening.Wind was Very strong.Thanks for the Link.. :clap:

Thanks, looks like I can use this with my 25-150x70 binoculars. I hope to look through one eye piece to get the target then snap wth my camera attached to the other.

Just for information,

I was able to quickly try Little Stint Boy's adaptor on my Zeiss zoom EP, and I'm chuffed to say that with it in place, the EP zoom is completely usable.

I'm ordering my adaptor as we speak!

;)

Well the weather was a lot better than I thought so I managed to practice a bit more, and even if I do say so myself I think I'm getting better.

Just a quick question Keith, you mentioned fixing a shock bead to you cable release, how did you attach it. On my cable the the spike is always fully retracted into the outer case, so I can't see a way of ataching it, any help would be gratefuly received.

Heres a couple of snaps from the weekend from Restharrow Scrape again.

Attachments

• ringo.jpg
    ringo.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 220
  • grego.jpg
    grego.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 236
blythkeith said:
Just for information,

I was able to quickly try Little Stint Boy's adaptor on my Zeiss zoom EP, and I'm chuffed to say that with it in place, the EP zoom is completely usable.

I'm ordering my adaptor as we speak!

;)

Keith,
I`m glad you managed to fit it without fouling the Ziess zoom. Have tried it on mine and it just slightly overlaps/touchs to prevent use. Will take it to work and get 5mm chopped off the back. Do you ever have problems with the zoom unlocking?. I do and it really bugs me. Also do you use the Zeiss case?.
The zipper jams on mine and is rather loose. Not worth £80 in my opinion.
Brilliant scope & eyepeice though.

Regards,
Brian.

On the strength of reading the reviews in this thread, I've just bought the Baader Adapter from David Hinds. I ordered it on line on Sunday evening & received it today. At £30, including post & packing, I think it's excellent value & a great turnaround time. It's my first adapter & it connects my Canon A95 to my Kowa TSN 821 with 20-60 zoom, with no trouble at all. Although I've only tried it in the back garden for half an hour in fading light, it's such an improvement on my previous attempts at hand held shots. I'm looking forward to trying it out in the field at the weekend. The only thing against it that I've noticed so far is that because it clamps to the zoom lens, if I increase the magnification by turning the lens the camera (obviously) moves with it, but as I reach the required magnification & let go of the lens, the weight of the adapter & camera makes the lens turn back until the camera & adapter is again at the bottom. This doesn't seem to happen when the camera reaches horizontal or beyond (ie has moved 90 degrees or more).
I'm an absolute novice (as you've probably gathered from my feeble attempt at explaining the "problem") & thus have nothing to compare the adapter with, only prices of others that have been suggested elsewhere in this forum. I cannot comment on weight, ease of use etc at the moment but I have to agree with others who have commented (& whose advice I followed) that for a beginner this adapter seems like a real good low price investment.
I'll try it out more & post further comments in due course.
Col

Colin S said:
shots. The only thing against it that I've noticed so far is that because it clamps to the zoom lens, if I increase the magnification by turning the lens the camera (obviously) moves with itCol

Hello Colin,
I think you may of clamped it onto the `wrong` part of the eyepeice.
The camera should remain static when the zoom is increased. On my EP (zeiss zoom) I have clamped it on the front, ie, the zoom adjustment ring is behind the clamp.
Have been trying it out with my old Canon A40. Seems to work OK.
Simple to set up, but be careful to allow enough space between lens & eyepeice, or you will get error 18, like I did!.
I have not tightened the clamp right up, because I`m a bit wary of over doing it, I`m sure it must be OK though.
The good thing is it allows you to try other cameras without having to pay silly prices for yet more adaptors. The only disadvantage would be having to keep taking it off and then realigning it each time, when you want to use the scope on its own. I`m going to set mine up with an old scope I never use and keep it for the garden.
Hope you sort yours out,
Regards,
Brian.

siberian said:
Hello Colin,
I think you may of clamped it onto the `wrong` part of the eyepeice.
The camera should remain static when the zoom is increased. On my EP (zeiss zoom) I have clamped it on the front, ie, the zoom adjustment ring is behind the clamp.
Brian and Colin,
The Kowa zoom is a long eyepiece where almost the whole external surface rotates during zooming - I doubt that the clamp can be attached on the front (at least stably). It is the same with my Swarovski zoom: the whole setup rotates when I zoom. I would suggest to keep the zoom constantly at 20x and and use only the camera zoom (and try to get close to the target). You don't actually get more resolution above 30x.

Good luck, :t:

Ilkka

Hi Brian,

I don't use the Zeiss case for exactly the reasons you mention - I'd read that it was a very poor effort.

I use a Skua stay-on from Focal Point instead, and it's excellent.

As to using the clamp on the Zeiss zoom: admittedly I only had a brief go with LSB's adaptor - and no camera was involved - but by fitting it onto the "eyecup" of the eyepiece there seemed to be loads of room clear of the zoom mechanism, which means that I will (hopefully) be able to use the zoom without any problems like unscrewing the zoom.

This will be with a Canon A95, incidentally.

As a matter of interest, has anybody thought of an possible adaptations (I hesitate to say "improvements"! ;) )to the adaptor?

It occurs to me that it would not be too hard to replace the rather kludgy screw locking mechanism with a spring loaded alternative, simply by trimming and blanking off the long screw thread (possibly grinding down the thread a bit), and putting a suitable strength spring in between the inner frame and the upper jaw.

It would (if it worked!) make putting it off and on a bit quicker, and it would reduce the overall bulk of the thing a fair bit.

Just a thought...

Hi Brian & Colin

Further to Ilkka's reply I am using the adaptor on Swaro with a 20 x 60 zoom.

I have two ways of using the zoom whilst the adaptor is in place
1. mount the adaptor on the 10mm piece that does not move - this will only be possable if the camera's lens extends far enough to reach the eye piece.
2. Too slacken the adaptor enough to use the zoom only takes the smallest of turns on the adaptor.

I am changing to the Canon A95 so once I have practiced a little with the camera I can see that by using option 1 - if the camera lens is not close enough to the scope I can get a local machine shop to cut away almost 1/2 of the lens clamp thus allowing the zoom to rotate and the camera lens to have a snug fit.

Hope this helps !!

blythkeith said:
Hi Brian,

It would (if it worked!) make putting it off and on a bit quicker, and it would reduce the overall bulk of the thing a fair bit.

Just a thought...

mmmmmmmm Keith

Well there's a good thought.

Let me get my Cannon and when I am having my mod's done I will see if they can get a spring loaded piece installed. My only concern would be maintaining the grip - although the springs would be compressed to open up and take the eyepiece. I'll take the machine shop's advice and let you know

Hi Fr0sty,

it was really just a mad thought I had, but as long as the spring was reasonably strong, and the inner jaws were surfaced with something pretty grippy like rubber, it might work...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back